Bad World Tour: US leg vs European leg

Rocketeer;4316327 said:
Remember we still can’t really confirm if MITM was potentially sung live in Kansas City. It could make sense to sing it live a couple of times before resorting to playback from there on out

I always thought that was the case but based on what we could hear from that little snippet of the last full dress rehearsal in pensacola before the American leg, it was playback (although he was singing live underneath the playback). This makes me believe that MITM was always meant to be half mimed/half live.

A show from the American portion would be my choice considering all the pointers in this thread, and especially because one in Europe has already been officially released. There is no full show not held in Europe or Asia available to watch. It would not do harm to see the ways those shows function in comparison to their European buddies, take for example Michael entering the stage for "Thriller" from that little walkway (I recall viewing a little clip of this somewhere on YouTube) instead of swinging in on a rope. These little differences really could be cool to see for a change.

(Hi it's been a while)

I'm curious of what was shot by MTV in Kansas & NY. Those songs from Kansas & NY sound like HQ soundboard audio. The Video is HQ Beta tape. So I would assume full releasable audio exists from those concerts even if it isn't multitrack. If that is the case, MSG 88 would be an iconic USA venue for release. DD was good enough for official release. Why not the rest?

The Dangerous rehearsal video of MITM is by far my favorite performance of the song - vocal wise.

I know he does not sing 100 %, I know it's just a rehearsal. But it still amazes me. It's still great.

Also, the backup vocals in early 1988 US concerts are completely live. In European leg, the backup vocalists sang live over the playback.

I'd love to see the American leg of the tour (preferably New York) with that being said I'm glad we got to see Wembley first, because the spectacle, the frenzy, the mania, was what the Bad Tour was all about

As a show it looks and sounds amazing. MJ's dancing is more spontaneous, in songs like APOM, which is great.
I think Mike was performing similar to how he performed in Japan to a degree, because the audience was smaller
The only thing I'm not keen on, is the shows that where "in the round", were MJ keeps going up that walkway round the back of the stage and the audience at the front can't really see him, I bet Michael didn't like that aspect of those shows

Honestly, I would much rather see the US BAD Tour. Vocals would be the main factor. I also heard that one of the earlier 88' concerts (probably the one from moonwalker) was shot on film. anyways, we already have a pro shot of wembley, and a few amateur recordings of concerts from the later European concerts. I think would be cool to see some of the earlier moves he may have changed from songs or maybe different adlibs.

Liverpool Aintree is an interesting one. I believe it was the biggest show of the whole Bad tour. Plus it included a Beatles medley.

Maybe a hybrid release that has every song from a different concert. Look at Pearl Jam's "Touring Band" DVD.

US because we already have Wembley.
This is the correct answer. Although really, it's still very similar to Wembley, so there would be more value in releasing a different tour altogether.

I don't see it there anymore.
Is the reason it's always better to buy a disc rather than stream.

Last edited:
There are more BAD Tour concerts shot on film in existence.

Colorist Warren Eagles (who worked on color corrections of the Wembley concert from the ‘BAD 25’ release) hinted that there is tons of such stuff, in 35mm and 16mm formats, stored in the archives.

Pretty much every show is the same, so there isn’t much of a difference.

There is a big difference between certain BAD Tour shows.

For example, the Japanese shows (1987) were very different and experimental (compared to the later shows) in terms of staging, costumes, outfits, set list, backing vocals, live singing, etc.

Remember we still can’t really confirm if MITM was potentially sung live in Kansas City. It could make sense to sing it live a couple of times before resorting to playback from there on out

Michael Jackson never sang ‘Man In The Mirror’ fully live in his entire career.

This was confirmed by choreographer and impersonator Anthony King who is a very reliable source due to his exclusive access to such information and unseen footage.

Tough choice. Vocally I'd choose US leg.
If we are talking about future concert releases then I'm choosing whatever was shot on film (wembley, Liverpool) then HQ US shows (New York, Minneapolis, Kansas). Hoping any of these shows are released one day.

One thing I love about the US leg is the breakdown during the adlibs of Man In The Mirror.
Listening to MSG 88, it just feels really special, like the audience is being taken to church, the music during the breakdown feels very sparse and gives Michael and the backing singers a moment to shine. I wish that would have continued throughout the tour

I don't think MJ ever sang MITM fully live, even during the US leg. And I'm not so sure if SC, TWYMMF and Bad were sung live at every US show either.

Every song except for a good portion of MITM was sang fully live for the first US leg. It was until the European tour that he started singing SC, TWYMMF, Bad started using playback for most of the song.

One thing I love about the US leg is the breakdown during the adlibs of Man In The Mirror.
Listening to MSG 88, it just feels really special, like the audience is being taken to church, the music during the breakdown feels very sparse and gives Michael and the backing singers a moment to shine. I wish that would have continued throughout the tour

Amen brother! Also the breakdown was a lot longer than it was later on the tour. MITM from the first US leg are by far my favorite MITM performances ever.

Back