1997 - 20 years later

That's sad :// specially because I DIE to see RTT in a concert! And I think innuendo141 said it was in this show!! :cry::cry:
No, RTT was never performed at any concert. All we have are the Soul Train Awards and Rehearsal performances Im afraid.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Interesting response from RTE (Irish National Broadcaster) when I asked aboyt footage of the Dublin concert

URTaqC.jpg

Interesting response from RTE (Irish National Broadcaster) when I asked aboyt footage of the Dublin concert

URTaqC.jpg
That's very interesting. Is she saying RTE have the full performance or just the news report? If it was just news report footage they wouldn't need permission I would assume so it's quite possibly the full concert. I'm wondering is that how we have so many pro shot HIStory concerts? Collectors paying big money to sources working in TV companies.

That's very interesting. Is she saying RTE have the full performance or just the news report? If it was just news report footage they wouldn't need permission I would assume so it's quite possibly the full concert. I'm wondering is that how we have so many pro shot HIStory concerts? Collectors paying big money to sources working in TV companies.

No, it's because many concerts were broadcasted on TV back then or had some lowkey release (Seoul '96 being released for a limited time in South Korea only, same with both Brunei concerts in Brunei + a promo tape given to a certain fanclub), which wasn't the case for the previous tours except Bucharest '92 of course.
Other later leaked concerts (i.e. Kuala Lumpur, Auckland [I don't mean the broadcasted ones]) stem from other sources that's true but not from TV stations.

No, it's because many concerts were broadcasted on TV back then or had some lowkey release (Seoul '96 being released for a limited time in South Korea only, same with both Brunei concerts in Brunei + a promo tape given to a certain fanclub), which wasn't the case for the previous tours except Bucharest '92 of course.
Other later leaked concerts (i.e. Kuala Lumpur, Auckland [I don't mean the broadcasted ones]) stem from other sources that's true but not from TV stations.
Interesting. There must be close to 2O jumbotron HIStory concerts at this point. Do you reckon they all came from the same source within the MJ camp? Do you think it's possible in this case that RTE the Irish broadcaster has the full concert in their possesion?

Interesting. There must be close to 2O jumbotron HIStory concerts at this point. Do you reckon they all came from the same source within the MJ camp? Do you think it's possible in this case that RTE the Irish broadcaster has the full concert in their possesion?

The jumbotron footage was used for the TV broadcasts, so the TV stations were given the jumbotron feed. I have no idea if every city/country were given a full copy of their concert so I can't answer the question if RTE got the full show or just segements of the opening medley (Scream/TDCAU/ITC) as this was always given to the news outlets.
The only proper edited HIStory shows are Brunei 1996 and Munich 1997 as they were intended - hence the multiple angles - for a release which never happened.
The other leaked concerts stem from inside the MJ camp or from companies associated with MJ, but those are just a very few, Kuala Lumpur and Auckland like mentioned above, and Basel 1997 for example.
But there's also another way how we got a HIStory concert: The Tunisian HIStory show broadcast was just about a few years ago, not in 1996. It was sourced from Tarak Ben Ammar (Michael's manager back then who is from Tunisia) personal copy/a copy he had in his possession and givin to a Tunisian TV station which broadcasted it.

The jumbotron footage was used for the TV broadcasts, so the TV stations were given the jumbotron feed. I have no idea if every city/country were given a full copy of their concert so I can't answer the question if RTE got the full show or just segements of the opening medley (Scream/TDCAU/ITC) as this was always given to the news outlets.
The only proper edited HIStory shows are Brunei 1996 and Munich 1997 as they were intended - hence the multiple angles - for a release which never happened.
The other leaked concerts stem from inside the MJ camp or from companies associated with MJ, but those are just a very few, Kuala Lumpur and Auckland like mentioned above, and Basel 1997 for example.
But there's also another way how we got a HIStory concert: The Tunisian HIStory show broadcast was just about a few years ago, not in 1996. It was sourced from Tarak Ben Ammar (Michael's manager back then who is from Tunisia) personal copy/a copy he had in his possession and givin to a Tunisian TV station which broadcasted it.
You know your stuff man. Thanks for the info. When you talk about the Brunei, you're referring to the Royal Birthday concert? It's interesting. The Tunisian concert was the latest to leak? I think I watched it last year? There's so many at the point I've lost count. Ah yes, Tunisia concert his hair is a little different if I recall correctly.

Do do you -or anyone- know if there's any HIStory Tour concert that's unreleased that has anything rear? I think Hawaii is sought after. Not sure if there's anything special about it in a rear sense other than it being in Hawaii.

Thanks for all the info. Its a shame to know there's something lying there never to be seen.

Thanks, everyone for sharing your memories. You're all so incredibly lucky.
I was born in '93, so I would have been 3 - 4 years old for the HIStory UK show. I was too young, it's so unfair.
Anyway, please keep sharing your experiences, so I can live vicariously through you :D

You know your stuff man. Thanks for the info. When you talk about the Brunei, you're referring to the Royal Birthday concert? It's interesting. The Tunisian concert was the latest to leak? I think I watched it last year? There's so many at the point I've lost count. Ah yes, Tunisia concert his hair is a little different if I recall correctly.

Do do you -or anyone- know if there's any HIStory Tour concert that's unreleased that has anything rear? I think Hawaii is sought after. Not sure if there's anything special about it in a rear sense other than it being in Hawaii.

No, I'm talking about the HIStory concert in Brunei which was on New Year's Eve in 1996. The Royal one was in July the same year but wasn't part of the HIStory tour. I don't know how familar you are with the tour's footage but watching the first 5 minutes already show that it was filmed/edited differently (Skip to 8:00 onwards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GIvbrUofqQ).
For both, Brunei and Munich a separate film crew was hired to capture the concerts - additional to the film crew who recorded every show for the jumbotron feed etc. (Nocturne Productions). Gavin Taylor from the UK was hired for Brunei (who also did the Royal Brunei concert half year before) and Dieter Dierks Studios from Cologne/Germany for the Munich shows.

As for what is the most recent leak of HIStory concerts, I'm not quite sure. Probably Basel 1997. Definitely not Tunisia though.

Last edited:
Just listening to the NYE Brunei show. The band sound fantastic. Such gorgeous little differences. You'd be so focused on Michael (even his lip-synched voice) that its so easy to forget that his band are utterly ridiculously good.

No, I'm talking about the HIStory concert in Brunei which was on New Year's Eve in 1996. The Royal one was in July the same year but wasn't part of the HIStory tour. I don't know how familar you are with the tour's footage but watching the first 5 minutes already show that it was filmed/edited differently (Skip to 8:00 onwards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GIvbrUofqQ).
For both, Brunei and Munich a separate film crew was hired to capture the concerts - additional to the film crew who recorded every show for the jumbotron feed etc. (Nocturne Productions). Gavin Taylor from the UK was hired for Brunei (who also did the Royal Brunei concert half year before) and Dieter Dierks Studios from Cologne/Germany for the Munich shows.

As for what is the most recent leak of HIStory concerts, I'm not quite sure. Probably Basel 1997. Definitely not Tunisia though.
Ive watched every concert from every tour that's available -to the best of my knowledge- but for the HIStory Tour my brain turns to mush because there's so much of it available and I've been so busy over the last 5 months or so I've not really kept tabs on things. Will watch Brunei again to refresh my mind and it's nice to have another show apart from Munich shot with extra cameras.

Thanks for the link and info again. :cool:

The 20th anniversary of my attendance at Sheffield was last Sunday. I knew it was coming. But it still seems odd that it was 20 years. It feels like so long ago but almost like a dream. I was 13.

I'm from Glasgow so my parents kindly road tripped me down to see him. I really didn't think in 1997 that it was going to be the last time Michael toured the UK. I remember coming off the motorway and seeing a banner by the roadside "SHEFFIELD WELCOMES THE KING OF POP". Then by the sides of the road I saw all the fans in their t-shirts heading to the venue. It was a beautiful sunny day and I immediately issued the decree, 'we MUST start queuing'. And so we did. I remember leaving my parents in the queue as I snuck up to the gates and peered through the gap at the soundcheck. MJ was on the big screen as the band played along. All day long fans approached me asking where I got my t-shirt from - it has been an unofficial one my mum had bought me on a trip to Paris. When the merchandise tent opened I got out all my pocket money I had saved for this moment since Christmas and bought everything I could get my hands on: several t-shirts, a programme, a key ring, a commemorative coin etc etc etc. When the gates opened I started running but my mother told me to slow down. I didn't want to but with all the crowds around I figured it was probably good advice. We eventually made it to the front and got a good spot to stand on the pitch. And this next bit I will never forget. I've been to a LOT of gigs in my life, and I've seen some of the biggest pop stars in the world in the flesh. Never have I ever heard an audience scream so loud, a reaction so BIG, as when Michael kicked down the door of his spaceship and stood defiantly, decked out in his space age armour. It was unreal. And when he stepped out of the spaceship and started to dance, it was the most surreal moment. I'll never forget it. The man I had studied all my life in his music videos and TV appearances was now in front of me in the flesh. Further moments that stand out, when Michael finished a song (maybe Beat It) he stood arms outstretched and looked out at the crowd...a smile slowly crept across his face. It seemed like he was looking at me. I guess we all felt that. It was a nice moment. And when he got on the cherry picker for Earth Song it seemed like the underside of those magical soles were in arms reach.

The next morning I woke up in our hotel room to breakfast news talking about Michael's first UK gig in years and showing footage. I lay in bed and read the programme. That day we went into town and at HMV I bought even more cool MJ items.

When Michael passed away in 2009 I was backpacking across Australia. Milllions of miles from friends and family. My parents called to ask if I was okay...a friend at the time remarked that it was almost as if a family member had passed away. The first thing I did was thank them for making my one and only time in his company a reality.

When I visited Forest Lawn in 2014 I spent a moment alone beneath 'his window'. It was eerie to think this was the closest I had been to him since that day in 1997. HIStory, indeed.
Fabulous. 🙂

Back