Andrew Lloyd Webber: 'Michael Jackson wanted to appear in Phantom of the Opera'

Michael was bursting with energy and ideas. Many of his projects never even took off, I knew that even when I was young. I remember me thinking this won’t happen and that won’t happen lol

You’re saying MJ has been drawn into comic books @zinniabooklover ?

Michael was bursting with energy and ideas. Many of his projects never even took off, I knew that even when I was young. I remember me thinking this won’t happen and that won’t happen lol
I agree. He had ideas pouring out of him just as he seemed to have songs pouring out of him.

You’re saying MJ has been drawn into comic books @zinniabooklover ?
Yeah. I was searching online - can't remember what for - and came across info re two comics, one based around Captain EO and one based on Moonwalker. Did a bit more digging, came across an old thread here on the board about Michael memorobilia (sp? - that looks seriously wrong, lol). Haven't looked at the whole thread - approx 34 pages - but the little bit I looked at was cute. In fact, I bumped it. Of course I did, lol. :D

Just went back online to try to find the info I found before - can't find it, obvs - but found this little YT unboxing vid instead:

also photos of the cover art for both of them:

DbJMKgeU0AAwSux.jpg:large

I also like the idea of Michael generating stories. He was a great storyteller - WBSS, HH / TPH, SOTM, We've Had Enough - and I love the idea that he could work on projects with other people to develop ideas. I'm sure I saw a quote from him once where he said he'd like to be in films but he'd be happy to be behind the camera. I find that idea more exciting.
@filmandmusic

Just listening to one of my fave Michael interviews (posted by @staywild23 originally). At 6m 50s he's asked about what he'd like to be doing in the later part of his career and he mentions directing, being behind the camera. I think this probably qualifies as Michael "expressing an interest in everything" as mentioned upthread, lol. But I still think it's an interesting quote. Wonderful interview as well.

He says developing other people, more behind the scenes stuff.
I suddenly saw him sitting in a “the voice” or “got talent” chair lol
I bet a whole lot of contestants would pick him as a coach if they we able to overcome their awe for him ofcourse.

I think he would be doing soundtracks as well. It would be all good as long as he wouldn’t be performing the Motown medley 😂

Acting was never Michael Jackson's strong suit.

The 'The Wiz' film (which was the most expensive film musical ever made at that time), not only it commercially flopped but also film critics did not like it at all, although Michael Jackson was in one of the lead roles.

Or, take his 'Moonwalker' film as another example: his fans watch it for the segments in which he sings and dances, not for the segments in which he acts.

Also, many of the singer's decisions (about portraying certain film characters) were rather laughable.

For example, his desire to portray the Spider-Man superhero character (in the '90s) did not make any sense at all.

Besides, his was too old at that time to portray such a superhero film character.

It appears that Michael Jackson used to publicly express his desire to star in certain films also because it was a way for him to remain always in the limelight (by, for example, having his name being talked about in the press).

It appears that Michael Jackson used to publicly express his desire to star in certain films also because it was a way for him to remain always in the limelight (by, for example, having his name being talked about in the press).
I don’t think there was a lack of Michael in the press throughout his life 🥸

He says developing other people, more behind the scenes stuff.
I suddenly saw him sitting in a “the voice” or “got talent” chair lol
Tbh, I would hate that. OK, maybe not 'hate' but it wouldn't make my day, if Michael had ever got involved in that type of tv thing. Not sure why but it just doesn't sit right with me.

I bet a whole lot of contestants would pick him as a coach if they we able to overcome their awe for him ofcourse.
It would be complete chaos but maybe entertaining for the viewer. They would either be completely frozen in shock or they'd be fighting each other. I still wouldn't want it, though.

I think he would be doing soundtracks as well. It would be all good as long as he wouldn’t be performing the Motown medley 😂
I def love the idea of him getting into soundtracks. Not everyone can do it but I'd love Michael to have had the chance to try that. He could even do the sound effects himself with his beatboxing. Can you imagine? I don't like horror stuff but I can imagine him doing spooky stuff with his beatboxing. Or cool dance stuff for other types of films. Loads of stuff, really.

Last edited:
Back