The lack of unreleased music since the loss of Michael and the place we now find ourselves in...

sweetdudejim

Proud Member
Hey there everybody. I'm a long time Michael fan who I will admit has been a bit shaken by the Leaving Neverland documentary. I am not a fanboy who thinks Michael is the Messiah and I will not resort to attacking Mr. Safechuck or Mr. Robson. I am first and foremost a fan of the MUSIC.

And I have a MAJOR, MAJOR problem with the way this joke of an estate has handled Michael's music since we lost him in 2009. Starting with the This Is It collection where we got a version of the song with harmonies from his brothers and extra instrumentation that Michael never asked for. Despite all the pretty much finished great material that is surely still sitting in a vault or a hard drive somewhere, the estate decided that the first unreleased track released would be something that they felt they had to overdub with things that Michael likely never asked for on the track. I highly, highly doubt that if he ever did consider released "This Is It" that he would have had his brothers doing vocals on it. Please remind me friends, which Columbia Records-era MJ solo tracks feature any of his brothers? Yeah that's right. ZERO. But I get it, the song shared a title with the movie and it was just Michael and piano and they likely didn't think they could have released it as is (though I think they were wrong, as I think the stark vocal and piano version might have really touched people so soon after we lost him).

Then we move onto the first *new* posthumous studio album, Michael. And obviously there are the three songs with the impostor vocals. I'm not even gonna get into that here. Instead what I will get into is why didn't the estate either try to piece together a final album using what they knew of Michael's directions? Like use the lists that have leaked online that were apparently found in his house after he died. I assume most of you know the lists I'm speaking of. I tried to post them but for whatever reason I'm having trouble. But the lists contained stuff that we are nearly positive were in a releasable state. Things like:

"The Loser"
"You Were There"
"Gloucestershire"
"Throwing Your Life Away"

which would then also be combined with stuff they actually used like...

"Hold My Hand"
"Hollywood Tonight"
"Best of Joy"

And I'm sure that while some of those songs on those lists may not have been recorded or may have been in the very early stages, surely some of them that we're unsure of probably were close to completion. And therefore, we wouldn't have ended up with things like "Behind the Mask" (Thriller outtake) "Much Too Soon" (HIStory outtake), "Another Day" (Invincible outtake) on Michael's first posthumous album. "Behind the Mask" especially had nothing to do with what Michael was planning in his last few years as far as we know, and obviously would have been much better saved for a set that zeroed in on the Thriller era. Not to mention that the remix that appeared on the Michael album totally changed the song far, far away from what Michael had in mind in the early '80s. But anyways, enough about that album.

I thought the estate did a bit better with Bad 25 and Xscape. Though I thought that only six unreleased songs on Bad 25 was a bit skimpy knowing how much material he recorded for that album. And as far as Xscape I still don't get why they were doing hodgepodges of songs from different eras and basically trying to sell him as an active artist. I think the last time they coulda done that was with what became the Michael album and as above I explain how they blew that. However, even though they did remix the material, I was glad they put out the versions as Michael apparently left them, which in my opinion is truer to his vision.

And then....

Nothing. No new music since then. Bullshit compilations like that nonsense Scream album. And now the documentary comes out. And now that investment Sony made in all that unreleased music doesn't look so good. I bet we probably won't see any kind of archival release of the unreleased material for some time now, if ever. We coulda gotten a Dangerous 25 album or Thriller 35 set or even non-anniversary linked sets. But nope. They ****ed themselves getting into all this other nonsense and now those of us who loved Michael for his music have to pay the price for the horrible, horrible way they ran things. Though to be fair, even Michael after around Invincible didn't seem to keen on giving his fans new music. Though of course he was quite busy from 2001 to 2009 dealing with various issues that we all know of. So perhaps the estate is just doing business as usual.

Yuck.

I heard at the end of last year they were doing away with albums and working on just singles, perhaps this whole leaving Neverland thing has thrown a spanner in the works.

They should be releasing more, especially concert footage.

So you say "Michael" was horrible but "Xscape" was a bit better? I don't agree.
Besides the three fake songs "Michael" was closer to the original demos than Xscape.
Xscape was made for young generation with their bad trap sounds etc...
Timbaland who produced some of the tracks said he didn't even listen to the original demos before he produced the new versions.
Xscape was one of the most disrespectful releases..

On "Michael" they at least had some of MJs original producers finishing the songs.

Besides the three fake songs "Michael" was closer to the original demos than Xscape.
Timbaland who produced some of the tracks said he didn't even listen to the original demos before he produced the new versions.

On "Michael" they at least had some of MJs original producers finishing the songs.

I think Michael woulda been great if they hadn't resorted to using songs that Michael had no intent of using on a new album. And of course, not filling thirty percent of the album with fake vocals. But yeah, stuff like "The Way You Love Me" and "Hold My Hand" may very well have been on 2010 MJ album had he lived. And I'm very happy with those songs. But "Behind the Mask" never would have been on a new album. Especially in that ridiculous remix.

My happiness with Xscape was only in that the deluxe version gave us the songs as Michael had envisioned them. As far as the "normal" version I don't think I'd listened to anything beyond the versions of "Love Never Felt So Good" (the remix and then the version with JT). The rest had no appeal to me as all it appeared to me to be was a remix project of unreleased MJ tunes. Whereas I want the originals. The vision of the man himself.

One last thing though. And that's about "finishing" the songs. Most of the songs weren't in need of "finishing" and it pisses me off that some people think they know better than the man himself how his songs should have went. But of course on the other hand, I am not against some sweetening to take place if those in charge think a tweak here or there would have been how Michael would have wanted it.

Agree 100%
IMO Timbaland completely destroyed the Xscape album with the silly "computer video games" sound on some tracks (the original demos was nice to have though)
I hardly play Michael these days due to lack of something new to listen to.....or watch.
As much as I love albums like Bad,Dangerous,Thriller++ I often need a break from them and for me Michael doesnt have a big catalog to listen to.
MJ ESTATE really does a poor job in keeping the Legacy alive and we dont even have Michaels great music videos in good quality on bluray or dvd :(
I`m also a big fan of Elvis and he has been dead for 42 years still his record company Sony releases 15-20 cd releases for the fans each year with unreleased shows and alternate takes and so on.......many only sold through fan clubs but also standard retail releases.
Still hoping for some unreleased Michael music soon............

Back