Advocating The King of Pop - My Story

Hey, this was awesome. You got me from the beginning when you said that liking Michael´s music is acceptable nowadays. I am in high school and I can agree, he may not be the most popular singer, but everybody knows him and knows at least his most famous songs and short films.
Great read, I can´t share my experiences since I am young, but I have loved his music from the first song I heard, and I think most people have the same experience.
I don´t know if you have more articles, but you should write more if you haven´t, thanks for this.

Loved it! We're the same age and I also had TII tickets (July 22. Our stories (Becoming fans, defending him all our lives based on pretty much blind faith until we were old enough to research and understand, etc). I share the same sentiments as you do - I'm kind of upset we didn't get that moment that he was truly vindicated...people just kind of brushed it off and were all like "YEAH MJ IS AWESOME!" ...where were they then?

That being said, I don't think his fanbase was small by anymeans during that time, it's just massive now and much more vocal.

First of all, this it brilliant Gatesy. What I find interesting is how many fans I've met since his passing that are my age? I was also born in 87, and I relate to your fan isolation growing up because I was right there with you. One thing I'm particularly proud of now is the ability to read an MJ related book at a coffee shop or what have you without people whispering and pointing. When he passed, I had small amount of onlooking albeit semi uncomfortable friends asking if I was okay. One friend was even so supportive as to attend a local tribute show either that night or very closely to at the then local gay club, which, I kid you not, had perhaps, 10 people in attendance? It was disheartening to say the least. Thankfully, the age of Facebook was upon us, and I discovered a local memorial happening that weekend, which I attended solo, to which I found myself amongst people with my mentality, of the same age, for the first time in ... well ever. The greatest thing I took from his passing was the phenomenal friendships I was able to create and sustain to this day. It's strange to think now that while I spent the vast majority of my life isolated in my fandom singing Keep the Faith alone in my bedroom while he was living, in his death I am now more than ever surrounded by likeminded and understanding MJ friends that had been through the same process. It's also amusingly ironic to note, that had I been old enough to travel down to LA for the 2005 trial to show support, I would have been laughed out of my friends group, but when I hoped in a car with said new MJ fans I had met at that memorial for a total time frame of a few hours and went down to LA on July 1st for his passing, while my non MJ friends still thought I was unhinged, they can't help but force me to tell that story to new people we meet with amusement, as if my journey is now something to hang on my shelf like a World's Greatest Fan Story trophy.

Thanks for the COOL :punk: article!

It's indeed a 'struggle' but if it wasn't it would be dull and boring and Life is an adventure, right?

I've been through Hell and Heaven too. I 'grew' up with MJ. I never really cared for 'friends outside the MJ bubble' though as I had Michael's music and videos to keep me sweet and yeash, back in the days it seemed like an 'odd' thing to love MJ cause he was treated like an outcast and so was I. I had every 'gorgeous' word thrown at me but it never 'bothered' me though as I knew that one day, I would find the people who would understand the whole of me.
Since he's gone. The world has somehow flipped and people are even nice to you now. :smilerolleyes:

Then again, when you meet 'fans'. its like you 'connect' instantly and they get the whole of you. They feel like 'family' really!

Hmm, you have 'inspired' me to 'reveal' my own thoughts on the matter! (y)
Thanks!

Last edited:
Being an MJ fan is a very interesting experience, isn't it? He is supposed to be very mainstream, but he isn't really. I mean everyone seems to love his music - either openly or secretly (just look at the plays his music gets on streaming services and of course his sales) - but at least since the early 90s until his death it wasn't very "cool" to admit you do. Especially if you were a kid at a high school or college.

It's the ultimate cool in my book though. When everyone was supposed to like grunge or hip-hop you still liked MJ the most? When the media declared MJ uncool you still loved his music? When people were throwing all kinds of insults at him (or you, for liking him) ignorantly judging him based on some cherry-picked media soundbite they heard about the allegations on TV or read in some tabloid or on some internet gossip page, but you knew it wasn't true because you actually did your homework and research before you judged the case?

That all just means you were not the kind of person going with the flow, fashions, fads and peer pressures just to fit in, but had your own mind despite of peer pressures, bullies and media lies. (y)

And I think it speaks for the strength of MJ's legacy both as an artist and as a person, that despite of the relentless and unprecedented attacks and constant attempts at character assasination his legacy stands strong. I don't know if there is any other artists whose fan base would have survived all what MJ and his fan base went through.

It's also funny, because most of the kids that made fun of you in school for liking him had faves who no one even remembers any more. I am 10 years older than OP, so in my case when I was in grammar school I was mocked for being an MJ fan by a Bros fan. Never heard of them? Nevermind. It was some late 80s British boy band. This boy at school thought they were the coolest thing ever and decided to pick on me and my friend for being MJ fans. And some 30 years later I am still here listening to Michael Jackson but I wonder if he even remembers Bros now. I somehow don't see him still listening to his Bros records. LOL.

I still remember my friends who thought MJ was too girly and too "gay" unlike George Michael and Ricky Martin . LOL

Being an MJ fan is a very interesting experience, isn't it? He is supposed to be very mainstream, but he isn't really. I mean everyone seems to love his music - either openly or secretly (just look at the plays his music gets on streaming services and of course his sales) - but at least since the early 90s until his death it wasn't very "cool" to admit you do. Especially if you were a kid at a high school or college.

It's the ultimate cool in my book though. When everyone was supposed to like grunge or hip-hop you still liked MJ the most? When the media declared MJ uncool you still loved his music? When people were throwing all kinds of insults at him (or you, for liking him) ignorantly judging him based on some cherry-picked media soundbite they heard about the allegations on TV or read in some tabloid or on some internet gossip page, but you knew it wasn't true because you actually did your homework and research before you judged the case?

That all just means you were not the kind of person going with the flow, fashions, fads and peer pressures just to fit in, but had your own mind despite of peer pressures, bullies and media lies. (y)

And I think it speaks for the strength of MJ's legacy both as an artist and as a person, that despite of the relentless and unprecedented attacks and constant attempts at character assasination his legacy stands strong. I don't know if there is any other artists whose fan base would have survived all what MJ and his fan base went through.

It's also funny, because most of the kids that made fun of you in school for liking him had faves who no one even remembers any more. I am 10 years older than OP, so in my case when I was in grammar school I was mocked for being an MJ fan by a Bros fan. Never heard of them? Nevermind. It was some late 80s British boy band. This boy at school thought they were the coolest thing ever and decided to pick on me and my friend for being MJ fans. And some 30 years later I am still here listening to Michael Jackson but I wonder if he even remembers Bros now. I somehow don't see him still listening to his Bros records. LOL.

This is a fantastic post! I got abuse from my friends for liking him when thet listened to Westlife, Scooter and other mediocre nonsense! Yet who really listens to them now?

I managed to write this up today!

For me, it was 1982 when suddenly my world seemed brighter as
I've 'discovered' the artist Michael Jackson through the local radio.
There was something about his voice that made me look him up in
the list. I know, it may sound odd but even reading his name,
felt like I already had a 'connection' somehow and so
I suddenly spotted him eveywhere.
On TV, on the cover of magazines, his image printed on memorabilia.

Aside from the fact, I started collecting stuff and
became 'intrigued' into the life of this artist,
I experienced 'adversity' too. It seemed like all of a sudden
I got myself a ticket to be 'outcasted' somehow cause
I wasn't joining in the flock of 'dehumanising' and
'slandering' one particular 'human being' cause
he stood out in brilliance.
Michael still believed in the 'dream'.
He believed he could change the world and he did as
he was a pioneer in the music industry that 'revolutionized'
today's Music culture but what a huge toll did he pay for it!

It was only when it was too late and Michael was 'ripped' out
of our lives that the flock startled awake.
What have we done now?

Well, I will never understand why people slander, criticize or
even expose one's weakness.
Is it pure jealousy or greed? Could be the fact that they just
envy his boldness to stand up for what he believes while
others 'suffer' in silence just to 'belong' somewhere.

So through all the hardship, I did find a 'silver lining'.
While the flock adapts with every new trend while
they ultimate lose themselves in becoming ONE with
the group that will shomehow 'outcast' you if speak up.
I found a friend, a mentor, a steady rock in the vast sea of
change called life.

No matter what people claimed he was and no matter how
they tried to 'lure' me to their dark side, I stayed put and
in the end all they can do is 'respect' you.

I like to believe that Michael's 'ordeal' here on earth
hasn't been in vain cause with his passion and his perseverance,
he gathered an Army of LOVE that to this very day defend
an INNOCENT man that only wanted to make that change.

So, the term "if you can't beat them, join them"
never really worked in my case as my motto has always been
"Whatever you believe, you become"
Indeed, no matter how big the adversity is in your life,
never surrender or settle for second best.
Demand the full thang so you can get the BEST outta life cause
after all, it's YOUR life right?​

Sure, it'll find its way to the Blog too. Thanks for the 'inspiration' Gatesy

I still remember my friends who thought MJ was too girly and too "gay" unlike George Michael and Ricky Martin . LOL

The irony is strong with this one! :toofunny: While I'm not homophobic and I wouldn't had minded if Michael himself told he was gay, he said the opposite on many occasions. I choose to believe him, firstly because he rarely lied in public and most importantly, to this day there isn't a single prove (pictures, videos,etc) sustaining such claim while George Michael and Ricky Martin had to be discovered to come out of the closet publicly.

I read the whole thing and it's kinda sad... The way I understand it, many of his fans were in hiding, simply because they thought they'd be judged if they said that they liked MJ. He's more respected now, but I really really think that he didn't lose his fans as people say, there's no way he could've achieved so much in the later period of his life if he had only a handful of followers.

Apart from that, I found this account brilliant and genuinely moving!

I managed to write this up today!

For me, it was 1982 when suddenly my world seemed brighter as
I've 'discovered' the artist Michael Jackson through the local radio.
There was something about his voice that made me look him up in
the list. I know, it may sound odd but even reading his name,
felt like I already had a 'connection' somehow and so
I suddenly spotted him eveywhere.
On TV, on the cover of magazines, his image printed on memorabilia.

Aside from the fact, I started collecting stuff and
became 'intrigued' into the life of this artist,
I experienced 'adversity' too. It seemed like all of a sudden
I got myself a ticket to be 'outcasted' somehow cause
I wasn't joining in the flock of 'dehumanising' and
'slandering' one particular 'human being' cause
he stood out in brilliance.
Michael still believed in the 'dream'.
He believed he could change the world and he did as
he was a pioneer in the music industry that 'revolutionized'
today's Music culture but what a huge toll did he pay for it!

It was only when it was too late and Michael was 'ripped' out
of our lives that the flock startled awake.
What have we done now?

Well, I will never understand why people slander, criticize or
even expose one's weakness.
Is it pure jealousy or greed? Could be the fact that they just
envy his boldness to stand up for what he believes while
others 'suffer' in silence just to 'belong' somewhere.

So through all the hardship, I did find a 'silver lining'.
While the flock adapts with every new trend while
they ultimate lose themselves in becoming ONE with
the group that will shomehow 'outcast' you if speak up.
I found a friend, a mentor, a steady rock in the vast sea of
change called life.

No matter what people claimed he was and no matter how
they tried to 'lure' me to their dark side, I stayed put and
in the end all they can do is 'respect' you.

I like to believe that Michael's 'ordeal' here on earth
hasn't been in vain cause with his passion and his perseverance,
he gathered an Army of LOVE that to this very day defend
an INNOCENT man that only wanted to make that change.

So, the term "if you can't beat them, join them"
never really worked in my case as my motto has always been
"Whatever you believe, you become"
Indeed, no matter how big the adversity is in your life,
never surrender or settle for second best.
Demand the full thang so you can get the BEST outta life cause
after all, it's YOUR life right?​

Sure, it'll find its way to the Blog too. Thanks for the 'inspiration' Gatesy

No problem! That was a moving post! Really enjoyed reading that.

Back