A list of songs Michael rehearsed but never performed?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
I don’t think this has been discussed a lot in the past. What do we know? If possible with sources

100% CONFIRMED
-Remember the time (we’ve seen it so it happened lol)
-state of shock (Jonathan Moffett)
-childhood (confirmed by Marcel Marceau the mime artist that was going to perform it with MJ)
-walk right now ( probably also really performed live but no dates are known)

BAND ONLY
-speed demon
-in the closet

POSSIBLY
-morphine
-can’t let her get away
-2bad
-liberian girl
-be not always
-smile
-threatened (personally I think it was just a small segment, an interlude perhaps?)

People who know more Jonathan Moffett, Jennifer Batten, Christopher Currell, Kevin Dorsey
What else? Hopefully this is not it!

I edited with the post and added more info so everybody can see the main info all on the first post. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
I don’t think this has been discussed a lot in the past. What do we know? If possible with sources

-be not always (source?)
-childhood (confirmed by Marcel Marceau the mime artist that was going to perform it with MJ)

Sunset Driver
do you know where your children are
For All Time
I like the way you love me
behind the mask
slave to the rhythm
xscape
love never felt so good
loving you
Chicago
blue gangsta

Last edited:
Sunset Driver
do you know where your children are
For All Time
I like the way you love me
behind the mask
slave to the rhythm
Blue gangster
xscape
love never felt so good
loving you
Chicago
blue gangsta
I think you have misunderstood the topic.

Songs MJ rehearsed for a live performance, but ended up not performing live anyway.

There were more songs that Michael Jackson rehearsed but he later removed from the set list, according to Jennifer Batten.

These songs were mostly the new songs from his latest album (which he rehearsed right before the start of a tour).

- "Are there many songs that were rehearsed that Michael didn't actually perform live at all?"

- "Yes and I hated that. I wanted to play all the new songs every tour, but sometimes he didn't feel comfortable with them and he'd remove them from the set list after we played them a few times" (Jennifer Batten, The Oregonian Interview)

Jennifer Batten also stated in another interview (in a European magazine) that Michael Jackson actually rehearsed 'In The Closet' for his Dangerous Tour.

Also, apart from 'Childhood', the singer is said to have rehearsed also 'Smile' for the 1995 HBO One Night Only shows (for the show which reportedly was planned to have only new songs from the 'HIStory' album, because the other show was planned to have only his classic hits from his previous albums).

-be not always (source?)

Walk Right Now was performed at the Triumph Tour in Memphis (July 8, 1981).
Childhood and Smile were going to be performed at the HBO special. Thriller was rehearsed for the Victory Tour. In The Closet was rehearsed and performed as an interlude in Toulouse for the Dangerous Tour. Rock With You, Threatened and Stranger In Moscow were rehearsed for the 30th Anniversary Celebration. Human Nature was also rehearsed for the HIStory Tour but replaced with Stranger In Moscow.

Last edited:
I did misunderstand, but on a different note, I just watched the Quincy documentary on Netflix, and he said that he and Rod Temperton had to choose 9 songs out of 600 for the Off The Wall album. I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know where the complete compilation can be found?

I did misunderstand, but on a different note, I just watched the Quincy documentary on Netflix, and he said that he and Rod Temperton had to choose 9 songs out of 600 for the Off The Wall album. I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know where the complete compilation can be found?
Now you're just kinda derailing the thread. Go to an unreleased song thread.

Morphine was definitely rehearsed for the second leg of the HIStory Tour. Can’t remember where that info came from. I believe Jonathan Moffett liked a comment on YouTube in which somebody was saying that they heard it being rehearsed from outside the venue.
Man, I'd kill for a live version of Morphine... Even just a rehearsal.

Back