Are there still some so called “ hidden gems” left in the vault?

“Chicago 1945” has gotten a ton of praise from those who have heard it. Same with “Buffalo Bill” and “I Have This Dream.”
Is there another version of I Have This Dream out there that's more complete? There was an instrumental that leaked a while ago that had no vocals except for some backing vocals during what appears to be the chorus.

Is there another version of I Have This Dream out there that's more complete? There was an instrumental that leaked a while ago that had no vocals except for some backing vocals during what appears to be the chorus.
Pretty sure the leak is fake.

John Barnes spoke rather favorably about it. It seems to be finished.

Chicago 1945
Buffalo Bill
What You Do To Me
Make or Break
Tomboy
Crack Kills
The Future
I'm Dreamin'

Last edited:
I’m not sure why Chicago 1945 gets mentioned so often. I read numerous times ( please don’t ask for sources I don’t have any lol) that it was a good song but weaker than the 2 other Porcaro songs Michael recorded. So calling it a hidden gem is maybe somewhat overdone?

I’m not sure why Chicago 1945 gets mentioned so often. I read numerous times ( please don’t ask for sources I don’t have any lol) that it was a good song but weaker than the 2 other Porcaro songs Michael recorded. So calling it a hidden gem is maybe somewhat overdone?

Maybe because it is guaranteed to be finished and of some interest since it was considered for Xscape album and mentioned on official website.

From the Chicago (She Was Lovin' Me) page on michaeljackson.com:
not to be confused with Jackson’s unreleased Bad session recording “Chicago 1945”
(Was it also considered for Bad?)

And from michael-jackson.fandom wiki:
Porcaro was approached by the estate about using it on Xscape, but declined to give permission on the basis that the song didn't need any "contemporizing", and that he disapproves of the estate's "straight to remix" approach to Michael's unreleased material.
That's like guaranteed it's complete. (Oh and then it should be mentioned in your other thread: https://www.mjjcommunity.com/thread...t-missed-out-on-inclusion-on-an-album.200987/ because, it just missed out.)

Last edited:
I know it does not exist - but my all time dream would be a vocally complete version of People of the World. So sad MJ unly say a few vwords in the verses - but the chourus is perfect. The melody, the harmonies. - If he had finished it it could easily be up there with Man in the Mirror IMO:

So sad he never made a finished solo version. - Without a doubt the unreleased song I have heard the most times. - We are talking 1000s !! :)

I know it does not exist - but my all time dream would be a vocally complete version of People of the World. So sad MJ unly say a few vwords in the verses - but the chourus is perfect. The melody, the harmonies. - If he had finished it it could easily be up there with Man in the Mirror IMO:

So sad he never made a finished solo version. - Without a doubt the unreleased song I have heard the most times. - We are talking 1000s !! :)
That song is a masterpiece and can be replayed infinitely. Even in its 60% completed state (my personal estimation). It's up there with the all time greats for sure.

Would love to hear Eaten Alive Solo, Joy Solo, Alright Now Solo, Why (if he recorded solo would die to hear that one!, What More Can I Give (solo) in great quality would be nice too, and i have to say, songs like a place with no name is an amazing song, maybe there are more unknown songs like that in the vault?

Does anyone know if Off the Wall era version of Little Susie exists? I would love to hear LS with Off The Wall vocals.

b70Y2VhD_o.png

Pretty sure the leak is fake.

John Barnes spoke rather favorably about it. It seems to be finished.
IIRC That leak was not a fake because it wasn’t a leak to start with. It was used as a “template” beat in a contest for other people to write their own version of the song and the winner would get featured on the song. That was back in 2002/2003. I may be mixing some stuff up but I’m fairly certain of this and that it is the real deal.

I have no idea whether this exists but would love to hear an MJ only version of "Why" (the one he did with 3T).
A recording engineer whom I spoke to, who worked on this song, told me MJ never recorded a solo version, just did his lines and then left the studio.

IIRC That leak was not a fake because it wasn’t a leak to start with. It was used as a “template” beat in a contest for other people to write their own version of the song and the winner would get featured on the song. That was back in 2002/2003. I may be mixing some stuff up but I’m fairly certain of this and that it is the real deal.
You’re right! I was thinking of the 2005 charity single “I Have This Dream,” not the one that was subject to the writing competition. Weird that MJ would use that song title twice.

Dang, part of me would love to hear the OTW-era version of Little Susie. It's one one of my favorite MJ songs and I had no idea it went that far back! Of course I know Michael would often work a long time on songs, but still. Interesting how little the music apparently changed during all that time. Shows that even back then, Michael already had some grand ideas for songs.

Back