Amateur vocal leaks from This Is It rehearsals

Sony have over 100 hours of footage in the vault. Expect to see some more in the future someday.
Only if it gets leaked. I don't see them doing anything with this is it ever again. They barely did anything for Thriller 40 & let's not forget the 10yr anniversary to this is it🙄

Only if it gets leaked. I don't see them doing anything with this is it ever again. They barely did anything for Thriller 40 & let's not forget the 10yr anniversary to this is it🙄
this is what Sony lawyers said during 2011 when they didn't want deleted scenes for This is it used in the Conrad Murray Trial
"a Sony honcho also submitted a declaration which says the videos "have a high monetary value inherent in their potential for future uses. Those uses include one or more 'anniversary editions"

I watched This is It and I was amazed by Michael Jackson's talent and passion. He was a true legend and a genius. He put so much effort and creativity into his rehearsals, and he was always striving for perfection. He had a vision for his show, and he wanted to give his fans the best experience possible. He was also very kind and respectful to his crew and dancers. He was a leader and a mentor. He was not only a great performer, but also a great human being. This is It is a tribute to his legacy and a glimpse into his final moments. It is a must-watch for any fan of Michael Jackson. He will always be the King of Pop
Welcome back.

The first video is from June 18th 2009 filmed outside the forum I believe.
There is still a number of hours of MJ during rehearsal that are unreleased. Despite the issues it would still be intriguing in the future to watch as it is one of candid looks at his creative process.
The first video is a couple dates edited together, but yes - majority is from June 18th, 2009. You're good.

That clip from The Way You Make Me Feel was always one of my favourites.

I remember being SO excited listening to it. SO excited. Weeks away from rocking with Mike front row.. such a shame.
hold up u were gonna actually see the show live? dude thats freakin sick
i only became a fan right after he died when they played all his stuff on tv, lil middle school me
thats crazy to me theres oldheads in here that were fans when he was alive and were gonna see him 😳

According to certain press reports back then, these 100 hours of the 'This Is It' footage were also meant for future releases of live albums.

Randy Phillips specifically spoke about 2 live albums:

"We have enough audio to make 2 live albums, and he's never done a live album" (Randy Phillips, 2009)

Also, the fact that the Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor stated (right after watching these 100 hours of footage) that there was absolutely nothing in those materials that could have been of assistance to the Conrad Murray's legal defence seems to suggest that Sony and AEG Live (during the rehearsals) they turned off their cameras or they deleted the scenes when Michael Jackson was in a very bad health.

According to certain press reports back then, these 100 hours of the 'This Is It' footage were also meant for future releases of live albums.

Randy Phillips specifically spoke about 2 live albums:

"We have enough audio to make 2 live albums, and he's never done a live album" (Randy Phillips, 2009)

Also, the fact that the Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor stated (right after watching these 100 hours of footage) that there was absolutely nothing in those materials that could have been of assistance to the Conrad Murray's legal defence seems to suggest that Sony and AEG Live (during the rehearsals) they turned off their cameras or they deleted the scenes when Michael Jackson was in a very bad health.
Of all the things in the vault, what I’d like to see and hear more of is the This Is It Footage. The idea that a decade and a half later we haven’t gotten anything further on this is very disappointing. Hopefully there is a stellar performance from TII they have in the vault that they are saving to end the Biopic on or something. On the MJ website, in the Q&A they talk about the Estate having planned to release a 10th anniversary of TII but LN and Covid ruined those plans, I wonder if they had anything in extra in those plans or it was just the same old cut.

Of all the things in the vault, what I’d like to see and hear more of is the This Is It Footage. The idea that a decade and a half later we haven’t gotten anything further on this is very disappointing. Hopefully there is a stellar performance from TII they have in the vault that they are saving to end the Biopic on or something. On the MJ website, in the Q&A they talk about the Estate having planned to release a 10th anniversary of TII but LN and Covid ruined those plans, I wonder if they had anything in extra in those plans or it was just the same old cut.
Same - I think it would have been an extended documentary made for TV initially with new interviews and footage from TII. Maybe the estate will use it later. On the bright side the more they save , the more they can use in the future. Look out for 2029 or 2034, 20th or 25th anniversaries.

This is it 15
With :
Off the wall medley rehearsal
Dangerous rehearsal
Will you be there rehearsal
Heal the world rehearsal
We are the world rehearsal
Dirty Diana rehearsal
You are not Alone rehearsal
Stranger in moscow rehearsal
IJCSLY June 23 rehearsal
Earth Song video clip

Its what we want

What Estate will give us :
One new rehearsal and an exclusive 30 minutes Kenny Ortega interview :p😋

Given the choppy nature of the editing of This Is It, I doubt there is a lot more usable footage in the vault. I think they used the best performances they had to hand

Given the choppy nature of the editing of This Is It, I doubt there is a lot more usable footage in the vault. I think they used the best performances they had to hand
I do agree with this to a degree but it's also important to remember they had to stick to a 2 1/2 hr runtime for the film, they cut whole verses out of songs (Beat it) and trimmed down songs to fit in the interviews and the behind the scenes footage, there's definitely more footage, but the degree to which its up to MJ's usual performance standards is the mystery. If I recall correctly here's what I think could be added in a 2-part doc, realistically if they put it ons streaming:

Will you be there - (it was ran twice I believe in the forum)
Heal the world - (was also ran twice, and they *may have* ran the number on the 24th but i don't think MJ was on stage
We are the world - (was rehearsed on the 23rd or some day at the staples center so it could be included)
Dirty Diana - (was ran twice with MJ but from what I heard MJ barely sang outside of a falsetto for most of the runs of that number)
IJCSLY - was rehearsed on the 23rd, and the 19th(?) so they totally could mix those dates in
all the new videos could be shown in full
MITM - the full thing could be shown this time around, I don't think it was run any other time with MJ on stage
SC - the lean was rehearsed on the 23rd, they could show that
BI - the second verse was cut from the film, it could be used
TWYMMF - we know he sang it live in those forum rehearsals and didn't sound terrible, so those vocals could be used
Earth Song - dub with the actual studio "what about us" vocals instead of a demo if he wasn't singing out

Not sure about:
You are not Alone rehearsal - I think we only have one day for this so I can't speak to this one
Stranger in moscow rehearsal - same here, we have those 2-second clips but outside of that not much else
DSTYGE/RWY - (from the same day that Beat it/IJCSLY and Thriller is from, and I think the 23rd)
Dangerous - (has to be a mix of footage bc apparently he wasn't keeping up with the dancers for most of the runs of this number aside from the 24th where I heard he was more on top of it by then)

They also have footage of those early rehearsals in the soundstage, I heard MJ actually showed up to those early rehearsals a lot more, so there might be more there.

I do agree with this to a degree but it's also important to remember they had to stick to a 2 1/2 hr runtime for the film, they cut whole verses out of songs (Beat it) and trimmed down songs to fit in the interviews and the behind the scenes footage, there's definitely more footage, but the degree to which its up to MJ's usual performance standards is the mystery. If I recall correctly here's what I think could be added in a 2-part doc, realistically if they put it ons streaming:

Will you be there - (it was ran twice I believe in the forum)
Heal the world - (was also ran twice, and they *may have* ran the number on the 24th but i don't think MJ was on stage
We are the world - (was rehearsed on the 23rd or some day at the staples center so it could be included)
Dirty Diana - (was ran twice with MJ but from what I heard MJ barely sang outside of a falsetto for most of the runs of that number)
IJCSLY - was rehearsed on the 23rd, and the 19th(?) so they totally could mix those dates in
all the new videos could be shown in full
MITM - the full thing could be shown this time around, I don't think it was run any other time with MJ on stage
SC - the lean was rehearsed on the 23rd, they could show that
BI - the second verse was cut from the film, it could be used
TWYMMF - we know he sang it live in those forum rehearsals and didn't sound terrible, so those vocals could be used
Earth Song - dub with the actual studio "what about us" vocals instead of a demo if he wasn't singing out

Not sure about:
You are not Alone rehearsal - I think we only have one day for this so I can't speak to this one
Stranger in moscow rehearsal - same here, we have those 2-second clips but outside of that not much else
DSTYGE/RWY - (from the same day that Beat it/IJCSLY and Thriller is from, and I think the 23rd)
Dangerous - (has to be a mix of footage bc apparently he wasn't keeping up with the dancers for most of the runs of this number aside from the 24th where I heard he was more on top of it by then)

They also have footage of those early rehearsals in the soundstage, I heard MJ actually showed up to those early rehearsals a lot more, so there might be more there.
Thanks for the information. Do you know somebody from the rehearsals or is it research? I think there is a lot more from 23/24 they could show. Rock with you was rehearsed on 23rd 24th from court documents from 2011. Dirty Diana was rehearsed on 23rd I believe

I wonder why they didn't show the Lean in This Is It? Even it wasn't rehearsed during Smooth Criminal, they could have showed it being rehearsed like they did with the Toaster before Jam
Weird they held that back if it was rehearsed

I wonder why they didn't show the Lean in This Is It? Even it wasn't rehearsed during Smooth Criminal, they could have showed it being rehearsed like they did with the Toaster before Jam
Weird they held that back if it was rehearsed
Maybe to save bits for the future ?

When people say they rehearsed We Are The World what do they mean? In previous concerts the melody played but it was never performed, are you guys saying he was going to sing We Are The World at TII?

When people say they rehearsed We Are The World what do they mean? In previous concerts the melody played but it was never performed, are you guys saying he was going to sing We Are The World at TII?
We are the world in This is it = the way they did for the memorial :
MJ was not supposed to sing. But a beautiful moment which highlights the back singers

I don't remember who, but somebody involved in the rehearsals have said, after the release in theaters and before the DVD/Blu ray release, there are a beautiful Stranger in moscow rehearsal and it will be include as extra in the DVD.
I think it was Randy Philipps

Edit : i also remember in 2009 end of spring, when the film was created, it was said a Dangerous rehearsal was considered for the film. With the photos released and the 2 seconds clip in the trailer of the Dangerous rehearsals, it seems serious!

Last edited:
Maybe to save bits for the future ?
That's fair enough mate, but I can't wrap my head around the idea when they chopped and edited so much of the film. It's only IJCSL, Billie Jean and MITM that show a complete performance, the rest are plucked from 2 sometimes 3 different rehearsal days.

I don't think they left lots of great bits in the vault for a This Is It 2 (This Is Also It) I think they tried to pluck every great moment from all the hours of rehearsal and put into the film.

Thanks for the information. Do you know somebody from the rehearsals or is it research? I think there is a lot more from 23/24 they could show. Rock with you was rehearsed on 23rd 24th from court documents from 2011. Dirty Diana was rehearsed on 23rd I believe
nah I just been around on these forums/community for 10+ years, i just remember all this stuff lmao.

But yeah if you go off of either setlist thats been leaked, RWY woulda been rehearsed on the 23rd. I don't know if by that point it was just one song or if it was part of a medley with DSTYGE, but yeah it woulda been rehearsed on the 23rd, so was DD, and Dangerous

That's fair enough mate, but I can't wrap my head around the idea when they chopped and edited so much of the film. It's only IJCSL, Billie Jean and MITM that show a complete performance, the rest are plucked from 2 sometimes 3 different rehearsal days.

I don't think they left lots of great bits in the vault for a This Is It 2 (This Is Also It) I think they tried to pluck every great moment from all the hours of rehearsal and put into the film.
there's two sides to this: one side thinks there could be an entire new cut of the film, and the other thinks theres little to nothing left. I think its somewhere in the middle where for the songs we got in the film, we got the best of (save for a few bits that were cut such as BI second verse, SC lean, and the first half of MITM, etc..) whereas for the songs we didn't get, that's where the mystery is and might be more footage than we expect.

but really who knows, to some, one full run-thru of a song may be seen as "not much" despite it being a complete run-thru, and to others thats a lot.

Back