Are you kidding me?!

Richard76

Heartbreaker
Country
Russia
Michael Jackson's live performances will always be one of the controversal parts, that people will discuss again and again. But there is one thing about live performaces, that I still can't understand. Why Michael never performed during tours his 5 really strong songs. Yes, I'm talking about The Lady In My Life, Liberian Girl, Remember The Time, Morphine and Whatever Happens...
Okay, with Whatever Happens everything is pretty clear: song did not become, what it had to become, because of problems with Invincible album....That's why MJ did not see any perpsective to perform it during 2001 anyversary or This Is It tour. But what about legendary Remember The Time??!! First of all, this song is a SINGLE. Secondly, it has it's own MINI FILM. Thirdly, and most importantly, it had it's own CHOREOGRAPHY! What the actual f...???!! This song was really popular during Dangerous Era! Moreover, there are a lot of fans, considering this song as one of the best MJ songs! I am the one of people, who truly believe that Remember The Time is the MJ's best song! Song is perfect. MJ knew that. He rehearsed it during Dangerous Tour rehearsals! He performed it during small 1993 performance, when his leg was broken. But what happend then? I mean, why he denied to perform it during Dangerous Tour? Moreover, there was History tour, a lot of performances during Invincible Era, This Is It tour and still RTT have never been included.... Why!? I mean, this is insanity! Every MJ album gave to the world songs, that become MJ classic. OFT gave us DSTYGE, RWY, OFT. Thriller gave us BJ, Thriller, WBSS, Beat It. Bad gave us SC, MIM, APOM. Dangerous gave us HTW, BOW, RTT... I remind you, that MJ was awarded many times because of this particular song... And then MJ just throw away RTT song, like it was nothing...? I don't belive it. There gotta be something with rights... or maybe label forced him to reject this song....
Same thing about brillian Liberian Girl. It's a single with promo video. But again, no live performences! NO LIVE PERFOMACES?? Is it a joke??? Perfect song with enromous ponential for live performances. And everything throwed away... like a trash....
And what about Morphine?? MJ rehearsed it and planned to perform live.... And again, without any logical explanation denied to perform it?!
The Lady In My Life other precious MJ ballad. Yep it's not a single, but song won a lot of awards, just like RTT. It's one of the best MJ song. Still, no live performances....
I know, maybe the reason behind all of this is lack of popularity of these song... But i really doubt, that song like Jam (which was performed on all Dangerous Tour and included in TII) was more popular than RTT or LG....
-Living-With-Michael-Jackson-love-you-my-angel-michael-jackson-16120014-895-604.jpg

I mean technically RTT was performed live but his leg was still healing up. Yea he didn't dance but he still sung it live, in front of people and got a few awards for that performance

Michael Jackson's live performances will always be one of the controversal parts, that people will discuss again and again. But there is one thing about live performaces, that I still can't understand. Why Michael never performed during tours his 5 really strong songs. Yes, I'm talking about The Lady In My Life, Liberian Girl, Remember The Time, Morphine and Whatever Happens...
Okay, with Whatever Happens everything is pretty clear: song did not become, what it had to become, because of problems with Invincible album....That's why MJ did not see any perpsective to perform it during 2001 anyversary or This Is It tour. But what about legendary Remember The Time??!! First of all, this song is a SINGLE. Secondly, it has it's own MINI FILM. Thirdly, and most importantly, it had it's own CHOREOGRAPHY! What the actual f...???!! This song was really popular during Dangerous Era! Moreover, there are a lot of fans, considering this song as one of the best MJ songs! I am the one of people, who truly believe that Remember The Time is the MJ's best song! Song is perfect. MJ knew that. He rehearsed it during Dangerous Tour rehearsals! He performed it during small 1993 performance, when his leg was broken. But what happend then? I mean, why he denied to perform it during Dangerous Tour? Moreover, there was History tour, a lot of performances during Invincible Era, This Is It tour and still RTT have never been included.... Why!? I mean, this is insanity! Every MJ album gave to the world songs, that become MJ classic. OFT gave us DSTYGE, RWY, OFT. Thriller gave us BJ, Thriller, WBSS, Beat It. Bad gave us SC, MIM, APOM. Dangerous gave us HTW, BOW, RTT... I remind you, that MJ was awarded many times because of this particular song... And then MJ just throw away RTT song, like it was nothing...? I don't belive it. There gotta be something with rights... or maybe label forced him to reject this song....
Same thing about brillian Liberian Girl. It's a single with promo video. But again, no live performences! NO LIVE PERFOMACES?? Is it a joke??? Perfect song with enromous ponential for live performances. And everything throwed away... like a trash....
And what about Morphine?? MJ rehearsed it and planned to perform live.... And again, without any logical explanation denied to perform it?!
The Lady In My Life other precious MJ ballad. Yep it's not a single, but song won a lot of awards, just like RTT. It's one of the best MJ song. Still, no live performances....
I know, maybe the reason behind all of this is lack of popularity of these song... But i really doubt, that song like Jam (which was performed on all Dangerous Tour and included in TII) was more popular than RTT or LG....
-Living-With-Michael-Jackson-love-you-my-angel-michael-jackson-16120014-895-604.jpg
he's so beautiful.

I mean technically RTT was performed live but his leg was still healing up. Yea he didn't dance but he still sung it live, in front of people and got a few awards for that performance
I would be the last person to care about live singing, I prefer that he decided to focus concerts on dancing. BUT, I don't think he was singing live at the RTT performance while sitting in the chair. This did baffle me, but I assume some other circumstances behind that decision.

Michael was first and foremost a very insecure man, if it didn’t feel right, he bailed out of it. If he couldn’t even perform TLIML in the studio without the lights on then how on earth would he be able to perform it in front of 80 000 people…

This sounds like nonsense even to me! There are also many other songs that he did not perform! How on earth are we concluding that he was not "able" to perform. what nonsense.

This sounds like nonsense even to me! There are also many other songs that he did not perform! How on earth are we concluding that he was not "able" to perform. what nonsense.
Once he was asked to do speed demon live because the band had rehearsed it. Michael replied he didn’t have a choreo for it so he didn’t want to do it. A sign of insecurity to me. Even with extensive rehearsing he still wouldn’t do certain songs like RTT, morphine, be bot always, state of shock etc

Michael was first and foremost a very insecure man, if it didn’t feel right, he bailed out of it. If he couldn’t even perform TLIML in the studio without the lights on then how on earth would he be able to perform it in front of 80 000 people…
But he performed SIOOML! TLIML and SIOOML are very similar song. The only difference that TLIML is much better, but still MJ chosed to perform SIOOML...

Any other songs have the good and logical reason not to be performed. But these 5 songs.... They weren't performed without any proper reason...

Once he was asked to do speed demon live because the band had rehearsed it. Michael replied he didn’t have a choreo for it so he didn’t want to do it. A sign of insecurity to me. Even with extensive rehearsing he still wouldn’t do certain songs like RTT, morphine, be bot always, state of shock etc
He didn't have choreo for SIM, YANA, but still he performed these songs...

I would be the last person to care about live singing, I prefer that he decided to focus concerts on dancing. BUT, I don't think he was singing live at the RTT performance while sitting in the chair. This did baffle me, but I assume some other circumstances behind that decision.
Lip-syncing was inexcusable on his part for the slow songs (like, 'You Are Not Alone') where he did not have to dance at all.
Note that certain songs are too personal (for an artist) to perform them in front of a big audience.

For example, 'Morphine' being one of his most personal songs (and with a very sad theme) can explain his inability to perform it in front of a big audience during the HIStory Tour.
Where did he rehearse morphine ? I only know they rehearsed 2 Bad at HWT rehearsals.
It appears that it was just a band rehearsal without Michael Jackson.

Lip-syncing was inexcusable on his part for the slow songs (like, 'You Are Not Alone') where he did not have to dance at all.

Note that certain songs are too personal (for an artist) to perform them in front of a big audience.

For example, 'Morphine' being one of his most personal songs (and with a very sad theme) can explain his inability to perform it in front of a big audience during the HIStory Tour.

It appears that it was just a band rehearsal without Michael Jackson.
Okay. I can agree that Morphine is too personal to be performed. But what about RTT? He rehearsed this song. He planned to perform it. What made him change his mind?

Okay. I can agree that Morphine is too personal to be performed. But what about RTT? He rehearsed this song. He planned to perform it. What made him change his mind?
He eventually changed his mind due to his apparent fear that he would twist his ankle.

A twisted ankle would have been a very negative thing for him because that would have led to cancellations of his Dangerous concerts.

Note that he twisted his ankle very badly while rehearsing that song for the 1993 Soul Train Awards performance.

Michael always had the lights off while recording.

Back