Atheist thread

Re: Athesit Thread (For non-believers only)

Oh yeah, definitely, you have to watch out for all religions when it comes to an aspiration for power and control over people's lives. In Christianity the irony is that there is not such an order in the Bible that you have to Christianize your state. Usually the reasoning for an aspiration at having control in politics or the public sphere by Christian churches is that "God will punish the nation if we let sin prevail". And of course they are very selective about what "sin" matters and what doesn't - usually it's homosexuality and abortion that are singled out (when abortion isn't even mentioned in the Bible.) But you won't have them fight so vehemently against, say, corruption. Oh sure it's gay people who will ruin a nation not suffocating corruption. Oh and they don't have such a problem with heterosexual "sins". Sure, especially in evangelical churches you will have them preach against those too, but still you do not see churches in the public sphere attack cheaters, divorced people, people who have sex outside of marriage etc. so much as they attack gays. Obviously because they don't want to go against a big majority of society. They will just bully the minorities and otherwise vulnerable people - the easy targets. Let alone the irony of churches having such a hung-up about homosexuality when they cannot solve the pedophilia problem within their own ranks.

As for Biblical family values. This video sums it up.

But they are supposedly the light of the world that should protect our morals. LOL.

It reminded of Mrs. Betty Bowers, America's Best Christian explaining a traditional biblical marriage. :lol:

Talking about abortions: "The lord isn't technically pro choice because it never occurs to him to give you one." "Don't confuse God with Santa. He only bothers to check if you're naughty or nice AFTER he's killed you."?

So, I don't know where "pro-life" people got the urge to save fetuses if god himself had no regards for them in the first place.

Last edited:

KOPV

Proud Member

^ I'll like to add not only is there picking and choosing of what is considered 'sin' depending on individual lifestyles.. It's layering of 'sin' by some magical meter of importance..

Example how many Christians say that homosexuality is "AN OBOMINATION".. How horrible right? Abomination is a BIG word!!

Now eating "unclean things" is also an abomination.. Along with re=marrying someone you divorced, cheating on spouse, wearing clothes of the opposite sex (mind you women did not wear pants 2000 years ago) , refusing to hear the law, Pride... freaking Pride is an 'abomination'..

next time someone acts prideful I'M Picketing.. haha! "YOU'RE ARE DOING ABOMINAL ACTS"

KOPV

Proud Member

Yess.. I watched this when it aired and I'll just say, good for her!!!

LindavG

Proud Member

Since we were talking about the far-right earlier in this thread, I thought I'd share the prognosis of the Dutch elections that were held today. The final result will be known tomorrow morning as all ballots are counted by hand. Turnout was 81% compared to 75% in 2012.

VVD: 31
PvdA: 9
PVV: 19
CDA: 19
D66: 19
SP: 14
GroenLinks: 16
SGP: 3
PvdD: 5
ChristenUnie: 6
50Plus: 4
Denk: 3
Forum voor Democratie: 2

The PVV is Wilders' party. I was nervous all day but I'm relieved about the result. It was already clear that Wilders wouldn't be part of any coalition but it's still good to know that he only got 13% of the vote, even if that makes him the second, third or fourth largest party in our fractured political system :p

^Does that mean the far right didn't win and Muslims won't be deported?

About Leah Remini's show, Scientology and the Aftermarth, I was left in disbelief the difference there is treatment to average Scientologists and celebrities who are in; the Sea Org members are treated like slaves and celebs don't care about the punishments they're sumitted even though some of them are/were aware of. The policy of disconection against people who leave the organization is hearbraking. They were part of a dangerous cult.

LindavG

Proud Member

^Does that mean the far right didn't win and Muslims won't be deported?

Well, the PVV still jumped from 10% to 13% of the vote so they did win a few extra seats but they were nowhere near winning the election. And there were other parties with a very progressive, pro-European message (like GL and D66) which gained far more seats. There was never any chance of the PVV being in government since the other parties had already ruled out working with them, although for some reason most international media omitted this from their reporting. The media were also obsessed with Wilders' more extreme comments like closing mosques, banning Muslims and outlawing the Quran, when these things are obviously unconstitutional and would never be approved by Parliament. Wilders himself admitted these comments were merely symbolic although I have no doubt he would put them into practice if he could.

I just feel relieved that this odious man was rejected by the overwhelming majority of my country and we can go back to business as usual. And whatever the next government will be, it is sure to be reliably pro-European, which is important at a time when Russia and Turkey are becoming more agressive.

@ Respect77, speaking of Erdogan, this never gets old (turn on subtitles) :p

[youtube]R2e2yHjc_mc[/youtube]

The man is indeed nuts but he has large support among the Turkish diaspora. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually wins the referendum granting him more power.

I agree John is less complicit than Tom but it's mentioned in the Going Clear doc he knew his former friend Spanky Taylor (the person who introduced Scientology to Priscilla) was in The Hole but did nothing about it; it didn't specify the extent of his knowledge though. Perhaps they blackmailed him to use his deepest secrets against him if he leaves the cult (there are way too many rumors of John having affairs with men for example) but he has benefits staying in it, less than Tom, I bet but still.

Since I found out about the treatment The Sea Org members recieve and basically many of them are Tom's slaves, I have mixed feeling towards him. On one hand, I like many of his movies, he's a very talented actor, on the other as a person the fact he's ok the people working around him being exploited and abused, makes him absolutely despicable and contemptible. I know many of the former members rationalized the craziness and abuse they went through but after a while they snapped and couldn't take it anymore, Tom could single-handedly end Scientology if he wanted to do the right thing. I wonder if he will ever say enough is enough.

^^Well played respect, well played! If fellow Scientologists themselves thought Tom went off his rocket taking into account the cult itself has batshit crazy beliefs, Cruise really lost his marbles and the media and the general public thought Michael was crazy. Someone has to have a colossal ego, to be out of their mind to attack a peer reviewed field of medicine that has proven its effectiveness treated various mental illnesses or disorders or anyone seeking psychiatric treatment without shred of evidence what they're talking about to think their so called religion is the answers to those illnesses just because the psychiatric association laughed at the claims of L. Ron Hubbard. If religions/cults are that detrimental to humankind, they must dissapear.

I'm still puzzled Brooke Shieldz went to Tom's wedding despite his vicious attack towards her because she took medications to treat her postpartum depression. I assume he invited her but if I were Brooke, I wouldn't have gone to his wedding.

Last edited:

KOPV

Proud Member

They really used Mission Impossible music in the background the entire Tom Cruise speech? hahaha! Makes for one long/bad trailer for the movies....

I truly believe political correctness has given Islam and Muslims a lot of pass on regressive and detrimental ideas and behaviors that shouldn't have s place in the 21st century. It's sad to see some western Muslim women don't take advantage of living in freer countries compared to women who live in places where Islam is a theocracy.

KOPV

Proud Member

One major thing that has kept many Islamic nations 'behind' is how much people were govern/how thick the clothe has been from what the rest of the world is really like.. (This is a deeper issue than political correctness). Now with the explosion of the internet - having people from islamic nations being able to peak outside it created an explosion of another sort. the uprisings, overthrowing of governments and secularization of cultures.. The progressive movement we will see within the next 30 years will be far more than the previous 30 years..

the 'explosion' I speak of did create other issues (ie no gvmt also means a free for all havoc).. but that's another discussion

This documentary about Intelligent Design being on trial is awesome. Evolution swept the floor with ID in a Court and ID's supporters were unable to prove that ID was a legit scientific theory.

It looks quite interesting, I promise to check it out later. It reminded me of this video of Neil DeGrasse Tyson sweeping the floor in short with ID. :lol:

For a Muslim and human rights activist is a talking contradiction and full of shit. Islam in general doesn't advocate for human rights, nor does a theocracy. How could she think a polar extremism of jihadists is secularism? Even moderate Muslims choose to be devout and refuse to see the flaws in the religion and to have an honest and open conversation with any Muslim reformist, not just Maajid Nawaz.

KOPV

Proud Member

^ And that's what happens when religion is man made! All has a perspective, agenda, and point of view from those behind the writing..

KOPV

Proud Member

Yes a man organized 2 of each type of animal, put them on a boat and as the whole earth flooded and they all survived and that is why we have living creatures still today.. (well aside from sea life cuz they didn't need to go on the boat right?

If only they had Noah to help build the Titanic, that sad event would have never happened.. They missed the mark, it was supposed to be wood, a huge wooden boat to fight off the worlds largest flood in history.. It wont mold, soften, rot, or damage through the constant rain.. Some scientist and mathematical genius Noah was.. Must have went to Yale! ;)

KOPV

Proud Member

I've enjoyed those vids.. especially the second, a little more 'hit home' feeling since she is from Libya! somewhere I called home once and is where my dad lives now.

KOPV

Proud Member

..Or how about how many "modern" religions have stories that were written with different dates, places, and names but are recycled.. Stories from Buddhist texts in the bible, or stories from Greek mythology in all Torah, Bible, Quran.. there are so many texts that are simply revamped and changed to fit cultural/political sense for the time.

Cele

Proud Member

Hello, I would like to introduce myself.... I've been on MJ forums in the past but it's been a while as well as some of them have been closed. Please feel free to reach out to me anytime. Much love. :ciao:
Cele

LindavG

Proud Member

My grandmother passed away last week :cry: She had metastatic breast cancer. My sister, brother and I were entrusted with arranging the cremation ceremony. My grandma comes from a very religious family (one of her sisters even became a nun) but she wanted nothing to do with religion herself so we created an entirely secular service. We asked people to tell personal stories about her, some funny, some sweet, some emotional. We played pop songs that she liked. We made a video collage of pictures of grandma through the years, from when she was a little girl in the 1930s until the day before she died. We wrote a poem for her. We surrounded her with all the flowers she loved. We made sure to have lots of fancy sandwiches and drinks afterwards because my grandma's biggest fear was people thinking she was cheap.

Afterwards, a lot of people came up to us and told us that this service was a lot more beautiful than the religious ones they had attended for some of my grandma's siblings. As I was organising my grandma's stuff today and found the program for her sister's funeral ceremony two months ago, I could see why. It was a 2-hour long church service and it was basically prayer - choir song - prayer - lighting candles - religious poem - choir song - prayer etc. My grandpa's service was the same way and I remember how disappointed I was. There was nothing personal about it at all. Those generic prayers and church songs didn't do justice to the person he was.

I really felt a sense of closure after my grandma's service and grateful that I was able to do this for her, that we hopefully left a final positive memory of her with the people who attended. I can't imagine feeling satisfied with a religious ceremony even if I were religious myself.

KOPV

Proud Member

^ LindavG, Sorry for your loss. I glad some closure came through the service and wish you the best!

Cele

Proud Member

I didn't realize it was LOL I just saw General Discussion.... so woops on my part.

My sincere condolences for the loss of your grandma, Linda. Although, I'm glad to hear you were able to do and being part of a service that celebrated her life, the person she was and the memories she left among her loved ones rather than a generic and repetitive religious service that would't have represented her as a human being. She must be one with the stars by now.

KOPV

Proud Member

People that fall for terrorist groups are people with that come from the same mentality as people who join gangs. That is what ISIS is.

KOPV

Proud Member

^ I am speaking of the mental drive to join a group like this.. Not speaking to the substance of! more so individuals need to be part of something bigger than themselves.. The point I am trying to make it is usually impressionable people that have a need to be part of a 'brotherhood', as deranged as it is.

Yes the motive of ISIS is very different than a street gang, but the mentality behind it - for those who partake in comes from a similar "need"..

Last edited: