do you think blood on the dancefloor is underrated?

DancingMjsdream

Proud Member
I've read that the song got very mixed reviews.The song doesn't seem to get much love.And the album is getting pretty much ignored? I know it's an remix album and i hate remixes, but the 5 songs on the album are GREAT.
My favourites are superfly sister and morphine.

For me Morphine is one of Michael's best song. I believe the 5 news songs particularly Morphine, Is It Scary and Superfly Sister are masterpieces. The theme of the album is very dark something MJ had never done before prior to the album. The album deserves more love and appreciation. Just ignore the crappy remixes and focus on the 5 brilliant songs.

For me Morphine is one of Michael's best song. I believe the 5 news songs particularly Morphine, Is It Scary and Superfly Sister are masterpieces. The theme of the album is very dark something MJ had never done before prior to the album. The album deserves more love and appreciation. Just ignore the crappy remixes and focus on the 5 brilliant songs.

I'm ignoring them already,they are a disgrace and sound horrible.But i understand that this was/is very popular.
I love all of the five songs but i think especially the three songs you named are one of his most honest songs.I'm always shocked when i hear morphine because it feels way too real.First time hearing the song,i felt very uncomfortable because it kind of reminded me about my situation at that time.But now i love it,especially the bridge.It was like therapy.

Last edited:
BOTDF is probably the album I listen to most. Except the re-mixes. Morphine and Is It Scary are two songs I listen to most. He says so much truth in those songs.

He should have put 4 or 5 other new songs on it and make it a real album. If that had been been the case it might have become MJ's best album. I like to mix HIStory and BOTDF - replacing some weaker or unfitting songs on the former (DS, Come Together) with Is It Scary and Morphine. Perfect!

The Estate should re-release BOTDF on iTunes and Spotify as an EB with only the 5 new songs. - Forget all about the remixes.

Those 5 songs are amazing. - Had BOTDF been an all new album with 12 songs with same quality and theme as the 5 songs on BOTDF it could easily have been his best album ever.... - Now we have 5 brilliant songs on an album most people don't know - and 4 of the songs are totally unknown by most people... Only the song BOTDF is known. - And it's not the best song of the 5 - Is It Scary and Morphine are my favorites. - BUT Superfly Sister is so unexpected... For MJ to sing about that stuff... - Not same theme, but it's like Abortion Papers - super groovie, great beat, danceable - and the subject is so serious.... Amazing.

DancingMjsdream;4178391 said:
I've read that the song got very mixed reviews.The song doesn't seem to get much love.And the album is getting pretty much ignored? I know it's an remix album and i hate remixes, but the 5 songs on the album are GREAT.
My favourites are superfly sister and morphine.

It is really funny to believe that the best-selling remix album of all time (‘Blood On The Dance Floor’) is getting pretty much ignored.

mj_frenzy;4178444 said:
It is really funny to believe that the best-selling remix album of all time (‘Blood On The Dance Floor’) is getting pretty much ignored.

No doubt it it the best selling remix album of all time. - BUT how many remix albums have been released by HUGE stars. - and before 2000. - After that music didn't sell anymore so these albums will never sell like earlier albums.

BUT when BOTDF was released in 1997 - how many other remix albums had been released?? How big an achiement is it really?
MJ could have released an all quiet album - it would sell 57 copies - and it would be the best selling quiet album in the world... - not beacuase it sold a lot - but because there was no competition really...

I am not trying to make MJ sound less good or anything - I just honestly don't know any other remix album - not by a major star. Has Madonna ever released a remix album? Beatles in their prime??

The song is one of my favorites. I sometimes think that the album could have been made into a real album by adding some tracks from HIStory (not remixes) or even some outtakes. Maybe he could have reduced the length of the HIStory album (sometimes I think it's a little too long) and put the songs that wouldn't make it in the new album.

I am not trying to make MJ sound less good or anything - I just honestly don't know any other remix album - not by a major star. Has Madonna ever released a remix album? Beatles in their prime??

Remixes weren't really a thing back in the 60s during The Beatles' prime, the closet thing would be the 2006 soundtrack to their Cirque du Soleil show LOVE, where many of their tracks were remixed in some really incredible and creative ways. Madonna has released 4 remix albums (see here), one of which is right behind BOTDF for second best selling remix album.

More recently, I know that Lady Gaga has put out a few remix albums too (this and this) and Justin Bieber has released one as well.

Remix albums haven't really been a huge thing, they've generally been reserved for the more hardcore fans I reckon (especially because they tend to lack new original material).

Last edited:
mj_frenzy;4178444 said:

Well of course it sold well,i think this was always the case with MJ.But i think that outside of the fan community,there are not many people who are familiar with songs from BOTDF or Invincible.They usually listen to his eighties stuff and ignore the rest.

He should have put 4 or 5 other new songs on it and make it a real album. If that had been been the case it might have become MJ's best album. I like to mix HIStory and BOTDF - replacing some weaker or unfitting songs on the former (DS, Come Together) with Is It Scary and Morphine. Perfect!

It could have easily been a full album. Add Don't be messing round, Innocent Man, In The Back (Full), and two other tracks and we'd have MJ's greatest album ever
MJ's best song for me. Bar none.

Mine too. The song is incredible.

I heard In The Back was considered for BOTDF before it was replaced by Superfly Sister. I wish we had a full album of about 8 new songs instead of only 5 new songs and crappy remixes.

I heard In The Back was considered for BOTDF before it was replaced by Superfly Sister. I wish we had a full album of about 8 new songs instead of only 5 new songs and crappy remixes.

Yeah it was. The version we got on Ultimate Collection was an early version. There is a more complete version of the song

Hess;4178467 said:
No doubt it it the best selling remix album of all time. - BUT how many remix albums have been released by HUGE stars. - and before 2000. - After that music didn't sell anymore so these albums will never sell like earlier albums.

HIStoric;4178476 said:
Remix albums haven't really been a huge thing, they've generally been reserved for the more hardcore fans I reckon (especially because they tend to lack new original material).

DancingMjsdream;4178480 said:
Well of course it sold well,i think this was always the case with MJ.But i think that outside of the fan community,there are not many people who are familiar with songs from BOTDF or Invincible.

In the case of ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’, that album enjoyed tremendous success also in European dance clubs (particularly during the summer of 1997) to the point where it took even Epic executives by surprise.

So, the big success (& appeal in general) of that particular album should not be measured only by the number of its physical copies sales.

Hess;4178467 said:
BUT when BOTDF was released in 1997 - how many other remix albums had been released?? How big an achiement is it really?
MJ could have released an all quiet album - it would sell 57 copies - and it would be the best selling quiet album in the world... - not beacuase it sold a lot - but because there was no competition really...

There is always competition, even when it comes to the King Of Pop. Note, for example, that Madonna’s ‘You Can Dance’ remix album (that had been released a decade before) contains remixes that come from the first trilogy of her studio albums (apart from the included new material; yet MJ’s remix album surpassed it, too.

The first five songs fit perfectly into the concept of the HIStory album, I really consider it a HIStory EP. All songs could be sliced into HIStory at some point and would not effect the flow too much. Deception, paranoia, hurt, anger, confusion, spite. Creativity wise and release wise this was the best period for me, bar none. It was a magical time. The remixes were a fine bonus, that I do listen to from time to time myself.

I've often thought that could've worked out really well. I remember In The Back was originally intended to be on the album but was later replaced by Superfly Sister.

Something like this would've been amazing:

1. Blood On The Dancefloor
2. Morphine
3. Superfly Sister
4. Ghosts
5. Is It Scary
6. On The Line
7. In The Back
8. Slave To The Rhythm (90s version)
9. Why (solo version)
10. Much Too Soon

Wow, I never realised In The Back was almost completed?

Yeah it was. The version we got on Ultimate Collection was an early version. There is a more complete version of the song

Oh I didn't know that there was a more complete version of In The Back. I would love to hear it.

I've often thought that could've worked out really well. I remember In The Back was originally intended to be on the album but was later replaced by Superfly Sister.

Something like this would've been amazing:

1. Blood On The Dancefloor
2. Morphine
3. Superfly Sister
4. Ghosts
5. Is It Scary
6. On The Line
7. In The Back
8. Slave To The Rhythm (90s version)
9. Why (solo version)
10. Much Too Soon

Innocent man instead of slave to the rhythm and add the funky history version of don't be messin around and It's a masterpiece

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But we haven't heard Innocent Man? It might suck. It might be worse than I Am The Loser and Days of Gloucestershire.

From other accounts it's a great beautiful song with great lyrics and the topic of the song has always been relevant. Imo Slave to The rhythm, apart from MJ's amazing vocals, is not a good song. It's generic and forgettable

From other accounts it's a great beautiful song with great lyrics and the topic of the song has always been relevant. Imo Slave to The rhythm, apart from MJ's amazing vocals, is not a good song. It's generic and forgettable

Do you know if the song 'Innocent Man' is finished?

Back