For the love of Michael Jackson's singles!

Remembuh

Proud Member
I was going through a stash of Epic-era MJ and Jacksons 45's earlier and having the best time playing them all front-to-back. They got a little carried away with repeat b-sides in the 80's ("Get On The Floor" and "Can't Get Outta The Rain" appear on roughly 25 singles apiece j/k), but some of the later releases with instrumentals were nice to hear.

I've always been a big fan of the concise edits labels would come up with ("Thriller" was especially tight on the single mix), though I wonder how Michael felt about them at the time. I suppose he didn't mind seeing how many times he went back to tweak the Epic albums for updates/reissues.

Any other fans of Michael's single releases? I've tracked down most of them, though I still need the edits for "Find Me A Girl" and "You Can't Win (Part 1)". If anyone in the know can describe what was changed/cut from those I'd love to read about it.

I'm off to flip over "Remember The Time" to hear the dance remix of "Black Or White". :D

xx

^^When was "Can't Get Outta the Rain" recorded? I just listened to it on YouTube and it reminded me of the Wiz-no info there. I guess I need to go to Wikipedia. :)

^^When was "Can't Get Outta the Rain" recorded? I just listened to it on YouTube and it reminded me of the Wiz-no info there. I guess I need to go to Wikipedia. :)

Yeah, it was a reworked version of "You Can't Win" from The Wiz. The lyric "You can't get outta the game" was altered to " You can't get outta the rain". It sounds so similar to the original single production that I've always assumed that only overdubs were added during either the Off The Wall or the Thriller sessions.

I did always love the Thriller single mix just for that extra few seconds of space between Michael's last vocal and where Vincent Price comes in.

I dont own any singles, but I love the single edits on the King of Pop compilation. When I bought that back in 2008, it was great to hear the edits for the first time. Some of them are really cool.

Back