33 Bad songs by MJ

Hot_Street

Proud Member
According to Rolling Stone, "Jackson had 62 songs written and wanted to release 33 of them as a triple album, until [Quincy] Jones talked him down." This trimming down led to some excellent tracks being left on the cutting room floor, including "Streetwalker" (which Jackson preferred, but was talked out of by Jones in favor of "Another Part of Me"), "Fly Away" (a beautiful, melodic mid-tempo ballad), and "Cheater" (a funky, gritty rhythm track), among others.
I found 21 songs with Michael as writer or co-writer. What about the rest?

1. Bad
2. The Way You Make Me Feel
3. Speed Demon
4. Liberian Girl
5. Another Part of Me
6. I Just Can’t Stop Loving You
7. Dirty Diana
8. Smooth Criminal
9. Leave Me Alone
10. Don't Be Messin' 'Round
11. I'm So Blue
12. Song Groove (Abortion Papers)
13. Free
14. Price of Fame
15. Al Capone
16. Streetwalker
17. Fly Away
18. Loving You
19. Do You Know Where Your Children Are
20. Cheater
21. Someone Put Your Hand Out

I found 21 songs with Michael as writer or co-writer. What about the rest?

1. Bad
2. The Way You Make Me Feel
3. Speed Demon
4. Liberian Girl
5. Another Part of Me
6. I Just Can’t Stop Loving You
7. Dirty Diana
8. Smooth Criminal
9. Leave Me Alone
10. Don't Be Messin' 'Round
11. I'm So Blue
12. Song Groove (Abortion Papers)
13. Free
14. Price of Fame
15. Al Capone
16. Streetwalker
17. Fly Away
18. Loving You
19. Do You Know Where Your Children Are
20. Cheater
21. Someone Put Your Hand Out
These songs are not bad!:mad: Well, only 10,11 can be called bad, other songs are awesome! #STOPABUSINGBADALBUM

Be Me 4 a DayMichael Jackson
Calix Days Grey
  • Written and recorded in 1987 during the Bad sessions
  • Failed to make the Bad album
  • Reworked in 2000
  • Vocally complete song and ready for release
  • Also known as "Be Me For a Day", "Just For One Day Be Michael", "Just For a Day", "Me 4 a Day" and "Be Michael"
Tabloid JungleMichael Jackson[69][70]
Turnin' Me OffMichael Jackson
  • Written and recorded in January 1986. Worked with Bill Bottrell and John Barnes
  • Described as "one of Michael's edgier experiments" and "very groove-oriented" by Matt Forger
  • Reworked in 1990
  • Failed to make the Dangerous album
  • Track is vocally complete and ready for release
  • Also known as "Turning Me Off"
  • Song cited in Frank Cascio's book My Friend Michael
[71][76]
"What You Do to Me"(1984)Michael Jackson
  • Written in 1985
  • First registered with the United States Copyright Office in 1985
  • Failed to make the Bad album
  • 1985 demo was considered for inclusion on Bad 25
  • A completely different song with the same title was written and registered with the United States Copyright Office in 1998
  • 1998 version of the song is an early demo of "The Way You Love Me" with scratch vocals scattered throughout
  • Failed to make the Invincible album
  • Completed version of "The Way You Love Me" was released in 2004 on The Ultimate Collection
  • The song is vocally complete and ready for release
[80]

Last edited:
I'd love to know the 33 songs presented to Quincy. Given songs like Loving You and Don't Be Messin' Round weren't considered apparently.

Although don't hold me to that, I'm sure I read that in Damien's Xscape Origins book. I know Loving You wasn't recorded at Encino, it was recorded at RedWing I think

This was another one of Michael Jackson's unwise ideas in his career, but thankfully Quincy Jones stepped in and dissuaded him from releasing a triple disc 'BAD' album.

Also, in that case, the LP version (comprised of several vinyls), aside from being too heavy to carry, it would also hardly sell.

Quincy Jones did the right thing by narrowing down the track list, and the fact that the 'BAD' album sold so many copies was also because of being just one disc.

'Chicago 1945' was also left off from the album, much to @Beano Wild's dismay.

Has it ever been confirmed that Michael wanted to release a 3 disc LP album with bad? This has been taken as the gospel and I don’t quite remember anyone ever confirming this. I may be wrong though.

Other songs from the Bad sessions are:
Scared of the moon
Come Together
Apocalypse Now
Dreams Away
(Hot Fun in the summer time?)

Has it ever been confirmed that Michael wanted to release a 3 disc LP album with bad? This has been taken as the gospel and I don’t quite remember anyone ever confirming this. I may be wrong though.

Other songs from the Bad sessions are:
Scared of the moon
Come Together
Apocalypse Now
Dreams Away
(Hot Fun in the summer time?
Apocalypse Now is written by Michael.
John Robinson, the drummer on the track, during an interview with the Rhythm magazine in 2010:
"There was anaother track I did that never made it called "Apocalypse Now" that I wrote six and a half minutes of milltary drum cadences for. I brought in Don Williams, John Williams' brother, Dan Greco and Bob Zimmitti and we recorded with four field snares, four piccolo snares, two sets of piatti and one gran casa. It was a very hip tune but it never made the record. I was kind of upset about that."

It's odd that noone who's interviewed the guys involved in the making of Bad (especially Matt Forger) has asked them what songs were presented to Q as well as how many of them were considered and been (partially) worked on at Westlake.

Changes
Get around
Groove of midnight
Make or break
Bad company
Get In To The Groove
Places You Find Love

And these are songs from 1985-88

I didn't included songs from 1982-85, even tho some of em were presented to Quincy, so technically it's still kinda the bad era tho

Back