13th Anniversary MJ Tribute Thread

staywild23

Premium Member
Country
United-States
As everyone knows, today marks the 13th anniversary of Michael’s death. I thought it would be nice to create a thread devoted to anyone who wants to offer a personal tribute to Michael today. Writing, art, music, anything.

I posted mine already in the June 25, 2022 thread, but wanted to share it again here to break the ice.

I really hope people feel comfortable sharing some words of what Michael has meant to you! But if that’s not your thing, maybe just post your favorite song from Michael, or an image you love. Anything really! So long as it comes from the heart ❤️

————

My tribute:

Well, this is my first June 25th as a fan and I’m very emotional. I’ve spent all week (all month really) wondering how I’d feel when today arrived, but knowing it would be hard. It feels crazy to miss someone I wasn’t even a fan of this time last year. But now I’m such a massive fan and I have such a deep love for Michael that it feels equally crazy to imagine how I went so many years without him in my life.

Being a fan of Michael has brought so much joy and goodness into my life, following a long period (decade) of sadness and struggle. I feel like he, both through his music and through his personhood, has helped heal me from things I’ve suffered with for years, and has given me a sense of hope. He has helped me reconnect with my own innocence, my creativity, my spirituality. He has made me feel more pure inside than I have felt in a long time (which will understandably shock a few people on here 😂). He has helped me to feel proud of things I’ve always felt were my downfall, such as being an intense empath and a highly sensitive person, being a person who feels everything too deeply and is somehow always the most excited person in a room, and often feels misunderstood for it. He has helped me find joy in life where I never really found it before - in the pure escapist bliss of consuming someone else’s art and having that, alone, be enough to make a day worthwhile. For the first time in my entire life I am starting to feel some semblance of inner peace and I know Michael has something to do with it.

Maybe all of this will sound overblown to some people, especially if you’ve been a fan a long time and don’t really get this feeling anymore from him. Or maybe if you’re just a different kind of person than me. But I’ve never had this kind of connection with an artist or really any person I haven’t known in real life. But Michael makes me feel safe, loved, happy, and hopeful. I’ve never felt as close to understanding magic as I have this year, when I think about Michael, listen to him, watch him perform, read his words, and remind myself of what he is all about. He is magical. Present tense. His magic is something so profound, so rare, and so eternal that he will never be forgotten. Ever. I truly believe that.

Not everyone understands why Michael’s fans are so committed to him and so crazy about him. I really can’t understand it either, because it’s so foreign to me. All I can think is that he is a magnet for the most loving, warm-hearted people. The “major love” he sent out is still ringing through the atmosphere, beckoning new people and generations to feel it. That kind of energy doesn’t just disappear. It permeates. It will continue to permeate.

I spent all week thinking about how I could honor Michael. I recently reconnected with drawing and visual art (another plus from loving Michael, whose own talent for art made me remember that I used to love it too!) and I’ve drawn tons of portraits of Michael. Way more than I ever posted on the drawings thread. But I decided I wanted to do something a little different to honor his passing.

I decided to draw an elephant, because Michael loved elephants, surrounded by sunflowers (Michael’s, and my own, favorite flower). I drew seven because I believe it was his favorite number.

I spent my entire evening, about seven hours, doing nothing but drawing this and listening to Michael. I feel like I channeled all of this love I have for him into this and so I wanted to share it with people who might appreciate it.

Remembering a poem from my undergrad days and realising how much it makes me think of Michael.

Success by Bessie Stanley - 1905

He has achieved success
who has lived well,
laughed often, and loved much;

who has enjoyed the trust of
pure women,

the respect of intelligent men and
the love of little children;

who has filled his niche and accomplished his task;

who has left the world better than he found it
whether by an improved poppy,
a perfect poem or a rescued soul;

who has never lacked appreciation of Earth's beauty
or failed to express it;

who has always looked for the best in others and
given them the best he had;

whose life was an inspiration;
whose memory a benediction.

"Bessie Anderson Stanley (1879 - 1952), a resident of Kansas, wrote this for a magazine contest that asked, "What constitutes success?” Her entry won first place. Bessie's words are often erroneously attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson and Robert Louis Stevenson, and often paraphrased, but this is the original version."

Looking back on those college discussions, I seem to remember most of the emphasis being on the suppression of women's voices. Which is fair enough. Now I can appreciate it for itself. She wrote this in 1905 which is evident in her use of language or some of the ideas. But I think it's rather lovely and describes Michael very well.

P.S. Already posted this in another thread but it makes more sense for it to be over here.

P.P.S. The memory of Michael is indeed a benediction. A prayer. A blessing.

Last edited:
ddddd.jpg

Celebrating Michael's smile.

Thanks for starting this thread. I have been thinking all day what to write. No words seem to be enough. I have known Michael only for 5 months but they have been transformative for my life in many unexpected ways. His music has given me so much joy that I thought was not possible. I wish he was alive, that would have made all wrongs in the world right. But now all we can do is celebrate his legacy.

There is no artistry in my veins so I post this piece of lyric.

“When someone in the dark reaches out to you
And touches off a spark that comes shining through
It tells you never be afraid
When somewhere in your heart you can feel the glow
A light to keep you warm when the night winds blow
Like it was written in the stars, I knew
My friend, my someone in the dark, was you
"Thank you"”

This song was for ET who felt lonely and misunderstood here on earth but the lyrics years later could have easily been written for MJ.

I can't believe it has been 13 years. It feels like just 5 minutes ago, when my dad told me that Michael Jackson has passed away. It is a really sad day, but also a day of celebration of Michael's life and his artistry.

🕊13 Years Ago Today....I lost my idol & somehow after dancing all my life...his spirit came within me & I feel as though I have lived many lives, experienced the heights & depths of each & like the waves of the ocean, never known rest. Throughout the years, I looked always for the unusual, for the wonderful, for the mysteries at the heart of the dance. I had. embodied him & didn't even know it. I will do my best to continue this journey & with that being said...here Is a full performance of
ANOTHER PART OF ME🕴🏾.
🙏🏾1958-2009🙏🏾
#MichaelJackson

There is no artistry in my veins so I post this piece of lyric.

“When someone in the dark reaches out to you
And touches off a spark that comes shining through
It tells you never be afraid
When somewhere in your heart you can feel the glow
A light to keep you warm when the night winds blow
Like it was written in the stars, I knew
My friend, my someone in the dark, was you
"Thank you"”

This song was for ET who felt lonely and misunderstood here on earth but the lyrics years later could have easily been written for MJ.

OMG this is perfect! 😢 😍

To me it felt like a day that stood still...even after 13 years it still feels like yesterday. I got through the day by listening not only to his songs, but his voice in general as a whole. That was a therapy for me today, and through those tears I smiled knowing he's still with us all in our hearts as we continue to have his legacy live on. Words cannot describe how much I love Michael and miss him so. ❤️🕊️

I've still been working on a little drawing for this occasion, of course it took some thought and reflection hopefully I'll post it soon. 😊

Thank you very much

I love that song so much & I greatly appreciate that!
I absolutely love the song too. I don't know what is the story behind it from Michael's side, but it is close to the concept of 'gaia' - whole earth, the universe, everything is connected. This concept has been explored both in scifi and some religions. I live the concept!

I have not had a chance to checkout your channel. Do you have more videos?

Forgot to say, really like this. My fave thing about it is the composition. You must have taken ages to work that out. It's fabulous. Love it.
Oh, thank you so much!! Actually, the composition didn't take long. I did two different rough sketches of how I'd like it to look and then I just went for it lol. I am glad you like it :)

Also, what materials did you use? Coloured pencils?

This is actually all pastel! I did a rough outline in graphite, but then everything else was done with pastels!

🕊13 Years Ago Today....I lost my idol & somehow after dancing all my life...his spirit came within me & I feel as though I have lived many lives, experienced the heights & depths of each & like the waves of the ocean, never known rest. Throughout the years, I looked always for the unusual, for the wonderful, for the mysteries at the heart of the dance. I had. embodied him & didn't even know it. I will do my best to continue this journey & with that being said...here Is a full performance of
ANOTHER PART OF ME🕴🏾.
🙏🏾1958-2009🙏🏾
#MichaelJackson
I finally watched this and wow!!! This was so amazing. This is one of my favorite MJ songs and performances because it just radiates joy. So seeing you embody that was so beautiful! I was amazed at how you got down even the finger movements. Really inspiring stuff. Thank you for sharing it! ❤️

I absolutely love the song too. I don't know what is the story behind it from Michael's side, but it is close to the concept of 'gaia' - whole earth, the universe, everything is connected. This concept has been explored both in scifi and some religions. I live the concept!

I have not had a chance to checkout your channel. Do you have more videos?
Yea I have tons. More on tiktok & facebook though but here is Smooth Criminal if you'd think you'll enjoy more of my content. I hope you like it
I finally watched this and wow!!! This was so amazing. This is one of my favorite MJ songs and performances because it just radiates joy. So seeing you embody that was so beautiful! I was amazed at how you got down even the finger movements. Really inspiring stuff. Thank you for sharing it! ❤️
Aww thank you. It's something about that song that goes through my body. I can feel it almost. Especially the brass section. But performing it is another level. I'm working on something special for August 29th as well

Back