A vocal coach dissects Michael Jackson’s voice

filmandmusic

Proud Member
26 minute video of dirty diana a cappella and a vocal coach discussion it

and a similar video for thriller, watch the end especially where you hear the harmonies

Very fun and informative watch, hopefully he’ll do some more tracks in the future.

Voice Teacher Reacts to Michael Jackson - Human Nature​

Voice Teacher Reacts to Michael Jackson - 1988 Grammys​

@Paris78 Yeah I've seen the vids you posted but his videos are more geared towards emotion not the uniqueness and technicality of MJ's vocals.

Phil / Wings of Pegasus - analyses Michael's vocal performance of WATW

22 mins

Not sure which thread to use, there seem to be a few different ones. I'll go for this one as the guy here is doing what seems to be a very technical analysis of Michael's vocal performance for WATW. The film footage is very familiar, of course, and I don't understand every single thing being said here bc I have no technical knowledge of voices, singing etc. I can understand the basic gist of what he's saying but I don't know enough to know if he's accurate and reliable. Seems legit. I like the guy's style, we didn't have to hear any intro stuff about Michael's 'tarnished legacy' which I've heard on some others. Just straight into Michael's ability as a singer.

Talking about the top of Michael's range, people say Michael could reach a C6 I've seen this stated many, many times. But the guy here says Michael can reach D5 which, apparently, is even higher. No idea if that is true.

Even though I didn't understand this 100%, I did find it really interesting, the best one of these type of videos that I've watched.

P.S. He's a guitar coach rather than a vocal coach but seems to know his stuff.

P.P.S @staywild23 - you probably haven't got time to watch this - 22 mins - but if you do I think you'll enjoy it. The way the guy watches Michael do his thing, so much genuine affection, enjoyment, pleasure. It's lovely to see.

Jan 2023 - @wendijane
this is the video I just mentioned. If you have time to check it out it's definitely time well spent. It's really lovely. Watching the guy's enjoyment of Michael's voice - SO cute!

Last edited:
Talking about the top of Michael's range, people say Michael could reach a C6 I've seen this stated many, many times. But the guy here says Michael can reach D5 which, apparently, is even higher. No idea if that is true.
No, a D5 is lower than a C6. The 6th octave is higher than the 5th one. I don't actually think Michael could reach C6, I can only reach it when severely straining myself, as I've said in the other thread.

No, a D5 is lower than a C6. The 6th octave is higher than the 5th one. I don't actually think Michael could reach C6, I can only reach it when severely straining myself, as I've said in the other thread.
Michael’s highest note was a C#6, so higher than a C6.

Back