[Article/Book chapter] Damien Schields about Xscape

Hiker

MJJC Staff
Staff member
Donations
$20.00
Country
Switzerland
Apologies if this has been shared before, I just came across this today. As fans we sometimes get too entangled in Michael's personal life and getting over all the negativity. This article reminded me to focus on Michael the musical genius, the artist ahead of his times and all the people who loved him and the people he inspired. It is so much bigger than everything else. As a fan, I want to keep celebrating this aspect of his life more.

I have never read this article before, this was absolutely lovely! It really goes into the creative processes that shows a lot of craft and care, and Michael's perfectionism, Rodney Jerkins really valued their friendship and collaborative partnership as well, that's hard to see or find nowadays. Wonderful find dear! 🥰

Apologies if this has been shared before, I just came across this today. As fans we sometimes get too entangled in Michael's personal life and getting over all the negativity. This article reminded me to focus on Michael the musical genius, the artist ahead of his times and all the people who loved him and the people he inspired. It is so much bigger than everything else. As a fan, I want to keep celebrating this aspect of his life more.
Yeah, it's good stuff, this. I need to re-read it, thanks for the reminder.

Have you checked out the mj101series.com? It's different to the Damian Shields stuff. Andy Healy is a fan who does ebooks and makes them available free online. It's just him reviewing Michael's songs and videos but I like them. Although, tbh, I mainly used to go to them for all the lovely photos. Now that I have lots of other options re images of Michael I haven't been looking at the 101 stuff so often. But they are very nicely designed, he does them like an actual book so they look good on screen.

Also, have you checked out Brad Sundberg's 7 songs 7 stories? In 2020 he did a series of interviews with various studio techs or songwriters who worked with Michael - Brad Buxer, Michael Prince, Matt Forger etc. If you haven't already seen them I can highly recommend them. I wouldn't start with the Michael Boddicker one but all the others are fab. Some are 30 mins, some are an hour. Listening to people who actually worked with Michael, I never get bored.

Do one of these books mention anything about why MJ never finished "Fall Again"?

Do one of these books mention anything about why MJ never finished "Fall Again"?
Don't think the mj101 books do. As I said, it's quite a while since I last looked at them and, confession, I mostly looked at the images cos Andy Healy has a fab selection of photos included. But it's just a fan reviewing Michael's albums and videos. He's not talking to anyone Michael worked with, unlike Damian, or doing any kind of heavy duty deconstruction. He's a graphic designer, IIRC, so the quality of the ebooks is lovely. They look amazing. But, no, he's not delving into demos and unreleased stuff or anything like that.

The Damian stuff, I've only looked at what he has online. Haven't read the full book. And it was ages ago. I would need to check re Fall Again. You'd be quicker just looking for yourself, lol.

Also, have you checked out Brad Sundberg's 7 songs 7 stories? In 2020 he did a series of interviews with various studio techs or songwriters who worked with Michael - Brad Buxer, Michael Prince, Matt Forger etc. If you haven't already seen them I can highly recommend them. I wouldn't start with the Michael Boddicker one but all the others are fab. Some are 30 mins, some are an hour. Listening to people who actually worked with Michael, I never get bored.
I have seen some of Brad S's videos. Reading about Michael and how great he was first hand from people who worked with him brings more sadness than happiness at this point. So I am keeping these for later. Event he article above I could not finish. I reading Moonwalk at the moment.

I have seen some of Brad S's videos. Reading about Michael and how great he was first hand from people who worked with him brings more sadness than happiness at this point. So I am keeping these for later. Event he article above I could not finish. I reading Moonwalk at the moment.
Oh, I am so sorry. I hadn't even considered that. We are all at such different stages plus we all have our own levels of what we can cope with at a particular time and what will feel difficult or too emotional.

And there are definitely emotional moments in some of these interviews. It really isn't straightforward. That mj101 series I mentioned, I did like them but, ngl, I did go in more for the lovely photos than for anything the guy had to say. I'm able to cope with different stuff on different days and you can't always predict how it's gonna go. The 7 stories interviews, I was gripped by most of them but I can see how it could be a bit much.

Moonwalk is a good place to be. Very therapeutic. Warm and comforting. I'm gonna read it for the 2nd time this weekend. I am so looking forward to it.

That mj101 series I mentioned, I did like them but, ngl, I did go in more for the lovely photos
Oh, yes I am going to check it out for the photos. I have created this reading list and watch list of things I want to get back to when I know I can handle them.

OMG! That mj101series is amazing! I read few pages from Top 20 Performances, and wow! The pictures yes, but also it is so well written. I love reading about his performance and videos. Its the personal stuff that gets me because it reminds me the unfairness of this world and how he deserved so much better. Thanks for the mj101series link though! Just linking one here -

OMG! That mj101series is amazing! I read few pages from Top 20 Performances, and wow! The pictures yes, but also it is so well written. I love reading about his performance and videos. Its the personal stuff that gets me because it reminds me the unfairness of this world and how he deserved so much better. Thanks for the mj101series link though! Just linking one here -
Yep, Andy Healy has got skills. That Top 20 one is my fave so far; at any rate, it's the one I've looked at the most.

So glad you enjoyed it.

I may be getting it confused with another song, but iirc MJ wanted changes made to the track and they were never made so he didn't finish it. Something to do with key changes or something. Someone else who can describe it more clearly can chime in.

Back