Speeches from the memorial?

raingirl

Proud Member
Where can I find the speeches held at the memorial? Is there anywhere a web page that has ALL the speeches and stuff from it? Or a thread here where I could read the notes that Mandela and D. Ross etc sent and the speeches.

Hi the videos are all on youtube i think. if you want text/trancripts, you can go to cnn trancripts page. I rememeber they covered it live and the transcripts were there. Find the July 7th pages. It'll be there.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0907/07/acd.02.html
OK this is what I found that came closest to what I was looking for.

and http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0907/07/cnr.07.html

I'm still looking for the little notes that were read at the begining, from D.Ross and N.Mandela.

She (Queen Latifah) then went on to read a poem that Maya Angelou wrote in tribute for the occasion called

"We Had Him"
"Beloveds, now we know that we know nothing, now that our bright and shining star can slip away from our fingertips like a puff of summer wind.
Without notice, our dear love can escape our doting embrace. Sing our songs among the stars and walk our dances across the face of the moon.
In the instant that Michael is gone, we know nothing. No clocks can tell time. No oceans can rush our tides with the abrupt absence of our treasure.
Though we are many, each of us is achingly alone, piercingly alone.
Only when we confess our confusion can we remember that he was a gift to us and we did have him.
He came to us from the creator, trailing creativity in abundance.
Despite the anguish, his life was sheathed in mother love, family love, and survived and did more than that.
He thrived with passion and compassion, humor and style. We had him whether we know who he was or did not know, he was ours and we were his.
We had him, beautiful, delighting our eyes.
His hat, aslant over his brow, and took a pose on his toes for all of us.
And we laughed and stomped our feet for him.
We were enchanted with his passion because he held nothing. He gave us all he had been given.
Today in Tokyo, beneath the Eiffel Tower, in Ghana's Black Star Square.
In Johannesburg and Pittsburgh, in Birmingham, Alabama, and Birmingham, England
We are missing Michael.
But we do know we had him, and we are the world."

Diana Ross:
I want you to know, even though I am not there at the Staples Center, I am there in my heart. I've decided to pause and be silent. This feels right for me.
Michael was a personal love of mine, a treasured part of my world, part of the fabric of my life, and the way that I can't seem to find words to express. Michael wanted me to be there for his children, and I will be there if they ever need me.
I hope today brings closure for all those who loved him. Thank you, Katherine and Joe, for sharing your son with the world and with me. I send my love and condolences to the Jackson family.

Nelson Mandela
Dear Jackson family,

It is with great sadness that we learnt of the untimely death of Michael Jackson. Michael became close to use after he started visiting and performing in South Africa regularly.

We became fond of him and he became a close member of our family. We had great admiration for his talent and that he was able to triumph over tragedy on some many occasion in his life.

Michael was a giant and a legend in the music industry and we mourn with the millions of fans worldwide. We also mourn with his family and his friends over the loss of a dear friend. He will be missed and memories cherished of him for a long time.

Be strong,

Nelson Mandela

So, some came today, Mrs. Jackson, to say goodbye to Michael.
I came to say, thank you.
Thank you because you never stopped,
Thank you because you never gave up,
Thank you because you never gave out,
Thank you because you tore down our divisions.
Thank you because you eradicated barriers.
Thank you because you gave us hope.
Thank you Michael.
Thank you Michael.
Thank you Michael!
-Rev. Al Sharpton-

Back