When Did TV Shows Jump the Shark?

Karice

Proud Member
JTS is the moment when TV shows just turn really bad....

In The Famous Jett Jackson, the show Jumped The shark when Silverstone and Jett Jackson became seperate peopple and met each other in real life....:bugeyed:doh:. WTF? Silverstone is Jett Jackson's character on a show called Silverstone.... even young kids would know that this is pure shit that an actor and his character met each other in real life....:doh::bugeyed

I used to really like the Show Home Improvement but I beleive it jumped the shark after the character Randy Taylor left the show to go to college. He didn't even appear in the final episode..

And Roseanne used to be a good show - then they won the lottery.. Which at the end of the series explained that never actually happened it was just a dream or fantasy because Dan died..

JTS is the moment when TV shows just turn really bad....

In The Famous Jett Jackson, the show Jumped The shark when Silverstone and Jett Jackson became seperate peopple and met each other in real life....:bugeyed:doh:. WTF? Silverstone is Jett Jackson's character on a show called Silverstone.... even young kids would know that this is pure shit that an actor and his character met each other in real life....:doh::bugeyed

Wait a minute. Wouldn't that be like Russell Brand and Aldous Snow meeting each other on screen in GHTTG? Lol. :doh::lmao:

And Roseanne used to be a good show - then they won the lottery.. Which at the end of the series explained that never actually happened it was just a dream or fantasy because Dan died..

Yeah, that was weird. :mello:

To me, it seems that a lot of shows start jumping the shark when a baby is born or when the family goes on a vacation.

The O.C. - When Marissa went "lesbian", and a host of very unlikable characters were added to the show. Tried too hard to shock people. Plus, the show just peaked a little too fast, and burned very quickly.

Married With Children - When they added that kid "Seven" to the cast. Don't think they ever really recovered from that.

In Living Color - When the entire Wayans family + Jim Carrey jumped ship.

The Cosby Show - When Denise......did whatever the hell she was doing. lol and everybody got older.

Martin - the sexual harrassment case between Martin and Tisha Campbell brought an awkward and unfortunate end to a really funny show.

The Wayans Bros. - The WB network jumped the shark on this show and pretty much their entire lineup.

The O.C. - When Marissa went "lesbian", and a host of very unlikable characters were added to the show. Tried too hard to shock people. Plus, the show just peaked a little too fast, and burned very quickly.

Married With Children - When they added that kid "Seven" to the cast. Don't think they ever really recovered from that.

In Living Color - When the entire Wayans family + Jim Carrey jumped ship.

The Cosby Show - When Denise......did whatever the hell she was doing. lol and everybody got older.

Martin - the sexual harrassment case between Martin and Tisha Campbell brought an awkward and unfortunate end to a really funny show.

The Wayans Bros. - The WB network jumped the shark on this show and pretty much their entire lineup.

Martin sexually harrassed his own wife? yep. that shark shoulda ate hollywood while it had the chance. but then, maybe it's a slow digestive process like a plant. hopefully..

I have realized that many shows JTS in the fourth season....:( Many shows just get bad in the fourth season. My main two theories for the bad fourth season is either the writers get slacky because the fourth season is when shows go into syndication,which means that whatever they do, the show can get picked up by any network, so the writers don't care about writing as good quality as the other thre good seasons.

My second theory is that the show runs out of good ideas, and bring in overplayed cliches, or, maybe worse, they re-use their own good idea from an earlier season. The Cosby Show did this a few times. They had Rudy's Slumber Party(good idea), in around 1984 or 1985, and it was new and fresh, and original. The party was revamped into Olivia's Birthday Party in around 1990,(reused good idea), and it was spooky how similar the parties were. It seemed stale since it was already done before. TCS also re-used a good idea, TWICE! :bugeyed: In 1985, they had an episode where they had the family lipsynch and dance to Ray Charles's, "Nighttime Is The Right Time," for Cliff's parents's 49th anniversary, and it was really funny and entertaining. In 1986, the family once again lipsynched and danced to a James Brown song for the 50th anniversary where he sings,"Baby, baby, baby," and it was just, WTF?" they lipsynched AGAIN?" :doh: In 1990, Olivia lipsynched for the Grandparent's 54th anniversary, to a song called, "I'm A Woman," by Koko Taylor. WTF? This was now way overboard. And a little creepy. The song was a bit mature to have a little girl lipsynch to.:doh: Come on, the lipsynching was ridiculous by now. They should have lipsynched the Ray Charles song for the 50th anniversary(really, who does a special elaborate thing for the 49th anniversary?) Or just did the lipsynching ONCE, and let it drop forever.

^^Totally agree with you about the re-used ideas! And do you ever notice when you see an idea used on a show that they totally stole from another show? Can't give a specific example, but I have seen this happen numerous times. I'll be watching a show and see a storyline evolve and it hits me that I saw that on another show. So annoying.

Back