AEG Lawsuit- E mails ( Read only no discussion )

bouee

Proud Member
So, I tried to sort the e mails we have heard of so far, by dates

be careful the time is not always clear, so the order of the e mails could not be correct

Italic type are my notes

13 june 08

On 6/13/08, Phillips sent email to Colony Capital with a summation of plans for MJ for four years.
Email: I caution you that MJ is not fast and a total perfectionist (needs to be controlled as much as possible).

Phillips said he was referring to MJ's spending.

7th january 09

Email from Bob Taylor insurance broker to Trell on 1/7/09: prior to speaking w/ carriers we ask the artist to attend medical with a doctor... A full medical with both blood/urine tests. The doctor also wants to review the medical records over the last 5 years to ensure full disclosure. Insurers require further medical examination to be carried out by their nominated doctor. They may restrict illness cover or death from illness cover until this examination has taken place. (ABC7)

February 09:

Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP23m
A February 2009 email between him (Gongaware) and the insurance broker showed that insurers wanted med checkups on Jackson every 21 days.

The broker also wanted details on the concert set, dates, and other details that Gongaware said weren't decided on yet.

“The back to back shows WILL be a problem,” the broker wrote Gongaware. Suggested adding them in after Jackson started performing shows.

These questions/statements from the insurance broker came after Jackson passed his initial physical exam. Insurers wanted 2nd exam in London

11 February 09

ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts3m
Email on 2/11/09 from Bob Taylor to Gongaware: Thanks Paul. I now have the medical and blood reports. Look good.
Email cont'd: I now need more info of what is available. This will help with the presentation to the insurers.

ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts10s (date ??)
Another request from insurance broker: I would like to offer insurers a medical update say every 21 days.

ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts47s (date ??)
Response from Gongaware: I'm not ready to put anything in writing. Gongaware said it was because he didn't have the answers.

27th february 09

Email on 2/27/09 from Gongaware to Phillips: We are holding all of the risk, if MJ won't t approve it we go without his approval.We let Mikey know just what it will cost him in terms of him making money, and the we go with or without him in London. We cannot be forced into stopping this, which MJ will try to do because he is lazy and constantly changes his mind to fit his immediate wants. (ABC7)

"Once we go on sale, which we have the right to do, he is locked," Gongaware wrote to Phillips.
note : the date of this email is not clear. The context shows it's likely related to TII press conference

TII Press conference : 5th March 09

One of them was an email about TII press conference Phillips wrote to Leiweke that MJ was drunk and refusing to address the fans.

"MJ is locked in his room drunk and despondent," Phillips wrote. "I [am] trying to sober him up.
"I screamed at him so loud the walls are shaking," Phillips told him. "He is an emotionally paralyzed mess riddled with self-loathing and doubt now that it is showtime."

In another email he wrote to Tim Leiweke, then-chief executive of parent company Anschutz Entertainment Group, Phillips said: “MJ is locked in his room drunk and despondent. Tohme [another Jackson manager] and I are trying to sober him up and get him to the press conference with his hairdresser/make-up artist.”

Leiweke replied: "Are you kidding me?" (ny post)

In a second email to Leiweke, Phillips wrote: “I screamed at him so loud the walls are shaking. Tohme and I have dressed him and they are finishing his hair and then we are rushing to the O2. This is the scariest thing I have ever see. He is an emotionally paralyzed mess riddled with self loathing and doubt now that it is show time. He is scared to death. Right now I just want to get through his press conference.”

In another email Phillips wrote to a business partner: “I haven’t pulled it off yet. We still have to get his nose on propery (sic). You have no idea what this is like. He is a self-loathing, emotionally paralyzed mess.”

To another business associate, Phillips wrote: "I haven't pulled it off yet. We still have to get his nose on properly. You have no idea what this is like. He is a self-loathing emotionally paralyzed mess... I just slapped him." (ny post)

13th march 09

Email on 3/13/09 from Leiweke to Phillips:
Phil (Anschutz) can be such a paranoid scrooge. He thinks he's smarter than everyone. (ABC7)

25th march 09

Email on 3/25/09 from Gongaware to Phillips: It's her (Faye) strong opinion this is dangerous/impractical w/ MJ's health/ability to perform. Response from Gongaware to Phillips: Not sure what to send back... Randy responded: "We need to pull the plug now. I will explain."
In another March 25, 2009, email, Ortega wrote Gongaware that it was Faye's "strong opinion that this is dangerous and impractical with consideration to MJ's health and ability to perform.".

note conflicting info : one source says the mail about Karen's opinion was sent by Gongaware, another source says it was from Ortega

30th april 09

Email from 4/30/09: Wooley to Trell : "We have no coverage against MJ sickness unless and until MJ submits to another medical in London” (ABC7)

2nd May 09
Plaintiff’s attorney Brian Panish showed a May 2, 2009 letter signed by Jackson indicating that Dileo was one of his representatives
The letter included the curious phrasing that Dileo could conduct business on Jackson’s behalf “only when instructed.”
AEG exec Paul Gongaware wrote Phillips: “This is a bit strange. “Only when instructed”? How are we to know?” (date of the email is not clear)
Phillips replied that they’d need a signed contract or letter with Jackson authorizing that Dileo could be paid a $50k advance. (date of the email is not clear)
Gongaware replied, “We just sign off and pray.” (date of the email is not clear)
"But what we apply it against," Phillips wrote back. Phillips cont'd: "I think we need MJ to acknowledge for our record and direct us. You know he has amnesia when it comes to paying people." (ABC7)

5th May 09

Email on 5/5/09 from Gongaware to Carla Garcia: Pray for me. This is a nightmare. Not coincidentally, I have them now every night. Cold sweats too. Life used to be so much fun... (ABC7) It was not an admission that he was concerned about Jackson's ability to do the show, he said. "It was just playing around, joking," with AEG President Tim Leiweke's assistant, Carla Garcia, he testified. "Carla is an absolute babe and I was just chatting her up," he said. (CNN)

On 5/5/09, MJ wrote: "At my direction and effective immediately, Dr. Tohme Tohme is no longer authorized to represent me in any capacity" (ABC7)
note this was a letter

6th May 09

Email from Gongaware to Brother Michael on 5/6/09 regarding Dr. Murray:
"Done at $150K per month, per MJ."

21st may 09
Email on 5/21/09 from Wooley to Dr. Murray: Dear Conrad, I should like to send a contract to you in the next day or two But am looking for help writing the legal department because the form within which I work don't apply to your specialized position. So it has to be custom-generated. (ABC7)

End of may 09

Dancer and choreographer Alif Sankey told a jury that MJ appeared thin and unprepared for the rigors of the shows. She testified that a month before MJ’s death, she wrote an email to tour director Kenny Ortega urging him to try to improve the singer's health and spirits. She says she never received a reply. (AP)
Sankey wrote to Ortega: "Please help me help you to get him back into that Magical Light, please let me help you help him find what was lost, his GRAIL," She wrote that she knew what she could say to Jackson that would make him respond and also offered suggestions to help lessen the pain of rehearsals.(AP)

Email on 5/26/09 from Timm Wooley to Brigitte Segal: Brigitte, Any joy with an agreement for Murray to sign. He's pinging on us for payment but we can't without a contract in place. Would like to stall him with something for him to look at & mull over. Brigitte dealt with the housing in London.

Gongaware on 5/27/09: The Kid is healthy and rehearsing every day. He was still there at dance rehearsals at 9pm last night when I left.
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 5 h
Email cont'd: Our redemption will be when he does his shows, that makes all of this build up so damn sweet.
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 5 h
Email cont'd: We don't have to sell tickets, so we can just sit back and prove them wrong by just doing it.

Email from 5/28/09: Trell to Taylor:"We really need to get that medical done" (ABC7)

5/28/09, Wooley to Dr. Murray He said the legal department has not yet completed the agreement which is rather specialized, rare event Email noted payment could only be made upon fully executed contract. .(ABC7)

Email from Dr. Murray to Wooley on May 29, 2009:"I have performed and continue to fulfill my services to the client in good faith. Therefore, I am asking you to deposit my fee for May in reciprocity of good faith on your part as per our agreement the usual and customary date for deposit is around 15th of each month, by today's date we're 13 days beyond my monthly fee.

2nd june 09

Email on 6/2/09 from Randy Phillips to Jeff Wald: "Jeff, remember getting MJ to focus is not the easiest thing in the world and we still have no lawyer, business manager, or, even real manager in place. It is a nightmare!" (ABC7)

5th june 09

Gongaware on 6/5/09 in response to Sunday Mirror Query: "We can only make this work, of course, if MJ puts on the best show of his life.
Email cont'd: I'm here to tell you that be will. I have seen it for myself. Last night he ran 9 songs with full band, singers and dancers.
Email cont'd: Sang every one, he was amazing, captivating, riveting. And he's just getting started.
Email cont'd: Taking it one step further. When people realize that bulls**t the press has been, they will be in receptive mood for the truth
Email cont'd: Hey look. No skin cancer. He's just a good dad, loving raising his kids. His art and his craft are paramount.
Email cont'd: A gentile, loving man who does care about people. "The shows were going to be spectacular," Gongaware said.

9th june 09
Putnam showed a letter signed by MJ on June 9, 2009 requesting AEG to advance the sum of $50,000 to Frank DiLeo.

14th & 15th june 09

Bina shows an email from Ortega to Gongaware on Jun 14: "We're you aware that MJ's doctor didn't permit him to attend rehearsal yesterday? Without invading MJ's privacy, it might be good idea to talk to his doctor to make sure everything MJ requires is in place. Who is responsible for MJ getting proper nourishment/vitamins/therapy every day? Personally, I feel he should have a top Nutritionist and Physical Therapist working with him on a regular basis. The demand on this guy is mentally and physically extraordinary! The show requirements exhaust our 20 year olds. Please don't underestimate the need to stay on top of this" (ABC7)

Gongaware to Kenny Ortega that said “We want to remind him that it is AEG, not MJ who is paying his salary”. In his deposition Gongaware repeatedly said he didn’t remember the email or recall what it meant (AP) (from opening statements).
Another part of the same email chain, from Gongaware: "Frank and I have discussed it already and have requested a face-to-face meeting w/ the doctor... We want to remind him that it's AEG not MJ who's paying his salary We want him to understand what is expected of him. He has been dodging Frank so far.” (ABC7)
Panish showed the email that was forwarded to Frank DiLeo and Phillips was cc'd containing the mention that AEG, not MJ, pays Dr. Murray.

On June 15, 2009, Gongaware sent and emai to Ortega in response to request for nutritionist and physical therapist for MJ. Email: We're on it. AEG owns major sports teams in this market so we think we can find the right people quickly. Kenny responded: Super.Not a minute too soon. Let's turn this guy around! (ABC7)

Anthony McCartney ‏@mccartneyAP 11 h
Hougdahl, in response to concerns expressed by Travis Payne about Jackson’s weight, wrote singer needed a new diet.
Email 6/15/09 from Hougdahl to Gongaware He needs some cheeseburgers w/ bunch of Wisconsin cheesehead bowlers and couple of brats and beers

6/15/09 Jorrie wrote to Wooley: I've attached draft for your review/comment. If you approved the attached, please submit copy to Dr. Murray (ABC7)

17th june 09

Email from 6/17/09 from Phillips: ...Ortega, Gongaware, Dileo, and his doctor Conrad from Vegas and I have an intervention with him to get him to focus and come to rehearsal (ABC7)
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 4 h
Panish showed an email dated 6/17/09 from Phillips to Dr. Tohme: Kenny Ortega, Gongaware, DiLeo, his doctor named Conrad from Vegas and I
Email cont'd: have an intervention with him to get him to focus and come to rehearsals yesterday.
Email cont'd: Getting him fully engaged is difficult and the most pressing matter as we are only 20 days out from the first show.

Email from 6/17/09 from Gongaware to Phillip's assistant: "We need a physical therapist and a nutritionist" (ABC7)

18th june 09

On 6/18/09 Gongaware sent an email to Phillips with all of Dr. Murray's phone numbers

19th / 20th june 09

Email from Production Manager - Gongaware/Phillips on 6/19/09 : “Paul/Randy I'm not bring a drama queen here. Kenny asked me to notify you both MJ was sent home without stepping foot on stage. He was a basket case and Kenny was concerned he would embarrass himself on stage, or worse yet, be hurt. The company is rehearsing right now, but the DOUBT is pervasive. (ABC7)
ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 9 h
Email cont'd: The company is rehearsing right now, but the DOUBT is pervasive. Time to circle the wagons. Bugzee

Email on 6/19/09 from John Hougdahl to Randy Phillips, Response from Hougdahl to Phillips, about needing trainer/therapist: My laymen's degree tells me he needs a shrink to get him mentally prepared to get on stage and then a trained to get him in physical shape... (Kobe's should be available) I have watched him deteriorated in front of my eyes over the last 8 weeks. He was able to do multiple 360 spins back in April. He'd fall on his ass if he tried it now."
John Houghdahl was the stage manager of "This Is It" tour.

Email from Randy Phillips to Tim Leiweke on 6/19/09 : "We have a huge problem here." (ABC7)
"We have a real problem here," Phillips wrote his boss that night.
We have a real problem here," Phillips wrote his boss that night. (AP) Tim Leiweke was Phillips' boss at the time. Within 19 mins of receiving Bugzee's email on the evening of Jun 19, Phillips forwarded Bugzee's email adding "We have a real problem here." Just over four minutes later, Leiweke responded the email asking for a meeting between him, MJ, Phillips and Kenny Ortega. Phillips said he forwarded the email to Ortega and asked him to set up the meeting. Ortega responded yes to the email next morning.

Email on 6/19/09 from Leiweke to Phillips: Let's set up a time for your and I to meet with him. I want Kenny in the meeting as well. (ABC7)

Response from Phillips on Jun 20: Bugzee, I know because I just got Kenny's message on my voicemail.What did he do when he got there and what happened between him and KO? I have a meeting with MJ tomorrow morning. (ABC7)

From Hougdahl (Bugzee)to Phillips, cc'd Gongaware: MJ came out and watched all the pyro demonstration and endorsed the all the effects then went into his room and asked Kenny "you aren't going to kill the artist, are you?" We assumed this was reference to pyro, but Kenny said he was shaking and couldn't hold his knife and fork. Kenny had to cut his food for him before he could eat, and then had to use his fingers. I don't know how much embellishment there is to this, but (Kenny) said repeatedly that MJ was in no shape to go on stage. He kept going on and on how no one was taking responsibility for "getting him ready". We might be getting beyond ... damage control, here. (ABC7)

Email from Phillips to Gongaware on 6/20/09 at 1:52 am : Tim and I are going to see him tomorrow, however, I'm not sure what the problem is Chemical or Physiological? (ABC7)

Email from Ortega to Phillips on 6/20/09

"I honestly don't think he's ready for this based in his continued physical weakening and deepening emotional state. It is reminiscent if what Karen, Bush, Travis and I remembered just before he fainted causing the HBO Concerts to be canceled. There are strong signs of paranoia, anxiety and obsessive-like behavior. I think the very best thing we can do is get a top Psychiatrist in to evaluate him ASAP. It’s like there are two people there. One (deep inside) trying to hold on to what he was and still can be and not wanting us to quit him, the other in his weakened and troubled state … I honestly felt if I had encouraged or allowed him on stage last night he could have hurt himself. I believe we need professional guidance in this matter." (ABC7 & LA Times)

mail from Ortega to Phillips on 6/20/09 at 2am: My concern is now that we have brought the doctor in the fold and have applied tough love, now or never card, that the artist may be unable to rise to the occasion

Email on 6/20/09 from Ortega to Phillips: Finally, it's important for everyone to know, I believe that he really wants this it would shatter him, break his heart if we pulled the plug. He's terribly frightened it's all going to go away. He asked me repeatedly tonight if I was going to leave him. He was practically begging for my confidence. He broke my heart. He was like a lost boy. There still may be a chance he can arise to the occasion. If we get him the help he needs. (ABC7)

Same email, from CM's trial, from ortega to phillips :
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...ct-announced?p=3495236&viewfull=1#post3495236
Randy

I will do whatever I can to be of help with this situation. If you need me to come to the house, just give me a call in the morning. My concern is now that we've brought the doctor into the fold and have played the tough love, now or never card is that the artist may be unable to rise to the occasion due to real emotional stuff. He appeared quite weak and fatigued this evening. He had a terrible case of the chills, was trembling, rambling and obsessing. Everything in me says he should be psychologically evaluated. If we have any chance at all to get him back in the light. It's going to take a strong therapist to help him through this as well as immediate physical nurturing. I was told by our chereographer that during the artists costume fitting with his designer tonight they noticed he's lost more weight. As far as i can tell there is no one taking care responsibility (caring for) for him on a daily basis. Where was his assistant tonight? Tonight I was feeding him, wrapping him in blankets to warm his chills, massaging his feet to calm him and calling his doctor. There were four security guards outside his door, but no one offering him a cup of hot tea. Finally it's important for everyone to know , I believe that he really wants this. I twould shatter him, Break his heart if we pulled the plug. He's terribly frightened it's all going to go away. He asked me repeatedly tonight if i was going to leave him. H e was practically begging for my confidence. It broke my heart. H e was like a lost boy. There still may be a chance he can rise to the occasion if we get him the help he needs

Sincerely,
Kenny

Phillips responded: Kenny, I will call you when I figure this out,we have a person like that, Brigitte, who's in London advancing his stay. We will bring her back asap and Frank, too, however, I'm stymied on who to bring in as a therapist and how they can get through to him in such a short time. (ABC7)

From Gongaware to Phillips, on 6/20/09 at 5:59 am : Take the doctor with you. Why wasn't he there last night? (ABC7)

Phone message to Murray left by Jackson’s manager Frank DiLeo on June 20, 2009 (Murray trial).
“I’m sure you’re aware he had an episode last night. He’s sick. Today’s Saturday, tomorrow I’m on my way back. I’m not gonna continue my trip. Uh, I think you need -- I think you need to get a blood test on him today. I -- I -- we gotta see what he’s doing. All right. Thank you.” (LATimes)

Phillips responded and added Tim Leiweke in the chain: He is not a psychiatrist so I'm not sure how effective he can be at this point. Obviously, getting him there is not the issue. It is much deeper.
From Phillips to Gongaware, on 6/20/09 at 2:01 pm : He is not a psychiatrist so I'm not sure how effective he can be at this point obviously, getting him there is not the issue. It is much deeper. (ABC7)

There was one email from Phillips from morning of June 20, 2009 . It was sent to MJ's business manager. Phillips said Kane had been seeking a $1 million advance for Jackson against the earnings of his "This Is It" shows.
"This is why it is impossible to advance any $$$. He may, unfortunately, be in anticipatory breach at this point" _ Phillips wrote
The manager, Michael Kane, quickly replied, “And I thought it couldn’t get worse.”
“It could,” the CEO replied. “Kenny Ortega could quit.”
Kane asked Phillips in an email on June 20: "Would a financial coming to Jesus speech help or add to his pressure?"
“It would help,” Phillips wrote back. “At this point we need to break through. I am going to call his doctor to discuss.”

Email from Phillips: Unfortunately, we are running out of time. That's my biggest fear. . (ABC7) "That is my biggest fear," Phillips wrote to Gongaware and the CEO of AEG Live's parent company, Anschutz Entertainment Group, on June 20, 2009
Phillips then forwarded the email chain to John Branca, Joel Katz, Tim Leiweke (his boss), adding "Unfortunately we are running out of time" (ABC7)

Email from John Branca to Phillips, Gongaware, Joel Katz, Frank DiLeo, Michael Kane on 6/20/09 : "I have the right therapist/spiritual advisor/substance abuse counselor who could help (recently helped Mike Tyson get sober and paroled) Do we know whether there is a substance issue involved (perhaps better discussed on the phone). (ABC7)

Panish talked about email Phillips wrote to Ortega on Jun 20:
"Kenny, it's critical that neither you, me or anyone else around this show become amateur psychiatrist or physicians. I had a lengthy conversation with Dr. Murray, who I'm gaining immense respect for as I get to deal with him more. He said that Michael is not only physically equipped to perform and, that discouraging him to, will hasten his decline instead of stopping it. Dr. Murray also reiterated that he's mentally able to and was speaking to me from the house where he has spent the morning with MJ. This doctor is extremely successful (we check everyone out) and does not need this gig so he totally unbiased and ethical. It is critical we surround Michael with love and support and listen to how he wants to get ready for July 13th. Cont'd: You cannot imagine the harm and ramifications of stopping this show now. It would far outweigh "calling this game in the 7th inning". I'm not just talking about AEG's interests here, but the myriad of stuff/lawsuits swirling around MJ that I crisis manage every day and also his well-being. I am meeting with him today at 4p at the Forum. Please stay steady. Enough alarms have sounded. It is time to out out the fire, not burning the building down. Sorry for all the analogies. Randy (ABC7)

Email on 6/20/09 from Phillips to LeiwekeComm and Kazoodi: This guy is really starting to concern me. Read his email and my response. Dr. Murray and I are meeting with MJ at 4pm today at The Forum. (ABC7)
Phillips also expressed concerns about Ortega, writing to Gongaware's private email address, "This guy is really starting to concern me." Gongaware testified Wednesday that he wasn't sure who Phillips was referring to, and his boss may have been expressing concerns about Jackson or Murray. (AP) Phillips sent this email to Leiweke and Gongaware's private email accounts. "Kazzodi" is a private email address that belongs to Gongaware
"This guy is starting to concern me," Phillips wrote in an email to Leiweke, Gongaware and Frank DiLeo. (ABC7)

"The account (Kazoodi account) was closed at the time," Gongaware testified, saying he never received the email. But he said he never denied it was sent.
Ouvrir
ABC7 Court News ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 4 h
Gongaware said he had more than one "Kazoodi" email account. He said he was not using the account the email was sent to on 6/20.

Panish showed an email from Tim Leiweke (CEO of AEG) to Dan Beckerman (CFO/COO of AEG) in which Beckerman described Phillips as jittery. "Trouble with MJ," Leiweke wrote in email to Beckerman on Jun 20. "Big trouble." Beckerman responded: "I figured something might be wrong given how jittery Randy has been this week. Is it "pre-show nerves" bad or "get a straight jacket/call our insurance carrier" bad?"

June 22nd 09

06/22/09 from Hougdahl (Production Manager, known as Bugzee) to Gongaware: Further to the earlier email Let's keep our 2 docu people out of here today, unless they stay in the dressing room area only. Tomorrow is another story... (ABC7)

Phillips was also shown an email from his assistant, looking for a physical therapist for Jackson on June 22, 2009 _ 3 days before MJ died.(AP)

23rd June 09

Email from 6/23/09: Trell to Taylor : "Any update on the availability of Term insurance?" (life insurance) (ABC7)
Trell said if they secured life insurance, they would get money if MJ died. "We would get the money owed to us, yes,"

Email chain from 6/23/09, 5:39pm from Jorrie to Wooley, Murray
Subject: RE: Michael Jackson - Revised Agreement with GCA Holdings/Dr. Murray
Email: I have redlined the Word version so that you can see all of the revisions. In addition, I've attached clean PDF version for execution
The email says that if Dr. Murray approved it, he was to print it, sign and send it back to Jorrie. (ABC7)

Email on 6/23/09 from Timm Wooley to Bob Taylor (insurance broker): Kenny Ortega has responsibility only for the show content and structure Randy Phillips and Dr. Murray are responsible for MJ rehearsal and attendance schedule. Looks like there might have been an issue in KO either not being demanding enough.

On Jun 23, Michael Kane wrote to DiLeo and Phillips: Where does Arnold Klein stand on the list? (of doctors caring for MJ). "He scares us to death because he is shooting him up with something," Phillips wrote back. Kane responded: Well since we owe him $48k and he wants payment maybe I should stop paying him and he'll stop shooting him up. I have the details of what he is doing

24th June 09

Email from Kathy Jorie to Shawn Trell on 6/24/09 at 12:54 am:
Subject: Revised agreement with GCA Holdings/Dr. Murray
It had two attachments Attachments:
Revised Michael Jackson -AEG GCA Holdings Murray Agreement 6-18-09
Final MJ -- AEG GCA Holdings Agreement (Dr. Murray) 6-23-09 (ABC7)

Email from 6/24/09: Taylor to Trell : Insurers have refused to move on this. Huge amount of speculation in the media regarding artist's health. They feel if they're to consider providing illness to cover this particular artist, they must have very through medical report (ABC7)

Panish showed email from Gongaware to the insurance broker on June 24, 2009:
"Dr. Murray can comment on the availability of the records." (ABC7)

On June 25, 2009, at 5:54 a.m., London time, (that would be 24th june around 10pm LA time) Taylor sent an email to Dr. Conrad Murray, who had been brought onto the tour to tend to Jackson. The email, introduced as evidence in the case, read:

“The insurers have specifically requested information on the following:

Press reports on the artist at various times using a wheelchair, and whether any of these occasions were as a result of a medical issue.
Press reports that the artist had, or has, suffered a back injury.
Press reports that the artist is suffering, or has previously suffered from lupus.
Press reports that the artist is suffering, or has previously suffered from cancer.
Press reports that the artist was hospitalized in 2005.
Dates and brief details of any cosmetic procedures, and specific details of any complications.
Press reports that the artist has suffered from lung infection/emphysema and chronic gastrointestinal bleeding.
Press reports that the artist has minimal diet (is possibly anorexic).”

On 6/25/09 the insurance broker wrote to Dr. Murray at 12:54:15 pm, probably London time (approximately 5 to 5am LA time): Email: We are dealing with a matter of great importance and your urgent attention would be greatly appreciated. The email talked about getting MJ's medical records.

Murray's answer (from Murray trial)
SM states that the iPhone reflects that Murray responded to Bob Taylor in the UK on 6/25/09 at 11:17 am, and the body states "Dear Bob, I am in receipt of your email. I spoke with Mr. Jackson and requested release of his medical records in order for you to procure a cancellation policy for his show, however the request was denied. I therefore request that AEG consult with kindly with Mr. Jackson for its relevance because he is under the impression that he is already secured in the US. As far as the statements published by the press, let me say they're all fallacious to the best of my knowledge. Sincerely, Conrad Murray"

25th June 09

Email from 6/25/09: Gongaware to Taylor : "If we don't get sickness coverage, we are dropping this policy" (ABC7)
Email from 6/25/09: Taylor to Gongaware : The consultation in London is critical. The doctor is holding the afternoon of the 6th July open at Harley St. But keep in mind the visit could take 2 hours plus (ABC7)

After Michael's death

Another email was from Phillips after MJ’s death which said “Conrad is nuts. Remind me to tell you about his visits (redaction – strip clubs) the week MJ died.” (AP)

On Jun 25, 2009 Gabriel Sutter (a tech guy) wrote Gongaware a condolences email. "It was such an incredible shock to go through that experience," Gongaware explained. Gongaware's response on July 5, 2009: I was working on the Elvis tour when he died so I kind of knew what to expect. Still, quite a shock.(ABC7

Email from 6/30/09 from Randy Phillips to Holland: "This is from Karen Faye who did MJ's hair and makeup. She bought three wigs for use in the tour and one of them is going to be used for his final rest.” (ABC7) He was copied in on a message. “Pay it immediately,” Phillips wrote in an email. “Do not stiff any vendors.” (AP)

July 9, 2009, email to music coordinator JoAnn Tominaga, Gongaware wrote, “We are ok with the band, singers and dancers doing interviews now. The only thing we ask is that they keep it positive and stress that MJ was active, engaged and not the emaciated person some want to paint him as being.” Answering questions from Jackson family attorney Brian Panish, Gongaware said he was not trying to control the film’s message. “We’re asking them to keep it positive,” he said.(LATimes)

Email on 7/16/09 from Phillips:
We all were worried about MJ's weight which was 130 Ibs during rehearsal and encouraged him to eat properly since he was so obsessed w/ the creative on the show he would either meals or forget to eat. Kenny Ortega used to personally feed him and I hired a person to be his "food" person. (ABC7

ivy;3843047 said:
stashbrenda_zps88046064.png

Email on 8/4/09 from Phillips: “Michael’s death is a terrible tragedy, but life must go on. AEG will make a fortune from merch sales, ticket retention, ..“the touring exhibition, and the film/dvd. I still wish he was here!”

In a later email, Phillips stated that profits from the sales would go to Jackson's mother, children and charities.

“Make sure we take out the shots of MJ in that red leather jacket at the sound stage where the mini-movies were being filmed,” AEG Live president and co-chief executive Randy Phillips wrote in Aug. 9 email. “He looks way too think (sic) and skeletal.”

"This guy was willing to leave his practice for a very large sum of money, so we hired him," Phillips said. Panish also showed jurors an e-mail between AEG lawyers suggesting that Phillips told other interviewers AEG Live "hired" Murray. (CNN)

On 8/18/09 Phillips wrote email to Michael Roth: I think I know what MJ died of and this would exonerate Conrad.
Phillips had written an email to an AEG spokesman on Aug. 18 after Murray released a videotaped statement.

Email from Kathy Jorrie to Bruce Black and Michael Roth on 8/25/09:
Subject: AEG Live president says AEG Live hired Dr. Conrad Murray (ABC7)

Date unknown

Email from Ortega to Gongaware: "He has been slow at grabbing hold of the work" (ABC7)

mail from the band leader Michael Bearden: "MJ is not in shape enough yet to sing this stuff live and dance at the same time," Bearden wrote. "He can use the ballads to sing live and get his stamina back up, Once he's healthy enough and have more strength I Have full confidence he can sing the majority of the show live. His voice sounds amazing right now, he needs to build it back up. I still need all big dance numbers to be in the system so we can concentrate on choreography." (CNN)

ABC7 Court News ‏@ABC7Courts 9m
Phillips email after meeting at MJ's house: doctor was fantastic and I think Kenny's hysteria will be in check once MJ was alert/attentive

The fact that the press conference even happened is a miracle," Phillips wrote to Jackson's manager.

Before concluding his questioning Panish asked Phillips about emails he exchanged with music executive Irving Azoff. In one of the emails, Phillips asked Azoff the “odds” of Jackson making it through 50 concerts at London’s O2 arena. Azoff’s replied that having insurance was key. “You are a genius on this one dude,” he wrote Phillips

The lawyer showed Phillips emails in which Kathy Jorrie, an attorney working for AEG, expressed doubt about Tohme. She said she was concerned and whether he was “the real McCoy.” She also recommended a background check on Tohme. and/or at a minimum, that someone at AEG Live meet with Michael Jackson to make sure he understands that we are entering into a tour agreement with him that will require him to perform a worldwide tour….

Phillips said he thought Tohme did a "phenomenal job" for Jackson. "He is a good guy who has done miracles for MJ, just not a manager," he wrote in an email. (LAtimes)

Putnam showed an email that Phillips sent to Jackson’s assistant, Michael Amir Williams, arranging a meeting to discuss various deals. Topic included the purchase of Neverland, settling a lawsuit over Jackson memorabilia and a perfume deal.

Last edited:
Back