Understand Michael Jackson's social, cultural and political impact in the world

lisedea

Proud Member
Hello everyone,

You all need to check this interview. Listen to the full version of the interview!
This is the best interview I have seen so far where the social, cultural and political dimensions of Michael Joseph Jackson have been completely grasped and understood. This is a very insightful interview.
Let's thank Tavis Smiley for inviting these two great gentlemen. I wish they could write about Michael Jackson's legacy and social impact for the future generations.

http://www.pbs.org/kcet/tavissmiley/archive/200906/20090630.html#

I LOVE Cornel West. He spoke at my college a couple of years ago and he is just such an insightful, bright man and now I respect him even more.

I love that they put him in a historical and sociopolitical context and really tried to talk about Michael's humanity and musical genius.
This was a great interview, thanks for sharing.

Highlights:

DYSON:
"It's a sign of the hopefulness of black people and the democratic possibilities of America that we're even outraged or surprised that the same white supremacist impulse and media that is incapable of acknowledging the fundamental humanity of black people, would at this moment acknowledge the central contribution of a person of African descent to the global expression of American culture."

"Michael Jackson fundamentally altered the terms of the debate about African-American music."

"The reality is Michael Jackson's humanity is so deep -- the implications and inferences of his art so monumentally and magnificently global -- that nothing American television can do to besmirch his character could ever, if you will, deny the legitimate genius that he represents ..."

"...even has his face got whiter and whiter, his music got blacker and blacker, and his soul got more deeply rooted in the existential agony and the profound social grief..."

DR. WEST:
"There is a political dimension to what he did, but it was an indirect effect; first and foremost he was Katherine and Joseph's child, trying to make sense of the world given this immense talent, tremendous discipline and determination to express himself..."

"Those who choose to find joy in serving others, those who choose to find their voice - to pursue their vocation and to act on their vision often times have to sacrifice much, my brother, almost like a crucifixion in terms of the cross you have to bear; and we reaped the fruits of the resurrection in terms of the power that emanates from his sacrifice. He sacrificed his childhood because he loved us so, and he didn't just entertain us - he sustained us. I can't conceive of myself without "Who's Loving You" by the young Michael...."

"Long live the genius, the legacy, of Michael Joseph Jackson - there is no one like him and there will NEVER be anyone like him! We shall keep track of his art and his music, even as we pray for his humanity, and most importantly the living - those who love him and his blessed family"

Also OMG, LOVED James Ingram's impression of MJ singing PYT in the studio and dancing, haha.
And the end - "IT WAS THE MAN IN THE MIRROR WIT THE CANDLES IN THE DARK! NEVA FORGET THAT BROTHA."

Love it.

You are welcome!
I was so moved by these two gentlemen. Michael would have been proud and humbled that his legacy could been understood that way!
I just wish these two gentlemen get more air time on tv, radio.... People need to hear this not the garbage and faux-amis the media is so prompt to serve us!

Just what I've been looking for. people NEED to see this.

That was excellent! I remember Cornel West as one of the council members in the Matrix trilogy!!

Beautiful... beautiful words!

Indeed, his genius can never be denied. His music speaks for itself. There is no one like MJ!

You see, there is where we can start to build Michael's legacy - by showcasing his impact on our particular countries. We have a diverse group of fans here at MJJC and it would be great to hear how they perceive Michael's impact. Will make my contribution in a few minutes (having a Coke and some popcorn - LOL).

this was really good! i am so happy that people finally are starting to see the other sides of michael, not only his music. this is something everyone should see.

I been waiting to hear people speak about MJ in this way for yrs and I can't believe I missed my chance to record this!

Thanks for the link!

Another absolutely excellent interview from Tavis & his guests, thanks for this!

Back