Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: The Will.i.am tracks [Discussion]

Quote Originally Posted by OnirMJ View Post
    It wasn't about the money directly. It was about songwriting credits. The guy from Yellow Magic Orchestra wanted more share of the royalties and MJ and his management wanted 50-50 equal split which I think was fair share.
    The 50-50 equal split that Michael Jackson and his management wanted was not fair share.

Chris Mosdell (the lyricist of the song) explained why it was not fair share:

…I didn’t know who Michael Jackson was - I wasn’t into that whole soul disco stuff … When Michael Jackson recorded it [the ‘Behind The Mask’ song], he also added an extra melody line and a few extra lyrics, so they wanted to split the royalties - which is quite impossible. You can’t take a Beatles song and add a melody line, a few more lyrics, and ask for fifty percent…” (Chris Mosdell)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek1984 View Post
    Not to derail the topic but I doubt Behind The Mask was in serious consideration for the Thriller album. First off, it never would've fit on the album. They had to condense the album as it was and what are you leaving off? Baby Be Mine? Second, you mean to tell me if they REALLY wanted that song on the album, they didn't have the money to make it happen?
    ‘Behind The Mask’ was in serious consideration for the ‘Thriller’ album, and the proof for that is the fact that Michael Jackson and his management legally tried so hard at that time to resolve the song's royalties disputes in order to include it on the ‘Thriller’ album.

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 548 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    The 50-50 equal split that Michael Jackson and his management wanted was not fair share.
    So now you are Chris Mosdell? It's HIS opinion, nothing more.

…I didn’t know who Michael Jackson was - I wasn’t into that whole soul disco stuff … When Michael Jackson recorded it [the ‘Behind The Mask’ song], he also added an extra melody line and a few extra lyrics, so they wanted to split the royalties - which is quite impossible. You can’t take a Beatles song and add a melody line, a few more lyrics, and ask for fifty percent…” (Chris Mosdell)

How arrogant. I love some YMO, but comparing himself with the Beatles like that? And Michael "added a few lyrics"? The original has NO lyrics apart from the vocoder refrain, which basically only serves as background vocal in Michaels version. A 50-50 share would for sure have been fair.

Would be interesting to know, exactly when Mosdell said that. Seems he (or rather YMO as a group and/or their record label) already thought differently a few years later, when they found agreements with Greg Phillinganes and Eric Clapton to release their covers of Michaels version.

To further cite from Chris Cadman's "For The Record":
    "Phillinganes, who also played with his band, brought the song to Eric Clapton's attention. Clapton's cover version, on which Phillinganes played keyboards and sang backing vocals, hit no. 15 in the UK in 1987. This version, curiously, failed to credit Michael as one of the song's co-writers - but Chris Mosdell has confirmed Michael does takes 50% of the song-writing royalties. "
    https://issuu.com/sasha_nikitin/docs/for_the_record

I also doubt that "Behind The Mask" was seriously considered for Thriller, to a degree that it would have made the final cut. It would have been so out of place style-wise.

We don't really know how hard Michael and Quincy fought for it, if so. Cadman only vaguely states "Legal battles meant Michael's version didn't make his Thriller album and remains unreleased". But what "legal battles"? If you change someone's song, and the original author says "no", then that's the end of story. There are no legal grounds to force him to agree to get your uncalled remix/edit/version released.

With "legal battles" Cadman probably simply meant to say that the copyrights could not be cleared with YMO / YMO's record label at that time. It doesn't make sense otherwise, or we're missing a chunk of the story.
    Last edited by Electro; 01-11-2020 at 10:16 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Electro For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Who modernised Behind The Mask. Never knew the story behind the 2010 mix of that one

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,887 Times in 1,800 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robertw View Post
    Who modernised Behind The Mask. Never knew the story behind the 2010 mix of that one
    It was re-produced by Estate co-executor John McClain, who also modernized/remixed "This Is It," "Much Too Soon," and the solo version of "Love Never Felt So Good." There isn't much background on it beyond that.

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

So are we ever going to get the 1982 original version of Behind The Mask?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,123 Times in 2,249 Posts

‘Behind The Mask’ was in serious consideration for the ‘Thriller’ album, and the proof for that is the fact that Michael Jackson and his management legally tried so hard at that time to resolve the song's royalties disputes in order to include it on the ‘Thriller’ album.
    Have you heard their version? MJ didn't add "few extra lyrics". He wrote all the lyrics except for the vocoder chorus that he basically sampled from the original.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,094 Times in 2,114 Posts

Knock it off man, MJ wrote all the lyrics for the song. 50/50 was a more than fair split.

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Themidwestcowboy View Post
    Knock it off man, MJ wrote all the lyrics for the song. 50/50 was a more than fair split.
    Yeah, "all alone I'm sufferin' in my doom" is an MJ lyric if ever I heard one.

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Some useful information about the tracks and the album they worked on! http://moonwalker58.com/2008e.html

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bobi MJ View Post
    Some useful information about the tracks and the album they worked on! http://moonwalker58.com/2008e.html
    Thank you for this! I know these have been circulating for years, but it’s nice to have them all in one place.

So, a timeline of Will’s comments:

- Feb. 2007: Will tells Rolling Stone that he and MJ outlined eight songs together and recorded one, “I’m Dreamin’.”
    - Aug. 2007: Will tells reporters during a South Korean press conference that he and MJ recorded a second track, “The Future,” and are working on a third, “Still the King.”
    - Aug. 2007: Will tells Ryan Seacrest that he and MJ have worked on “three or four” songs, of which two are finished. He reveals that he wrote two tracks, MJ wrote a third, and they collaborated on a fourth.
    - Sep. 2007: Will tells Rolling Stone that they’ve “finished some songs.”
    - Oct. 2007: Will tells reporters during a Pepsi press conference that he’s “done three songs” with MJ.
    - Oct. 2007: Will tells an internet journalist that MJ has recorded vocals at his home studio.

So, basically, up until MJ’s death Will has been insisting that they finished at least two tracks together. Then suddenly his tone changes, and nothing is finished. And then he won’t release anything because MJ isn’t here to approve it. And then he’ll only consider releasing them if Katherine Jackson herself asks him to. And then he tries to get the tracks on his own album. And, as of 2018, he’s back to “I’ll never release them.”

He’s full of it. They have finished music together and he’s just being an idiot.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    Thank you for this! I know these have been circulating for years, but it’s nice to have them all in one place.

- Feb. 2007: Will tells Rolling Stone that he and MJ outlined eight songs together and recorded one, “I’m Dreamin’.”
    - Aug. 2007: Will tells reporters during a South Korean press conference that he and MJ recorded a second track, “The Future,” and are working on a third, “Still the King.”
    - Aug. 2007: Will tells Ryan Seacrest that he and MJ have worked on “three or four” songs, of which two are finished. He reveals that he wrote two tracks, MJ wrote a third, and they collaborated on a fourth.
    - Oct. 2007: Will tells reporters during a Pepsi press conference that he’s “done three songs” with MJ.
    - Oct. 2007: Will tells an internet journalist that MJ has recorded vocals at his home studio.

So, basically, up until MJ’s death Will has been insisting that they finished at least two tracks together. Then suddenly his tone changes, and nothing is finished. And then he won’t release anything because MJ isn’t here to approve it. And then he’ll only consider releasing them if Katherine Jackson herself asks him to. And then he tries to get the tracks on his own album. And, as of 2018, he’s back to “I’ll never release them.”

He’s full of it. They have finished music together and he’s just being an idiot.
    Yeah, well the bottom line is this is about money. Both the E$tate and Will just can't agree, so they agree to disagree and these tracks are just left in a vault. There might be a time in "the future" (no pun intended), Will needs the money and they work something out.

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,052 Posts

In my opinion Will isn't full of it. he just wanna respect Michael's wishes. if Michael told him to released the songs then we wouldn't be here talking about them. if will wanna release the songs he need to ask his mom while she's still on this earth.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NatureCriminal7896 View Post
    In my opinion Will isn't full of it. he just wanna respect Michael's wishes. if Michael told him to released the songs then we wouldn't be here talking about them. if will wanna release the songs he need to ask his mom while she's still on this earth.
    I would be inclined to agree if he didn’t spend three years slamming the Estate for going against Michael’s wishes and then making a full 180 and asking permission to release “I’m Dreamin’” on his own album (and then proceed to continue his “I’ll never release them” spiel thereafter).

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,363 Times in 709 Posts

William is a phony and I don't trust a word that comes out of his mouth anymore. All this talk about 'he would only consider releasing songs he did with MJ if Katherine gave her approval' is complete nonsense. It's all about the money.

Frankly speaking, I am starting to lose my interest in the Will-i-am tracks. I'm desperate for some unreleased music, but because of Will-i-am changing his tone regarding the MJ songs, I don't really care if these songs stay in the vault forever.

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,052 Posts

I would be inclined to agree if he didn’t spend three years slamming the Estate for going against Michael’s wishes and then making a full 180 and asking permission to release “I’m Dreamin’” on his own album (and then proceed to continue his “I’ll never release them” spiel thereafter).
    oh wow.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.