Alternative 80s timeline

filmandmusic

Proud Member
I just can't get over it, there was so much good material that ultimately got forgotten because he only released 2 albums. There is no going back of course and maybe he needed some time to recover from the juggernaut that Thriller was but we can speculate and dream that things went differently in another universe.

So Thriller got released in 1982 and Bad in late 1987. 5 years is a long time, long enough for the hype to die out which kind of happened, kids had moved on, the music landscape had changed. Hair metal and New Jack Swing were the new hot things and Michael completely missed the opportunity to ride on the wave of synth pop.

In my opinion a 1984 album could have been released with songs that failed to make Thriller because imo they're absolute bangers. Of course Thriller was still selling truckloads so it would never have happened but if thriller sold normal amounts maybe an album in 1984 could have been released. This would be my tracklist:
TITLE: Behind The Mask
1 Sunset Driver
2 Hot Street
3 Carousel
4 Nite Line
5 Got The Hots
6 Who Do You Know
7 Behind The Mask
8 She's Trouble
9 Nighttime Lover
10 Someone In The Dark

Is this as good as Thriller? Hell no but this is on par with Off the Wall imo and I adore that album. Obviously this meant Victory got ditched...

On to 1986 when another album would see the light of day. This album is very hypothetical as half the tracks maybe don't even exist but I have a hunch they do.
This is what I had in mind:
TITLE: Another Part Of Me
1 Chicago 1945
2 We Are Here To Change The World
3 Dream Away
4 Scared Of The Moon
5 Eaten Alive
6 Centipede
7 The Hurt
8 Another Part Of Me
9 Be Not Always
10 Buffalo Bill (We don't know this one but it gets hyped up a lot, could be another masterpiece and is likely pretty finished)

Most tracks here are written or co written by Michael so I assume ( but mostly HOPE) that he recorded his own solo versions of those.

Bad would then get its release in 1989 and Street Walker would take Another Part of Me's place as it probably fits the harder edge sound of the bad album better while APOF has that great synth pop sound of the mid 80s.

Which is the most interesting hypothetical album for you?

Back