ALL IN YOUR NAME by Barry Gibb (Bee Gees) & Michael Jackson ...

mandelas

Proud Member
Similar the three Songs with Freddie Mecury, which never published (but should coming soon promised Brian May), are there a wonderful song duet between Barry Gibb: ALL IN YOUR NAME

(Sorry! Maybe this was finish posted here, but I can`t find it.
All the SEARCH & ADVANCED SEARCH -functions here at the forum
runs "not good".)

Here the official video:

And here a Fan-Video with some nice photos
an subtitled in espanol:

What do you think about that???

It`s sad. All are died. Only Barry is "staying alive"...

I first found the song kinda boring, but it'll grow on you for every listen. Barry and Mike worked very well together, not the least as a song writing duo.

I love Michael's look in this clip, and the way he folds his paper over the top of the stand, heh. Anyway, I play this song at work, and I find myself listening for the part where Michael's soaring voice comes in after Barry's soft intro. I've seen Barry in a few documentaries - he's a good guy:)

To continue where I left off up-thread:

Those kind of ever-evolving melodies are a trademark of Barry’s, and I haven’t really heard the like of it anywhere else. A prominent example would be “How Deep is Your Love?” – listen to how the melody evolves from verse to chorus and back to verse again; continously raising, with a progressive urgency. It’s really something!

Having said that, this very quality can make it harder to “fall” for a song on first or even several early listenings. There are a healthy amount of songs by the Bee Gees that required me to listen to them more than ten times before I was hooked. Even with a song like “You Win Again”—with a hook of sorts in its mechanical drums and as such present from the very start and all throughout the song—I had to listen to it several times before I started to appreciate it, and even more times before starting to love it.

I believe that songs that are like that, have a tendency to eventually be stronger songs compared to songs that’ll instantly hook you. A rule with countless exceptions, of course, but something I have noticed in regards to the Bee Gees and more specifically Barry’s songwriting.

Having said that, this very quality can make it harder to “fall” for a song on first or even several early listenings. There are a healthy amount of songs by the Bee Gees that required me to listen to them more than ten times before I was hooked. Even with a song like “You Win Again”—with a hook of sorts in its mechanical drums and as such present from the very start and all throughout the song—I had to listen to it several times before I started to appreciate it, and even more times before starting to love it.
Interesting. I loved "you win again" right from the start. It is my fave BG's song together with "nights on broadway". I can't explain why that is, musically or lyrically it isn't all that interesting to me but the melody and voices together me it sound special to me.
I wish I had more musical backdrop or expertise to explain why I love certain songs.

Interesting. I loved "you win again" right from the start. It is my fave BG's song together with "nights on broadway". I can't explain why that is, musically or lyrically it isn't all that interesting to me but the melody and voices together me it sound special to me.
I wish I had more musical backdrop or expertise to explain why I love certain songs.
Well, yours truly is obsessing with music theory, but there are so many things that just can’t easily be explained. Why do certain songs resonate with me, and others do not – those kind of questions are generally hard to answer!

The Gibbs lacked a proper musical education, but they evolved their own unique sound from early on. One could even argue (and I’d say, rightfully so!), that the many sounds of the Gibbs wouldn’t have been the same if they had a formal musicology education. The parallel fifths and all that “jazz” – doesn’t really matter as long as it sounds good, does it? The same thing goes for the Beatles (McCartney’s inclination to resolve 7ths upwards comes to mind).

Well, yours truly is obsessing with music theory, but there are so many things that just can’t easily be explained. Why do certain songs resonate with me, and others do not – those kind of questions are generally hard to answer!
I already had a hunch you were a musical intellectual. I envy that a bit but not enough to start studying ;)
The entire creating process of music is very interesting. When I listen to multitracks by MJ on YouTube there is so much added musically but I don't understand why. In the final mix many sounds get drowned. I sometimes wonder if a song would sound all that different if a couple of accents get taken off the mix (for example a repeating beat box line)

The Gibbs lacked a proper musical education, but they evolved their own unique sound from early on. One could even argue (and I’d say, rightfully so!), that the many sounds of the Gibbs wouldn’t have been the same if they had a formal musicology education.
So many artists seemingly never had a proper musical education?
The parallel fifths and all that “jazz” – doesn’t really matter as long as it sounds good, does it?
Yes. I don't know what you're talking about but I agree lol
I never use the word genius when describing a song or an artist because I don't know if what I love so much is all that special to begin with. It just has to sound good in my head.

Whats so special about his early 40s?
Usually vocalists begin to see their age catch up to them once their 40s hit. Some can still sustain themselves, but more often than not there’s a palpable change. Yet MJ still had an astonishing youthfulness and range. His voice in tracks like “All in Your Name” and “Best of Joy” don’t sound all that different from the Dangerous era (and even parts of the Bad era).

f&m, have you checked out 1960's / early 1970's Bee Gees?

Last edited:
@zinniabooklover yeah i’m familiar with the early hits, they were played regularly in our household. Just the hits though don’t think I know any of their albums. I remember their 1993 comeback well with paying the price of love. That song got massive airplay on the radio then.

Usually, vocalists begin to see their age catch up to them once their 40’s hit. Some can still sustain themselves, but more often than not there’s a palpable change. Yet, MJ still had an astonishing youthfulness and range. His voice in tracks like “All in Your Name” and “Best of Joy” don’t sound all that different from the “Dangerous” era (and, even parts of the “BAD”era).
I completely agree with you, @AlwaysThere. However, you could go back even further than the “Off the Wall” era, for that matter.* (*I’m specifically talking about the transition from, or the period of time going towards the turn of, the end of the Jackson brothers’ “Motown” era as an intact whole group, around 1974-’76, when Michael was still in his teens and was about to have finished going through his puberty stage —— just before and after Jermaine’s decision to stay with their soon-to-be former label and youngest brother Randy officially taking Jermaine’s place when the rest of them left to go sign up with another label —— as Michael’s voice was pretty much set to have been the way it basically would remain for the rest of his life at that point, except for a slight downward expansion of his Lower Register by about one note, as he went into middle-age.)

Also, even from his Early- and Mid-40’s on up to nearly 51, the voice was still “young”-sounding and the Vocal Range was as wide and flexible as ever. The vocal parts Michael sang on “All in Your Name” are solid evidence and PROOF that he NEVER “lost” his voice. Far from his having “lost” it, though. . . .It sounded just good as, maybe even better than, it already had, even when he tried to “save” it in rehearsal (and, his band members kept on trying to get him to “SSAANNGGG,” or to “sing out,” while in rehearsal, though he declined to do so). There would have been no reason for him to have worn out his body and his voice nor to have wasted his energy on performing songs in rehearsal as if he were already onstage in front of an audience, just because of some people’s unreasonable expectations of what they wanted from him. He was being overworked enough, such as that was. What is your opinion?

Last edited:
To continue where I left off up-thread:

Those kind of ever-evolving melodies are a trademark of Barry’s, and I haven’t really heard the like of it anywhere else. A prominent example would be “How Deep is Your Love?” – listen to how the melody evolves from verse to chorus and back to verse again; continously raising, with a progressive urgency. It’s really something!
For some reason 'Best of Joy' feels it could be a Bee Gees' song to me, despite the modern instrumentation; especially the part 'You are the sun that lights up the sky, When things are shady, Let come what may we do get by' after the build up!

For some reason 'Best of Joy' feels it could be a Bee Gees' song to me, despite the modern instrumentation; especially the part 'You are the sun that lights up the sky, When things are shady, Let come what may we do get by' after the build up!
You’re absolutely right! Gee, I’ve never made that connection.

now i wish they got barry and robin in to do harmonies on best of joy lmfao, beegees have always been a guilty pleasure for me, love Man in the Middle, Omega Man and You Win Again lmao

now i wish they got barry and robin in to do harmonies on best of joy lmfao, beegees have always been a guilty pleasure for me, love Man in the Middle, Omega Man and You Win Again lmao
Don’t forget about Maurice! But I agree, would have loved that.

Best of joy is a 2002 song? That's what this was all in response too, where someone said the bridge sounded like something the beegees would have written.

Best of joy is a 2002 song? That's what this was all in response too, where someone said the bridge sounded like something the beegees would have written.
My bad. I'm getting my wires crossed. You absolutely *did* say BOJ.

Well, there’s The Toy. Not a lot changed musically from that recording.

I think the convos gotten a little confused, I was on about this post here, and how I wished the estate got Robin and Barry in to do some work on the song, I wasn't talking about all in your name.

Back