Can a PS3 play HD-DVD ??? or only Blu-ray?

Hess

Proud Member
Don't know if this is the right place, but I've just bought a PS3 160 GB, and now I wonder if it can play HD-DVD too.

I'm not very much into technic, but HD-DVD's are very very cheap, like 1/3 the price of a blu ray.

Anyone knows?

I'm almost positive that it can not. Sony really banked on the whole Blu-Ray thing and there isn't anything out there to my knowledge that can play both HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray's. The Xbox 360 is capable but not the PS3.

I read somewhere that there was supposed to be some hardware that you can add onto the sytem to play HD movies, but I haven't heard a thing about it. But I don't keep up with the PS3 since I don't personally own one.

It may have "amazing quality" or whatever but I will never understand paying all that money for a movie. That's pretty much what turned me away from the system. Just seems more like a home theater device than a gaming system.

Ok.

I play some FIFA 09 - and it's amazing on PS3, the quality is fantastic. I have a 40" sony lcd full HD.

Movies are also perfect if you see them on BR. It's just like back when DVD's came, they were very expensive too. But they are cheap now, in a year or so, the BR will be a lot cheaper than they are now!

And the experience is much better with BR than DVD! both sound and picture!

My lil' brother has a PS3 and he plays DVDs on it. I dunno what HD stands for but thats all I know..:)

No you can't and there isn't an add on for it either, thats for the Xbox 360. Frankly, after you spent that much on a PS3 you shouldn't have to buy add ons. The reason HD DVDs are so cheap is that the format is dead and is not produced anymore, the same way VHS beat out Betamax.

Back