Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Dallas Austin: Russia was Hiding Michael Jackson, America Didn't Like That

   
  1. #1
    Points: 2,558, Level: 30
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered
    MJPoetryFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    375
    Points
    2,558
    Level
    30
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 242 Times in 119 Posts

    Default Dallas Austin: Russia was Hiding Michael Jackson, America Didn't Like That

    Last edited by Anna; 01-09-2019 at 06:57 PM. Reason: embedded video
    "If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with" - Michael Jackson

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MJPoetryFan For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Points: 11,258, Level: 70
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 392
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Saint Petersburg, Russia
    Posts
    510
    Points
    11,258
    Level
    70
    Thanks
    466
    Thanked 425 Times in 148 Posts

    Default Re: EXCLUSIVE Dallas Austin: Russia was Hiding Michael Jackson, America Didn't Like That

    "Russia was Hiding Michael Jackson" -- this made me laugh
    Born with Thriller,
    grown on Moonwalker,
    achieved with HIStory,
    living with
    Michael Jackson!



  4. #3
    Points: 9,234, Level: 64
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    wonderouzmj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,195
    Points
    9,234
    Level
    64
    Thanks
    352
    Thanked 746 Times in 359 Posts

    Default Re: EXCLUSIVE Dallas Austin: Russia was Hiding Michael Jackson, America Didn't Like That

    Dallas has the best stories! I love to hear new mj stories!

  5. #4
    Points: 6,064, Level: 50
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    63
    Points
    6,064
    Level
    50
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts

    Default Re: EXCLUSIVE Dallas Austin: Russia was Hiding Michael Jackson, America Didn't Like That

    But this is idiotic... I really don't think MJ got envious and went in to hype up in a room for everyone to hear. That's just stupid. There could be a million reasons for MJ to watch tour footage etc, while in the midst of a creative project.

    And the whole Hitler-thing. It's just so tiresome. Honestly, this is so ignorant and one-dimensional, it's a propaganda piece in itself. I find it embarrassing that Austin doesn't know better or have tried to understand more, especially after being part of producing TDCAU.

    It's a power parade. Yes, used by dictators, Hitler included, for reasons of propaganda, but militairy marches are done in democracies as well. Especially in wartime, for the very same reasons. But also on say national hollidays. Propaganda is not only used by dictatorships and what is propaganda vs what is a show of ideals to identify with, is very much a discussion held in art forums, both within and outside the academia.

    MJ viewed themself as an opposite of such oppression, and rightfully so. A symbole of love, peace, equality and minorities - people bereft of power, agency and influence; stigmatized and missunderstood. Thus, by putting themself in such a position, creating an interesting oxymoron from an artistic point of view and at the same time showing power and unity in their back.

    The US - through the DA, the sheriff's department, the FBI and childcare units - and the media plus parts of the public, had in many ways created and/or committed to a war against MJ and this was MJ's return to the public and their rightful place as the world's greatest entertainer. The purpose was to prepare the public that this would be done victoriously. They did not sneak back appologetic, they came back with an effing parade in their back, which was correct since in reality we had MJ's back. Now furiously raging and reflecting the powerstruggles in our societies; all through the love, honesty and purity that is Michael Jackson. (I'm ofcourse talking about the HIStory record, including TDCAU.)

    Last but not least, isn't it supposed to be armies from different countries, thus lifting it out of a nationalistic context and making it quite anti-nationalistic? Perhaps it isn't in reality, guessing that would be hard to carry out, but I'm quite sure they were supposed to symbolize being from different countries in the trailer.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Skywalker For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Points: 3,888, Level: 39
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ctracy34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    69
    Points
    3,888
    Level
    39
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 92 Times in 36 Posts

    Default Re: EXCLUSIVE Dallas Austin: Russia was Hiding Michael Jackson, America Didn't Like That

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Skywalker View Post
    But this is idiotic... I really don't think MJ got envious and went in to hype up in a room for everyone to hear. That's just stupid. There could be a million reasons for MJ to watch tour footage etc, while in the midst of a creative project.

    And the whole Hitler-thing. It's just so tiresome. Honestly, this is so ignorant and one-dimensional, it's a propaganda piece in itself. I find it embarrassing that Austin doesn't know better or have tried to understand more, especially after being part of producing TDCAU.

    It's a power parade. Yes, used by dictators, Hitler included, for reasons of propaganda, but militairy marches are done in democracies as well. Especially in wartime, for the very same reasons. But also on say national hollidays. Propaganda is not only used by dictatorships and what is propaganda vs what is a show of ideals to identify with, is very much a discussion held in art forums, both within and outside the academia.

    MJ viewed themself as an opposite of such oppression, and rightfully so. A symbole of love, peace, equality and minorities - people bereft of power, agency and influence; stigmatized and missunderstood. Thus, by putting themself in such a position, creating an interesting oxymoron from an artistic point of view and at the same time showing power and unity in their back.

    The US - through the DA, the sheriff's department, the FBI and childcare units - and the media plus parts of the public, had in many ways created and/or committed to a war against MJ and this was MJ's return to the public and their rightful place as the world's greatest entertainer. The purpose was to prepare the public that this would be done victoriously. They did not sneak back appologetic, they came back with an effing parade in their back, which was correct since in reality we had MJ's back. Now furiously raging and reflecting the powerstruggles in our societies; all through the love, honesty and purity that is Michael Jackson. (I'm ofcourse talking about the HIStory record, including TDCAU.)

    Last but not least, isn't it supposed to be armies from different countries, thus lifting it out of a nationalistic context and making it quite anti-nationalistic? Perhaps it isn't in reality, guessing that would be hard to carry out, but I'm quite sure they were supposed to symbolize being from different countries in the trailer.
    Dallas was recalling the story from his point of view at the time. Not everybody shared the same educational background on world history, especially in the 80's and 90's. There just wasn't that much exposure to those kinds of things, especially where Dallas was from. Dallas is obviously well-aware of MJ's intent now, which was to express his inspiration for what he wanted Dallas to create musically through the museum and the "hype reels". Depending on where the interview was guided after this piece, Austin can surely elaborate more on his experience with MJ during a pivotal time in his career.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ctracy34 For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Points: 7,713, Level: 58
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    843
    Points
    7,713
    Level
    58
    Thanks
    436
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 451 Posts

    Default Re: EXCLUSIVE Dallas Austin: Russia was Hiding Michael Jackson, America Didn't Like That

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Skywalker View Post
    But this is idiotic... I really don't think MJ got envious and went in to hype up in a room for everyone to hear. That's just stupid. There could be a million reasons for MJ to watch tour footage etc, while in the midst of a creative project.

    And the whole Hitler-thing. It's just so tiresome. Honestly, this is so ignorant and one-dimensional, it's a propaganda piece in itself. I find it embarrassing that Austin doesn't know better or have tried to understand more, especially after being part of producing TDCAU.

    It's a power parade. Yes, used by dictators, Hitler included, for reasons of propaganda, but militairy marches are done in democracies as well. Especially in wartime, for the very same reasons. But also on say national hollidays. Propaganda is not only used by dictatorships and what is propaganda vs what is a show of ideals to identify with, is very much a discussion held in art forums, both within and outside the academia.

    MJ viewed themself as an opposite of such oppression, and rightfully so. A symbole of love, peace, equality and minorities - people bereft of power, agency and influence; stigmatized and missunderstood. Thus, by putting themself in such a position, creating an interesting oxymoron from an artistic point of view and at the same time showing power and unity in their back.

    The US - through the DA, the sheriff's department, the FBI and childcare units - and the media plus parts of the public, had in many ways created and/or committed to a war against MJ and this was MJ's return to the public and their rightful place as the world's greatest entertainer. The purpose was to prepare the public that this would be done victoriously. They did not sneak back appologetic, they came back with an effing parade in their back, which was correct since in reality we had MJ's back. Now furiously raging and reflecting the powerstruggles in our societies; all through the love, honesty and purity that is Michael Jackson. (I'm ofcourse talking about the HIStory record, including TDCAU.)

    Last but not least, isn't it supposed to be armies from different countries, thus lifting it out of a nationalistic context and making it quite anti-nationalistic? Perhaps it isn't in reality, guessing that would be hard to carry out, but I'm quite sure they were supposed to symbolize being from different countries in the trailer.

    I agree with your observations and rationalizations.

  10. #7
    Points: 6,064, Level: 50
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    63
    Points
    6,064
    Level
    50
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts

    Default Re: EXCLUSIVE Dallas Austin: Russia was Hiding Michael Jackson, America Didn't Like That

    Quote Originally Posted by Ctracy34 View Post
    Dallas was recalling the story from his point of view at the time. Not everybody shared the same educational background on world history, especially in the 80's and 90's. There just wasn't that much exposure to those kinds of things, especially where Dallas was from. Dallas is obviously well-aware of MJ's intent now, which was to express his inspiration for what he wanted Dallas to create musically through the museum and the "hype reels". Depending on where the interview was guided after this piece, Austin can surely elaborate more on his experience with MJ during a pivotal time in his career.
    Well, first off: Let's hope so. I truely do.

    However, I still don't get - if one has worked for someone that one starts to think is antisemitic and actually nazi - wouldn't one want to find out more before telling the world through the press? ESPECIALLY when it comes to Michael Jackson??

    Austin is actually saying MJ's trailer WAS nazi and put the words of the song they did together in that context, finnishing off with saying that MJ's comments are stereotypical. (Which they absolutly are put in that context, while in reality probably just a bit of a clumbsy listing of truth from a baffled MJ, that should be read in the context that MJ is laying out in the same sentence: MJ's putting themself on the same footing with people being victimized, especially through different race systems.)

    I mean, no one is forcing Austin to say all this. To the press. While MJ was being kicked again. If Austin didn't know and didn't bother to get a bigger understanding (for instance from ASKING MJ), why just not talk to the press about it? It would be easy to just say that sentence: "I just think it's about what most think when they hear it: racial injustice. I don't know of anything else."

    It also seems that Austin should be atleast a little prepared, that the world would be looking for a way to undermine the message of such a song. Even more so if sung and performed by MJ. A backlash of some sort.

    I'm sorry for going off. Maybe people feel I'm getting unnecessarily upset here...maybe I am. But I just always thought this crap came from the tabloids, picked up by some quite extreme Israel-American/American Jewish organisations for publicism, at the time. I didn't even imagine it was MJ's friends and collegues spreading this. That saddens me.
    Always stabbed in the back.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Skywalker For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Points: 10,436, Level: 67
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Germany
    Posts
    1,282
    Points
    10,436
    Level
    67
    Thanks
    1,226
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 546 Posts

    Default Re: EXCLUSIVE Dallas Austin: Russia was Hiding Michael Jackson, America Didn't Like That

    His stories are all pretty badly mixed up.

    Dallas produced TDCAU?
    I haven't read the credits in ages, but didn't he just make one of the remixes and produce This Time Around (+remixes)?
    Last edited by Electro; 02-09-2019 at 04:05 PM.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Electro For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    Points: 31,804, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,863
    Points
    31,804
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    363
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 571 Posts

    Default Re: EXCLUSIVE Dallas Austin: Russia was Hiding Michael Jackson, America Didn't Like That

    Quote Originally Posted by Electro View Post
    His stories are all pretty badly mixed up.

    Dallas produced TDCAU?
    I haven't read the credits in ages, but didn't he just make one of the remixes and produce This Time Around (+remixes)?
    Yup. And at least he mixed TDCAU... Dallas Austin Main Mix

  15. #10
    Points: 10,436, Level: 67
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Germany
    Posts
    1,282
    Points
    10,436
    Level
    67
    Thanks
    1,226
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 546 Posts

    Default Re: EXCLUSIVE Dallas Austin: Russia was Hiding Michael Jackson, America Didn't Like That

    Quote Originally Posted by mjchris View Post
    Yup. And at least he mixed TDCAU... Dallas Austin Main Mix
    Yes, that's his pointless remix.

    (The terms mix and remix are used pretty messy / loose since the 90s. The "Mix" (aka mixdown aka finetuning of the different layers and instruments etc in a song) of TDCAU original was done by Bruce Swedien, as always. So no involvement of Dallas on the original.)






    Btw, a little hidden gem for promo collectors back then:
    This alternative version with an additional guitar track that was also released as "Dallas Austin Main Mix" only on one UK promo-only 12-inch vinyl:



    They should have used this version for the commercial remix releases. So much better.
    Last edited by Electro; 02-09-2019 at 07:29 PM.

  16. #11
    Points: 9,234, Level: 64
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    wonderouzmj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,195
    Points
    9,234
    Level
    64
    Thanks
    352
    Thanked 746 Times in 359 Posts

    Default Re: EXCLUSIVE Dallas Austin: Russia was Hiding Michael Jackson, America Didn't Like That

    Quote Originally Posted by Electro View Post
    Yes, that's his pointless remix.

    ("Mixing" (finetuning of the different layers and instruments etc in a song) on the TDCAU original was done by Bruce Swedien, as always.)
    I was sure thinking to myself like....i dont remember this dude on the track...bruce of course but idk....never know

  17. #12
    Points: 9,234, Level: 64
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    wonderouzmj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,195
    Points
    9,234
    Level
    64
    Thanks
    352
    Thanked 746 Times in 359 Posts

    Default Re: Dallas Austin: Russia was Hiding Michael Jackson, America Didn't Like That


  18. #13
    Points: 32,043, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Posts
    6,284
    Points
    32,043
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    6,084
    Thanked 5,123 Times in 2,249 Posts

    Default Re: Dallas Austin: Russia was Hiding Michael Jackson, America Didn't Like That

    Dallas Austin is full of shit. And the interviewer is soooo disrespectful to MJ in that 2nd video.

  19. #14
    Points: 9,234, Level: 64
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    wonderouzmj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,195
    Points
    9,234
    Level
    64
    Thanks
    352
    Thanked 746 Times in 359 Posts

    Default Re: Dallas Austin: Russia was Hiding Michael Jackson, America Didn't Like That

    Quote Originally Posted by OnirMJ View Post
    Dallas Austin is full of shit. And the interviewer is soooo disrespectful to MJ in that 2nd video.
    I said the exact same thing. He's nothing but a culture vulture!

  20. #15
    Points: 9,234, Level: 64
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    wonderouzmj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,195
    Points
    9,234
    Level
    64
    Thanks
    352
    Thanked 746 Times in 359 Posts

    Default Re: Dallas Austin: Russia was Hiding Michael Jackson, America Didn't Like That

    Dallas Austin spoke truth on this especially about new gen kids
    https://youtu.be/KRC-fuG9MSk

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •