BAD Tour 1987 get's overlooked a lot

Well, this is the embarrassing thing. I actually LOVE the red top on him so it makes it even more ridiculous that I got myself in a muddle over 1987 / 1988. Some of my fave ever photos of Michael live are with the red top. There are two in particular that were always used in the UK press and which are burned into my brain, I love them so much. Both of the photos have him with his arm outstretched, you'll know the ones I mean.

I still prefer the black top but that's just a personal thing. He always looks so gorgeous in black. There's a melodramatic look to that black top that puts it on a whole other level, imo. And, although I moan about it, I kind of like the fact that he only wore the black top once. Kind of makes that first show even more special, iyswim.
They also made red version of the 88 shirt but he never wore it in concert:

c04a60da3ca5a8771ebf48cc8698ca04e26b4bf8.jpg

Are any of these 87 concerts online somewhere? I have seen Yokohama before way back in 2000 on tape ( I lost that tape) but you warmed me up to watch it again.
How many of those have leaked in full?
We also have Osaka 87 in even worse quality though. It's odd that we have so many 87 shows but 0 complete 88 shows aside from wembley.

The 1st concert had the best performances I've seen of WBSS, Human Nature, This Place Hotel & Beat It. It was also arguably Michael's apex as a performer. Although funnily enough he did say the worst thing for him to see was an opening show lol.

The 1st concert had the best performances I've seen of WBSS, Human Nature, This Place Hotel & Beat It. It was also arguably Michael's apex as a performer. Although funnily enough he did say the worst thing for him to see was an opening show lol.
Yes!!!!!!!!!! The first show - he's on FIRE 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥

Since I know some here have been digging content from the 87 leg, two new amateur audios were shared recently and they do sound pretty damn great.

Hope you get to listen to them so we can discuss them :)
oh man, this is fabulous! Usually avoid amateur recordings like the plague. Too annoying. Did a quick dip into both of these and they sound great. Especially Osaka. 😲 I'm mad for anything from Osaka.

Thanks so much for posting these. I'm looking forward to immersing myself in the whole thing. 🥰

Since I know some here have been digging content from the 87 leg, two new amateur audios were shared recently and they do sound pretty damn great.

Thanks for sharing it on the forum mate. Osaka was a great listen, the quality was great and Mike's vocals are really strong

I personally neglect it because of the extremely boring setlist. You start the bad tour and then play 2 bad tracks, I will never understand what is in MJ’s head. It was 3 years since his last tour and all he could come up with is the repeat of the Victory tour plus the 2 bad tracks and thriller.

I personally neglect it because of the extremely boring setlist. You start the bad tour and then play 2 bad tracks, I will never understand what is in MJ’s head. It was 3 years since his last tour and all he could come up with is the repeat of the Victory tour plus the 2 bad tracks and thriller.
Yes, because the tour started 3 weeks after the release of the album. The band and dancers would have hardly had enough time to rehearse the new songs and the audience would not have been all that familiar with them.

The two songs from Bad which he did sing were also the only ones which had been released as singles by that point.

I don't think it was MJ, but the label. They wanted MJ to promote the album asap (the tour started 2 weeks after Bad was released). There wasn't enough time to create a new show, so someone/everyone thought it'd make sense to just pick the Victory format/setlist and bring it to Japan, since Victory ended up being a NA-only tour. Australia dates were a bonus (there are some records that they were booked after the Asian leg started). So, for the label, it was still profitable to explore that market with the same show from 1984.

I don't think it was MJ, but the label. They wanted MJ to promote the album asap (the tour started 2 weeks after Bad was released). There wasn't enough time to create a new show, so someone/everyone thought it'd make sense to just pick the Victory format/setlist and bring it to Japan, since Victory ended up being a NA-only tour. Australia dates were a bonus (there are some records that they were booked after the Asian leg started). So, for the label, it was still profitable to explore that market with the same show from 1984.
Could just have well called it the belated thriller tour lol

I think the ‘87 leg is extraordinary in terms of vocals, but ultimately the lackluster set list prevents me from ever wanting to revisit it. Quite literally recycling the Victory tour setup and throwing two songs on the end? Pft.

I think the ‘87 leg is extraordinary in terms of vocals, but ultimately the lackluster set list prevents me from ever wanting to revisit it. Quite literally recycling the Victory tour setup and throwing two songs on the end? Pft.
I like it as I consider it Victory for that's how the tour should've happened: MJ solo.

Thank you soooo much for these!! I can't wait to check them out... for me every tour is exceptional and exciting for different reasons. But Bad will always have my heart. When I found a live CD for the 87 Yokohama show I lost my mind and played it obsessively. I also love all the footage I've seen from 87, even though I watch 88 more often. I love checking out all the Bad tour audio and footage. I've recently even been enjoying amateur video footage more than I ever expected to.

Anyway thank you for this!!

Thank you soooo much for these!! I can't wait to check them out... for me every tour is exceptional and exciting for different reasons. But Bad will always have my heart. When I found a live CD for the 87 Yokohama show I lost my mind and played it obsessively. I also love all the footage I've seen from 87, even though I watch 88 more often. I love checking out all the Bad tour audio and footage. I've recently even been enjoying amateur video footage more than I ever expected to.

Anyway thank you for this!!
I hope to create another Bad Tour monster like me 🤣

I may need to poison thy souls even more then 🤣
I'm already there with BWT 1987. It's 1988 where you'd have your work cut out (that's me, not @staywild23 - she is MAD for 1988). Thing is for me, Triumph and Destiny came along (blame @filmandmusic for that) and life was never the same. I've seen bits and bobs from 1988. Wembley for sure. Rome? Sounds about right. But '88 doesn't pull me in like BWT 1987 did or Triumph or Destiny.

So we'll have to see how it plays out. I can listen to a couple of OTW songs these days. Never thought that would happen, lol.

I'm already there with BWT 1987. It's 1988 where you'd have your work cut out (that's me, not @staywild23 - she is MAD for 1988). Thing is for me, Triumph and Destiny came along (blame @filmandmusic for that) and life was never the same. I've seen bits and bobs from 1988. Wembley for sure. Rome? Sounds about right. But '88 doesn't pull me in like BWT 1987 did or Triumph or Destiny.

So we'll have to see how it plays out. I can listen to a couple of OTW songs these days. Never thought that would happen, lol.
I have to give it up to Triumph. Although I'm a Bad Tour maniac, especially 88, Triumph is a whole different league. Thing is content from it is even more scarce than from 88.

But hey, check this out (in case you haven't already):

I have to give it up to Triumph. Although I'm a Bad Tour maniac, especially 88, Triumph is a whole different league. Thing is content from it is even more scarce than from 88.

But hey, check this out (in case you haven't already):
🧡 🧡 🧡 🧡 🧡 🧡 🧡 🧡 🧡

(I can keep this up all day, lol)

I'm 27 minutes in.... INCREDIBLE 😍

Back