Saw Jackie in Antwerp, but wasn't very polite

PieterM

Proud Member
Hi guys,

First of all, you must know I'm a huge fan of The Jacksons en Michael Jackson. I was thrilled when I heard that The Jacksons were coming to Antwerp (Belgium) for a series of concerts (Night of the Proms).

Tonight it's their first show, so I watched some interviews online and I noticed they were staying in the hotel in front of the train station. Because I go to school their I walked to the hotel, maybe to catch a glimps of The Jacksons. But I saw no one, so I went to the station and there, behind the corner, Jackie Jackson was walking in disguise with his girlfriend (?) and bodyguard (not a real one, actually). He was wearing some trainers and some sport shoes, and some glasses.

I wasn't sure it was him, so I kept walking an looked at a distance to be sure. And it was Jackie. I was kinda nervous to ask, but I went to Jackie and asked very polite (really) "I'm sorry, but could I ask you something"... immediately the bodyguard interrupted me "No, no", he walked further, Jackie didn't turn around to look, and walked further.

I was like, wow. He's in disguise, I asked it in a place where no one would noticed it that it was Jackie and he didn't say anything back. Ofcourse, I respect their privacy and all, but it's their first tour since very long and their first concert today in Europe. Actually, he must be happy that a lot of fans are coming to the show, not?

Really I was thinking, The Jacksons and their message of L.O.V.E. and in every interview of them you hear "how great the fans are". But when it comes to reality, they don't look behind.

Just wanted to share this story.

Reactions: Bee
I wasn't sure it was him, so I kept walking an looked at a distance to be sure. And it was Jackie. I was kinda nervous to ask, but I went to Jackie and asked very polite (really) "I'm sorry, but could I ask you something"... immediately the bodyguard interrupted me "No, no", he walked further, Jackie didn't turn around to look, and walked further.

He was probably worried you were going to ask if he had decided to change his name as well.

I noticed they were staying in the hotel in front of the train station. Because I go to school their I walked to the hotel, maybe to catch a glimps of The Jacksons. But I saw no one, so I went to the station and there, behind the corner, Jackie Jackson was walking in disguise with his girlfriend (?) and bodyguard (not a real one, actually). He was wearing some trainers and some sport shoes, and some glasses.

Wow, you mean to tell me that you went to their hotel and saw NO ONE! No adoring fans standing outside, screaming their names. How can that be, I bet Jermaine Jacksun is very upset by that non-development. LOL!

aww wow..... that's sad. Just curious, what kind of disguise did he have on? LOL

@PieterM I'm not a Jackson brother fan but I'm really sorry that happened to you. You are a fan and you plucked up the courage to go and speak and clearly it has upset you at being given the 'cold shoulder'. Even if he was being hurried along, he could have smiled at you at least. :(

Indeed a painful experience.

I guess they were afraid it starts with one fan, someone (even from distance) notices it and in a second they are surrounded by a hundred people...

What I find stupid about the behavior, is that Jackie is not being flooded by fans, so why can't he say hello to ONE person? This just shows a lack of social graces. I mean if thousands of fans were hounding this man, screaming out their love, and stalking him, then I could see him trying to avoid people and having a bodyguard keep strangers away. Even Michael would say hello, which shows how different Michael was from the brothers.

:hysterical: :tease::cheeky:

Indeed, see how 'damaging' this is to your 'rep' if you give ONLY one fan the 'cold touch'...

Yep, Michael was always recognized and swarmed but he knew how to handle us... with just a wave, a smile or even a peace sign... I wish they all changed their last name though to :shutup:

:hysterical: :tease::cheeky:

Indeed, see how 'damaging' this is to your 'rep' if you give ONLY one fan the 'cold touch'...

Yep, Michael was always recognized and swarmed but he knew how to handle us... with just a wave, a smile or even a peace sign... I wish they all changed their last name though to :shutup:

LOL Absolutely! It would seem that Jackie has a very short memory, 3 and a bit years ago he could have walked anywhere without being 'bothered', you would think that he would be more appreciative.

BTW @PieterM What were you going to ask him?

I'd have thought he would be delighted that even just one person recognised him, it's not as if fans were standing in line waiting to 'bother' him.

^Really. Some of the brothers forget that it's 2012 and not the 1970s.

Was it really even him?

Still waiting on the disguise description :innocent:

Hi guys I'm back!

Something really strange happened today! I was walking back in Antwerp (I go to school there) and suddenly Jackie passed by. I was really surprised. I knew he was heading to his hotel so I went further to the stopping lights where he would. Suddenly he stood next to me, with his girlfriend.

First, I asked "Excuse me", but he didn't hear. Then I said "Excuse me sir, could I get an autograph of you?". He answered me: No. I was surprised. Again, he says no? I asked why? He said, I don't give it to you guys. You only are trying to sell it. I said: "Excuse me? Why would I do that?" Immediately I said: I'm a real fan of The Jacksons, I've brought my album collection with me.

Then he came closer to me and said: "Ok, good, but not here." He said to walk further, so I went a little bit further in the street and he and his girlfriend followed me. Then I took my cd collection (The Jacksons collection with the 5 cd's) and he signed one. He said "Do you have another?" I said, yes (but I was a little bit embarassed because it were 5 cd's :s. I gave the second one, and then his girlfriend was talking to me. "Oh, that's a lovely box. It's from... ah Epic." And then Jackie was signing the other albums and he shook my hand, and his girlfriend was talking about Antwerp and so on. I also said that I didn't want to disturb them in their free time, but his girlfriend said "that's not a problem". Also we talked a bit about the show he gave yesterday (the evening before). I said I really enjoyed it. He was pleased I said that. And in the end Jackie gave me another hand, just like his girlfriend.

It was quite strange that he said "I don't give any autographs", but in the end they were both very friendly. Maybe they have bad experiences?

They try to play off Michael's genuine message of love but they don't share it. I know what you mean. I experienced their impoliteness too. But I met Michael..and HE WAS the polite one. He was the genuine article. Like many, i wonder if he was adopted, although i know different. He certainly was spiritually adopted and born in a place separate from the rest of that family. A much better place than the rest of that family.

Haaaaaa what a story. OK so Jackie snubs people who he thinks want to sell his autograph. Now, let me see if I understand his thinking: he signs the fan's cd's, so what is to prevent the fan from selling those with Jackie's signature on them? Does he think that because the person has cd's it shows that the person is a fan who will not sell the product. Is this some new kind of thinking because I do not understand it.

No cd's = you want to sell my autograph
You have cd's = you will not sell my autograph

They are worried about someone selling something of theirs? But they have no problem selling things of Michael's.

Wow, who says lightning doesn't strike twice!

Strange he would say no to one autograph and then sign all those CD's... Anyway, did you get a picture with him?

^^^^ Sounds really strange!
Has Jackie gone to twilight zone?

What kind of disguise he was on earlier when you met him? I wouldn't think that he has that kind of fans (maybe in the 70's) anymore that he needs disguise or bodyguard!

They try to play off Michael's genuine message of love but they don't share it. I know what you mean. I experienced their impoliteness too. But I met Michael..and HE WAS the polite one. He was the genuine article. Like many, i wonder if he was adopted, although i know different. He certainly was spiritually adopted and born in a place separate from the rest of that family. A much better place than the rest of that family.

Indeed, :agree: I sometimes think Michael was switched at birth too cause WOW :blink: I can't 'comprehend' HOW Jackie acts and thinks here...

@ PieterM: That is indeed a :tease:story... A :smilerolleyes: kind of thinking and acting towards a fan... Oh well...

It's quite endearing that jackie thinks his autograph will sell for like, money. And that he feels he needs to be disguise to escape the relentless pressure of maurauding fans. Endearing, but delusional.

@pieterM - glad you finally got acknowledged.

The first meeting I think Jackie wanted some privacy nothing more nothing less. All the rest is speculaltion. Michael even spoke about this saying on his free time people would even stalk him into the bathroom. He said there is a time and place - This was probably not the time and place for Jackie. But I dont understand his concern of anyone wanting to sell his autograph or not. Im sure MJ knew his autographs were being sold by some people. Does it matter? Any way in the end it turns out a positive experience for all concerned. I wouldnt read to much into it.

That's so rude of him to me. Does Jackie think he is diva? I never heard Michael ever turned down a fan and I had read many fans stories about their experience of meeting michael that made me envy them so much. We all know some Michael's fans were too 'passionate' and over the top while seeing him but Michael was still very kind to them. Michael was always grateful to his fans the point it's like he owed his fans. I remember a story from teddy Riley that Michael went to his place and wanted some peace(media went crazy of finding him). when they were out, Michael was recognized by two fans, so he signed the autograph for them and invited them to visit his studio the next day if they didn't tell the media, something like that. Michael was always nice to his fans under whatever circumstances.

Find another story from a fan met Michael. The difference:D
When I met Michael Jackson
By Tabitha Messick

"It's very nice to meet you too," Michael Jackson said to me in his very soft, high voice, as I had the amazing experience of meeting him, unexpectedly, in Orlando, Florida in 2002 when, by chance, we were eating at the same restaurant.

I was competing at the Miss America Jr. Teen pageant and on the last night my family and I ate at a very popular Japanese steakhouse, the Benihana (which Michael told me was one of his favorites).

My family got out of our seats when we heard a lot of commotion at a nearby table. When our cook told us that Michael Jackson was eating in the next room, we couldn't believe it. We left our chairs and our food to see if it was true. It was.

Michael was so gracious and generous, at times even shy. The owners closed the restaurant to additional customers and Michael took pictures and talked with people for over two hours. Everyone was standing in line to meet him. He was very patient and sweet despite the numerous people and downright chaos. I particularly remember people outside the restaurant's locked glass doors banging and shouting to get in to see him.

I saw poised beauty queens turn outright giddy in a matter of seconds of just seeing him. Everyone around him was talking loudly and screaming, not only for his attention, but because they were impressed. I felt a natural high and an excitement that rivaled Christmas and birthdays. Energy and excitement radiates from Michael! As he walked outside to a waiting car, hundreds of fans were gathered. As his car drove off, I saw two women pass out.

His kids, wearing spiderman masks, were with him along with an entourage of about 10 people. Michael talked with everyone and it took him hours to slowly walk out of the restaurant to the limo outside. He signed autographs and gave hugs. He was very relaxed and seemed genuinely happy.

I actually wasn't a huge Jackson fan, besides knowing him and appreciating his music, until I met him (my junior year in high school) and since then I defended him during the next years. When I met him he was nothing like those reports you see on T.V. The literal pandemonium that surrounded him was unreal. It really put into perspective the good and bad of his amazing star power. And yet he still remained calm, composed and childlike.

It's been really tragic to hear of his passing. He is such a huge international star. I've been living in China for almost two years, and I've found that Chinese people universally know two people- Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson. Sometimes showing the picture of me and him, especially in China where it is hard for me to communicate, has been a great conversation starter.

I feel incredibly honored to have met him. There's just something about him and being in his presence that is hard to explain- it's simply...special.

Messick is a 23-year-old American living and working in Beijing.

(China.org.cn July 9, 2009)

Last edited:
Back