New prehistoric lobster family, found on June 25 ’09 named after Michael Jackson

billyworld99

Proud Member
A Dutch palaeontologist, René Fraaije, has named a new family of lobsters after Michael Jackson. Fraaije, also managing director of the prehistory museum in Boxtel (the Netherlands) named the small anmial Mesoparapylocheles Michaeljacksoni.

Fraaije discoverd the prehistoric animal together with a group of students in Spain on June 25, 2009. It wasn’t until he investigated the animal until he found out it is a very rare fossil. It isn’t only a new animal, it’s even a new animal family.

Because this was a very special find he felt it deserved a new name. He says “It was already a very special day. On that day a special artist died too. That’s why I decided to name the lobster family after the King Of Pop.”

The Mesoparapylocheles Michaeljacksoni lobster family Cretaceous period. During this period dinosaurs were still alive!
Mesoparapylocheles

http://www.legendarymichaeljackson.nl/?p=7388

how come this is only found on MJ fan sites? It's kinda fishy :S Though Rene Fraanje is indeed a paleontologist. I don't get the part about "family" since family usually ends with a "....dae" ie. "Anatidae" is the family for ducks. Shouldn't the binomial name like "Mesoparapylocheles Michaeljacksoni" be a species not a family name?

Thanks for posting.This is interesting.

Frankyboy5;3578234 said:
how come this is only found on MJ fan sites? It's kinda fishy :S Though Rene Fraanje is indeed a paleontologist. I don't get the part about "family" since family usually ends with a "....dae" ie. "Anatidae" is the family for ducks. Shouldn't the binomial name like "Mesoparapylocheles Michaeljacksoni" be a species not a family name?

I don't understand much about it,but I found this :
Two new paguroids, Cretatrizocheles olazagutiensis n. gen., n. sp. and Mesoparapylocheles michaeljacksoni n. gen., n. sp., both based on carapaces, are described and added to the very diverse mid-Cretaceous (Albian-Cenomanian) decapod crustacean fauna of the reefal deposits near Alsasua (Navarra, northern Spain). The description of Annuntidiogenes worfi is emended on the basis of a newly discovered, much more complete carapace. Mesoparapylocheles n. gen. is a member of the Parapylochelidae n. fam., whereas Cretatrizocheles n. gen. is a member of the Trizochelinae. These species show that the linea transversalis, introduced by neontologists for a groove lateral and/or posterior to the cervical groove, is an evolved part of the branchiocardiac groove.
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/schweiz/njbgeol/2012/00000263/00000001/art00010

You have to pay to read the entire paper.It says this is the source : Neues Jahrbuch für Geologie und Paläontologie Volume 263, Number 1, January 2012 , pp. 85-92(8) http://www.schweizerbart.de/journals/njgpa

Selene;3578407 said:
Thanks for posting.This is interesting.

I don't understand much about it,but I found this :
Two new paguroids, Cretatrizocheles olazagutiensis n. gen., n. sp. and Mesoparapylocheles michaeljacksoni n. gen., n. sp., both based on carapaces, are described and added to the very diverse mid-Cretaceous (Albian-Cenomanian) decapod crustacean fauna of the reefal deposits near Alsasua (Navarra, northern Spain). The description of Annuntidiogenes worfi is emended on the basis of a newly discovered, much more complete carapace. Mesoparapylocheles n. gen. is a member of the Parapylochelidae n. fam., whereas Cretatrizocheles n. gen. is a member of the Trizochelinae. These species show that the linea transversalis, introduced by neontologists for a groove lateral and/or posterior to the cervical groove, is an evolved part of the branchiocardiac groove.
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/schweiz/njbgeol/2012/00000263/00000001/art00010

You have to pay to read the entire paper.It says this is the source : Neues Jahrbuch für Geologie und Paläontologie Volume 263, Number 1, January 2012 , pp. 85-92(8) http://www.schweizerbart.de/journals/njgpa

Frankyboy5 is right...it seems (from the above article) that the family name is Parapylochelidae.
(The 'modern-day' relatives seem to look a bit like hermit crabs?)

It's still a great honour to have a species named after you though! I think Michael would probably have been ... thrilled.

Last edited:
Yeah, for some reason i like it too. I would be irrationally ticked off if this dutch chap named the lobster Mesoparapylocheles farrahfawcetti.

I'm actually excited about this.I think it's a great honour and Mike probably would have liked it.
It reminds me to when a moon crater was named after him (granted,that made more sense because of his connection with the moon,but still).Also,the fact that it was discovered so near to where I live makes this news special to me for some reason.

I found another press release :

New species named after Michael Jackson

Added: (Tue Jan 10 2012)

Pressbox (Press Release) - Press Release Oertijdmuseum Boxtel, the Netherlands: Fossil Hermit Crab named after Michael Jackson
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Fossil Hermit Crab named after Michael Jackson
On Thursday June 25th 2009, an international team of paleontologists did a great discovery in northern Spain. Not only did they find a new species of hermit crab, but it also appeared to represent a new genus, and even a new family was erected after careful study. Even more impressive was the day of the spectacular find. The paleontologists learned the same evening in a local restaurant in the city of Alsasua that the ‘King of Pop’ had passed away that day. Thus, they decided to honor Michael Jackson by naming the new species after him: Mesoparapylocheles michaeljacksoni.
“We discovered the shield of the new hermit crab in an abandoned limestone quarry in the foothills of the Pyrenees in the Spanish province Navarra,” explains co-author Adiël Klompmaker, a PhD-candidate in the Geology Department of Kent State University. “These rocks in the Koskobilo quarry are part of a fossil coral reef with an age of 100 million years. This is right in the middle of the Cretaceous period, when dinosaurs were dominating the continents. In this area in northern Spain, we find many invertebrate fossils such as corals, algae, sea urchins, but also a wide variety of crabs. ”
Mesoparapylocheles michaeljacksoni has one living relative from the same family. Parapylocheles scorpio lives in deep waters of the Indian and Pacific Oceans. “However, the new hermit crab lived in the shallow waters of a coral reef hidden in between the branching corals,” tells lead author and director of the Dutch Oertijdmuseum René Fraaije. Still undiscovered species of the same family must, thus, have migrated to deeper waters at some point in time.
Nowadays, hermit crabs predominantly use a snail shell as a shelter when the shell comes available after the death of the snail. When the extinct ammonites were still around in the Cretaceous, they would also use their shell sometimes. Klompmaker: “We are not sure what the fossil hermit crabs from Spain used as a protection, because snail and ammonite shells are extremely rare in the quarry. They may have relied on the additional protection provided by the branching corals, as hermit crabs are rare in rocks from the same quarry that contain few corals.”
Fossil shields of hermit crabs are much rarer than those of true crabs (Brachyura), which are a separate group within the decapod crustaceans. Today, less than a dozen of these shields are known and much concerning the evolution of this group still remains undiscovered.
The Oertijdmuseum Boxtel is one of the leading institutes in the world studying fossil decapod crustaceans such as crabs, lobsters, shrimp, and hermit crabs.
The scientific publication on the new species and yet another new species and genus is just published online: Fraaije, R.H.B., A.A. Klompmaker, & P. Artal. 2012. New species, genera and a family of hermit crabs (Crustacea, Anomura, Paguroidea) from a mid-Cretaceous reef of Navarra, northern Spain. Neues Jahrbuch für Geologie und Paläontologie Abhandlungen 263: 85-92. http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/schweiz/njbgeol/2012/00000263/00000001/art00010

http://www.pressbox.co.uk/detailed/International/New_species_named_after_Michael_Jackson_816219.html

So there's a school named after him. Now a lobster? Hmm, ok.

Just remembered something, hehe, there was the whole lobster scene in "Love actually". Little girl is all excited about a lobster- in the nativity play. So I think it all makes sense now. Hehe.

Love that movie :p I think this is great actually :D *pictures a Moonwalking lobster*

Actually it is a very prestigious honor.
Michael has a newley found prehistoric species named after him.
It will be in scientific literature for all time. :) Michael is relevant everywhere

This is Mesoparapylocheles michaeljacksoni.

mj-hermit.jpg

I figured it may fascinate you all to know a Mesozoic hermit crab species was scientifically named after Michael.

Re: This is Mesoparapylocheles michaeljacksoni.

Yes. they found him right after Michael death. that's why he is name after him.

That is true. It's actually quite fascinating to know Michael's is officially used in science.

I didn't know this -- that's awesome!

Back