Lets talk MJ Multitracks and how do they get out?

mnwlkr

Proud Member
Hi all, I will start by saying that over the past few years, I have loved downloading and listening to all the different stems on the multitracks. It has made me so happy and has brought me a lot of enjoyment. Considering the lack of material being released by The Estate, multitracks is all I have to look forward to.

My question I'm hoping to get clarified is how do these multitracks actually get out into the public? I get it that people that worked in the studio would naturally have access to these things but how do they leak from there?

I am not someone who has any contacts that have this kind of stuff so I've always been curious as to how it all works.

Thanks in advance to anyone with information.

A lot of the multitracks of older songs stored on tapes had to be digged out and digitalized when the "Immortal" Soundtrack was made in 2011. (As they rearranged and re-mixed things a lot for those versions). There had been multitrack leaks before, but ever since that release things seemed to get extra leaky...

Last edited:
They send them to producers who have friends, who have friends, who have friends..

These multi-tracks leaks do not necessarily come from people that worked in the studio with Michael Jackson and they naturally had access to these things.

They can happen also as a result of the servers’ hack where these multi-tracks are stored in.

Certain servers are targeted by hackers because these servers are considered to be gold mine due to their valuable, stored material.

This type of hacking happens especially when it comes to very successful artists, like Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, Christina Aguilera, or Britney Spears.

Remember what happened in 2012, when hackers broke into Sony Music’s servers and downloaded more than 50,000 music files that contained Michael Jackson’s released back catalog but also unreleased audio material (including multi-tracks, as well) with a view to illegally sell them and thus profit from them.

Plus things can happen in the trading community (controversial or not) and bam, they’re leaked. It has happened with concerts and songs before, so it probably happens with multitracks too

A lot of people, who works in music industry, use to trade some MJ multitracks for other artist multitracks (eg. Stevie Wonder, Prince)...then someone leaked them.

mj_frenzy;4301208 said:
Remember what happened in 2012, when hackers broke into Sony Music’s servers and downloaded more than 50,000 music files that contained Michael Jackson’s released back catalog but also unreleased audio material (including multi-tracks, as well) with a view to illegally sell them and thus profit from them.

To clarify this, they didn't hack anything. They weren't even hackers. They just figured out that Sony made a mistake and they could access the website with the files without hacking anything. Anyone could at the time but they were the only ones who noticed it. Thats why they never got to be in jail or something..

To clarify this, they didn't hack anything. They weren't even hackers. They just figured out that Sony made a mistake and they could access the website with the files without hacking anything. Anyone could at the time but they were the only ones who noticed it. Thats why they never got to be in jail or something..

Hold on, what? Sony stored sensitive data on a publicly accessible web server? :eek:

Do we have a thread where I can read more about this?

Hold on, what? Sony stored sensitive data on a publicly accessible web server? :eek:

Do we have a thread where I can read more about this?

No thread. But i know one of the two guys.. Sony didn't do it on purpose.. it was simply a mistake by them.

kai;4301841 said:
No thread. But i know one of the two guys.. Sony didn't do it on purpose.. it was simply a mistake by them.

Ouch. :scream:

I can’t even imagine how they felt when they found out about their mistake the hard way.

kai;4301835 said:

These two men (who were in their mid-twenties at that time) were hackers and they hacked into Sony Music’s servers.

They illegally downloaded thousands of Michael Jackson’s audio material (released songs, unreleased songs, and other music files).

They did that also with other successful artists at that time.

Gregor McGill (head of organised crime at the Crown Prosecution Service) spoke about that:

“… In simple terms, these [two] men broke into a computer system and took music files that were not theirs to take …” (Gregor McGill)

The reason that they escaped jail was due to the fact that they eventually pleaded guilty to hacking into these Sony Music’s servers, and therefore they received only a suspension (they were only given a six-month sentence suspended for a year, and additionally they were each ordered to complete 100 hours of community service).

mj_frenzy;4301208 said:
...when hackers broke into Sony Music’s servers...

kai;4301835 said:

kai;4301841 said:
... i know one of the two guys..

mj_frenzy;4301849 said:
These two men ... were hackers and they hacked into Sony Music’s servers.

@kai
How dare you claim to know something better, that mj_frency himself has read about somewhere. :D

Last edited:
Yeah, as I recall Sony were stupid and left the servers in a way that allowed anyone to access them if they wanted/knew how. Not that accessing them was the right thing to do, hardly hacking, though.

I used to be in a Facebook group with one of these men. I haven't spoken with him personally, but he did discuss the incident.

There was no hacking involved, because the server Sony used to share material with artists and producers wasn't secured whatsoever. Any one of us could have accessed it if we knew exactly what to type into Google, and the two "hackers" weren't the only people who exploited this security flaw. From what I recall, they were mainly looking for Cascio-related material and landed on Sony's radar because of it. They received lenient sentences because there was no actual hacking involved, though they did plead guilty to "unauthorized access of a private server" (or something along those lines).

Back