Any AOL (America Online) MJ Fan Chatroom Regulars circa early 2000's? lol

PurdyYungThang84

Guests
In the spirit of the MJIFC thread that was posted, I started thinking back on some of my first online interactions with other fans.

The world seemed soooo much bigger pre-Google lol. I remember writing Michael fanmail, ACTUAL HANDWRITTEN LETTERS lol, and mailing them to the MJJ Productions business office address because I had no idea of where to mail a letter to him lol. My parents didn't let me have penpals, but I knew I wanted to be involved with some sort of fanclub.

Then I finally got a computer and started to get my bearings in a still-fairly-young-internet; the fan scene exploded open before me like a new world. I was ELATED, and would rush home from school every day to scour the message boards and fan zines for the latest info, MJ pics, fanfics and personal fan stories. For the first time, you weren't at the mercy of the evening news or a phone call from a friend to hear if Michael would be anywhere close by. There was now an enormous, worldwide network of fans exchanging info every day.

Ahhh yes, these were the glory days of America Online and Yahoo. Before Twitter and Facebook, chatrooms, message boards and instant messengers were the way fans got connected. Particularly the AOL Michael Jackson Fan Chatroom. I literally met some of my best friends now, in that chatroom. It's strange to think how user names scrolling down a screen turned into actual personal relationships.

Never before could you be in contact instantaneously with fans from all over the planet, and communicate with them in real time (outside of a telephone of course lol). The AOL MJ fan chatroom was my online "home" until I was urged by a group of fans to join a then MJJF (which evolved to be MJJCommunity)! I think all of the chatrooms have since been shut down, but they'll always have a special place in my heart. It was an INCREDIBLE time to be an MJ fan, everything felt so exciting and magical. :heart:

Anyways lol, all of this reminiscing made me wonder, did any of you frequent that chatroom? My screenames were "Mirage8402" and "PurdyYungThang84" (after my first account got hacked). Share your AOL MJ Fan chatroom user name so we can all reconnect, or just share some of your favorite ol' school online fan memories! :D

Gosh, indeed golden memories :blush:

I'm afraid I'm not an AOL buddy here. I was still at home in 2000 and you know how fussy parents are hey :smilerolleyes: I guess, I once or twice popped into a chatroom at MJFC but as internet was paid by the hour. It was 'do the important stuff and get off the net' :scratch:It's unbelievable how quick net access changed hey!

I do remember writing to MJJC Productions too :cheeky: and I had about 25 pen pals from all over the world :wub:
You know life sometimes get in the way, hey and I lost all my pen pals but good thing there is FB cause I gained one again from back in the good ole' days indeed.

So, when I set out to live on my own in 2001. The first thing I did was join as many fanclubs as possible. MJNI, MJFC, MJNO and finally MJJF (the NOW MJJCommunity :heart: )
So, yes, It's sad to see them all go down the drain and but luckily I always had 'back up' from the MJ family :wub:

So, good to read about the HIStory of Michaeling. I loved fanzines and MJ events cause then you had the RIGHT news straight from the source and of course, I loved to go see Michael :wub: too. All that is HIStory now :blush: :cry:

Ooo yep! I was there A LOT! Lol! I'm sure I only remember a few names from that chat but the fun I had was very memorable. :D

I was Dreamdancer829 at the time. Fun times.
Every now and then I still check the chat to see if anyone is there, but not surprising, it's always empty.

Back