Atheist thread

Re: Athesit Thread (For non-believers only)

One major thing that has kept many Islamic nations 'behind' is how much people were govern/how thick the clothe has been from what the rest of the world is really like.. (This is a deeper issue than political correctness). Now with the explosion of the internet - having people from islamic nations being able to peak outside it created an explosion of another sort. the uprisings, overthrowing of governments and secularization of cultures.. The progressive movement we will see within the next 30 years will be far more than the previous 30 years..

the 'explosion' I speak of did create other issues (ie no gvmt also means a free for all havoc).. but that's another discussion

This documentary about Intelligent Design being on trial is awesome. Evolution swept the floor with ID in a Court and ID's supporters were unable to prove that ID was a legit scientific theory.

It looks quite interesting, I promise to check it out later. It reminded me of this video of Neil DeGrasse Tyson sweeping the floor in short with ID. :lol:

For a Muslim and human rights activist is a talking contradiction and full of shit. Islam in general doesn't advocate for human rights, nor does a theocracy. How could she think a polar extremism of jihadists is secularism? Even moderate Muslims choose to be devout and refuse to see the flaws in the religion and to have an honest and open conversation with any Muslim reformist, not just Maajid Nawaz.

^ And that's what happens when religion is man made! All has a perspective, agenda, and point of view from those behind the writing..

Yes a man organized 2 of each type of animal, put them on a boat and as the whole earth flooded and they all survived and that is why we have living creatures still today.. (well aside from sea life cuz they didn't need to go on the boat right?

If only they had Noah to help build the Titanic, that sad event would have never happened.. They missed the mark, it was supposed to be wood, a huge wooden boat to fight off the worlds largest flood in history.. It wont mold, soften, rot, or damage through the constant rain.. Some scientist and mathematical genius Noah was.. Must have went to Yale! ;)

I've enjoyed those vids.. especially the second, a little more 'hit home' feeling since she is from Libya! somewhere I called home once and is where my dad lives now.

..Or how about how many "modern" religions have stories that were written with different dates, places, and names but are recycled.. Stories from Buddhist texts in the bible, or stories from Greek mythology in all Torah, Bible, Quran.. there are so many texts that are simply revamped and changed to fit cultural/political sense for the time.

Hello, I would like to introduce myself.... I've been on MJ forums in the past but it's been a while as well as some of them have been closed. Please feel free to reach out to me anytime. Much love. :ciao:
Cele

My grandmother passed away last week :cry: She had metastatic breast cancer. My sister, brother and I were entrusted with arranging the cremation ceremony. My grandma comes from a very religious family (one of her sisters even became a nun) but she wanted nothing to do with religion herself so we created an entirely secular service. We asked people to tell personal stories about her, some funny, some sweet, some emotional. We played pop songs that she liked. We made a video collage of pictures of grandma through the years, from when she was a little girl in the 1930s until the day before she died. We wrote a poem for her. We surrounded her with all the flowers she loved. We made sure to have lots of fancy sandwiches and drinks afterwards because my grandma's biggest fear was people thinking she was cheap.

Afterwards, a lot of people came up to us and told us that this service was a lot more beautiful than the religious ones they had attended for some of my grandma's siblings. As I was organising my grandma's stuff today and found the program for her sister's funeral ceremony two months ago, I could see why. It was a 2-hour long church service and it was basically prayer - choir song - prayer - lighting candles - religious poem - choir song - prayer etc. My grandpa's service was the same way and I remember how disappointed I was. There was nothing personal about it at all. Those generic prayers and church songs didn't do justice to the person he was.

I really felt a sense of closure after my grandma's service and grateful that I was able to do this for her, that we hopefully left a final positive memory of her with the people who attended. I can't imagine feeling satisfied with a religious ceremony even if I were religious myself.

^ LindavG, Sorry for your loss. I glad some closure came through the service and wish you the best!

I didn't realize it was LOL I just saw General Discussion.... so woops on my part.

My sincere condolences for the loss of your grandma, Linda. Although, I'm glad to hear you were able to do and being part of a service that celebrated her life, the person she was and the memories she left among her loved ones rather than a generic and repetitive religious service that would't have represented her as a human being. She must be one with the stars by now.

People that fall for terrorist groups are people with that come from the same mentality as people who join gangs. That is what ISIS is.

^ I am speaking of the mental drive to join a group like this.. Not speaking to the substance of! more so individuals need to be part of something bigger than themselves.. The point I am trying to make it is usually impressionable people that have a need to be part of a 'brotherhood', as deranged as it is.

Yes the motive of ISIS is very different than a street gang, but the mentality behind it - for those who partake in comes from a similar "need"..

Last edited:
Prepare yourselves to be disgusted by this woman's blantant attempt to diminish and make "fun of the dangers ex-Muslims face. They have to literally fight to survive because Islam has members that will kill you if they have the chance.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This is the White Hijabi version of &#39;behead the apostate.&#39; <br><br>If you can&#39;t decapitate them, assassinate their character. <a href="https://t.co/Y8eOoVKCWZ">pic.twitter.com/Y8eOoVKCWZ</a></p>&mdash; Lalo Dagach (@LaloDagach) <a href="https://twitter.com/LaloDagach/status/881572518208909313">July 2, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Newsflash for this so called comedienne, she's not funny to the slightest and what she did in that video was cruel to all those people who have nothing to gain from leaving Islam except pursuing their freedom if their lives are at stake. What a lame anti apostate propaganda.

So privileged western Muslim woman she is that she can speak freely and shutting down criticism at the same time.
DDyOgC4UMAA2J74

About the liberal mosque, that's a way to make progress getting rid of the bigotry, prejuce, misoginy and homophobia predominant in the Muslim world but fundamentalists still refuse to evolve. That's the reason why I agree with both Sarah Haider and Maajid Nawaz; in one hand, it'd be ideal to see more people getting rid of their dogmas since there is no evidence their religious beliefs are real and also religions have proved to be detrimental and retrograde for humankind but as we know, the majority refuse to let go their security blanket because they argue it gives them comfort and purpose. On the other, I agree with Maajid about challenging the perceptions, questionable and problematic aspects Islam and Muslims have advocating for a reformation.

On The Thinking Atheist podcast, I haven't listened to their episodes but I like their FB page, probably I should listen to it besides Sam Harris'. At least I can say I find Lucifer as a character very interesting and more often than not more likeable than Yahweh since he doesn't see to have knowledge as a bad thing unlike god, according to the Satanist principles, he doesn't require to be worshipped or believed in him unlike god. And contrary to the popular belief, Satan isn't the leading cause of death in the bible, unlike that genocidal, ethnic cleanser. If he killed those 10 people was because god told him to.

The Creationist point of view is so dumb that it's a piece of cake to make fun of! :lol:

Has anyone watched 'religulous'? it's pretty entertaining and good! I think many here would appreciate it

I've been an atheist for 14 years, I'm against all religions for the harm and backwardness they have caused to humankind in many aspects of our lives, the more atheists there are in the world the better for me but atheism is not on the rise yet, probably just in Europe. Catholicism is losing more power each day in Latin America but evangelical Christianity js gaining ground instead .

The reason I applaud Maajid's activism challenging the backwards, questionable parts of Islam advocating a reform is because people refuse to let go that blanket I spoke about, (I'm excluding the Muslim atheist in this, they have to live as Muslims to keep living) you said yourself they fight with tooth and nail to keep it because they think they don't have a purpose or direction. Christianity was this liberal embracing human rights and science as it is today, people declawed and left toothless the beast in the Catholic Church not having the same power and influence they had in the dark ages. Maybe they need to declaw the beast of theocracy in Islam too. If people are not willing to abandon it, it needs to evolve.

Great interview.

Indeed, Hell is the most powerful invention of both Christianity and Islam...

Funny, that he says the same thing I said above: that it is easier to show people why religion is nonsense altogether than to try to reform religions:

If you enjoy Armin's perspective, I can recommend the Secular Jihadists podcast which he started. It is co-hosted by Ali Rizvi, Faisal Saeed Al Mutar and Yasmine Mohammed.
https://soundcloud.com/secular-jihadists

Thanks for sharing Respect!

Why are the so called liberals so afraid to criticize Islam, Islamism, etc? Why do they continue to it a pass? I can't find a reasonable answer other than the ridiculous one of being afraid to be perceived as a racist, islamophobe. It's worrying that campuses are the ones shutting down critics of Islam because people are afraid to hurt Muslims' feelings.

I'm not a fan of Dave Rubin but Ayaan is spot on, the left has alliance with Islamists and it's depressing Dave had to hide their location for Ayaan's safety.

I listened to this podcast episode with Lalo Dagach interviewed Jennifer Sutton, an American, ex-Mormon, ex-Muslim and now atheist. She talked about growing up in an abusive and broken Mormon household and how that made her an easy prey to convert to Islam. What shocked me to hear is that she felr empowered wearing the hijab and full niqab the last 2 years she was a Muslim. The deal breaker was knowing about Aisha being married to Muhammad at the age of 6 because Muslims lie about her. https://soundcloud.com/lalodagachpodcast/ldp-010-jennifer-sutton-ex-mormon-and-ex-muslim

This is the reason why I freaked about Nike making a sports hijab, I don't understand why how women themselves have the nerve to say Islam is feminist, hijab is a choice and gives them empowerment, and discredit Ayaan Hirsi Ali as a true feminist mocking she suffered FGM. It's dowright Stockholm syndrome right there. https://soundcloud.com/lalodagachpodcast/ldp-004-ghada-leaving-saudi-arabia-and-islam

I know we often speak of the causes of terrorism with religious bases and some also bring up politics tied into religion.. But I never notice anyone mention drug trafficking, so I was wondering how many people are familiar with the ties of terrorism to drug trafficking - because there is a deep tie there that I think (while I am not trying to steer it away to ties into religion) doesn't ever get mentioned.

Some privileged Muslim women in the West could have said they chose to wear it but the likes of Linda Sarsour don't speak for the vast majority of them in the Muslim world even if she claims to do so. I find gross and outrageous the hijab's fetishism, even more if ot comes from Western women and men who have no affiliation to Islam. They&#8217;re celebrating a symbol of that religion and for many women and girls an imposition of such religion.

^ Many Muslim women wear it because it is tied into the culture just as much if not more than religious.. There are american born Muslims everywhere that wear a hijab.. And I'll say while it does not get spoken about and is not as extreme many Muslim men cover themselves up.. The traditional covering of a man shows only there head and feet and a large reason why men grow beards is to cover the face.

While it's not as 'severe', it is still conceptualized from the same root.. Today even in many (not all) many woman wear less covering if at all. BUT since it is such a cultural thing women will be found wearing them for years to come. many by choice, some by force.. Which the forced is what needs to end.

^ You are right about that, I was specifically speaking about the hijab used even outside of the fact.. Many Muslim women find them fashionable and beautiful. Go all out matching them with dresses, shoes or whatever.. when young girls grow up and see models on TV wearing it - it changes the scope of how they think of it as well.. You go to Libya, Tunisia, Morocco, and others right now and you will see a small percentage wearing old styling of covering (usually older) than you have adult women wearing hijabs in a fashionable way (which would be the largest percentage of woman) than you have woman that don't wear one at all.

This is more so the standard in Islamic countries than the extremes that we hear about (which does exist) but does not speak about a majority anymore.

^ I've never heard of anyone calling Islam as a feminist religion but I have heard of Islamic feminism & feminists.

Back