Behind The Scenes rift about "HFITS"

MJJuniorSinceMW

Proud Member
Donations
$23.00
What follows is email traffic between Jesse Johnson (musician, guitarist) & Lauren Cardini (Vice Pres of Epic Publicity):

MICHAEL JACKSON featuring DANGELO + MARY J. BLIGE
"HOT FUN IN THE SUMMERTIME"

My opinion for what's its worth, they really made a mistake by not including this track on the album.
Hopefully some day it will see the light of day. Peace, Jesse

Lauren Ceradini wrote:

Guys who is Jesse Johnson who is tweeting about D'Angelo, Mary J and Questlove being on the album. Can we have this removed?

complex.com/music/2014/03/michael-jackson-xscape-album

Lauren Ceradini
Epic Records
Vice President, Publicity

(Jesse's email response to Lauren's email)

Hello Lauren,

May I ask you: "Who are you???? An employee at a Epic Records? JesseJohnson.com is some what who I am.

Lets see, who am I? I written a few "HIT SONGS", I'm Grammy nominated recording artist/producer, I've been instrumental in selling millions of
albums, and by the way; "I'm the guy that help to put this Michael & D'Angelo project together. Unbeknownst to me, I wasn't aware
that I was an employee (underling) of yours, nor was I aware that you possessed complete control over what I can and cannot say (I Thought
Slavery Was Abolished), but I guess indentured servitude is the tradition of the majors labels for which you serve and represent.
Please send me a company memo regarding guidelines to your company's civil rights laws, or better yet how they pertain to me. I can
already tell that you, LAUREN as an agent for EPIC RECORDS, could care less about us minions, but I did record and play all the guitars on this
track. (Right, I know, as if that matters to you or yours!)

Have a great day Lauren.

Respectfully,
Jesse Johnson (aka: Mr. NoOne or Nobody depending on the situation. (I am ok with either

(Lauren's response)
On Apr 5, 2014, at 7:11 AM, wrote:

Obviously it's not difficult to find out who I am since you were able to track me down. My job is to put out accurate information to the
public regarding projects on Epic Records. Unfortunately, you are putting out false information to the public regarding the new Michael
Jackson album Xscape. I'm sure it wasn't your intention to mislead the public on who was on the album however, that's why my job exists, to
accurately report to the public. Thanks for your understanding.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Jesse's response to Lauren's email:
April 5 2014 at 7:54am

What I Wrote Is 100% Accurate!
I didn't track you down, your email was forwarded to me by persons you sent it to inquiring about who am I!

As far as I'm concern, we did finish the song titled "Hot Fun In The Summertime" (Sly & The Family Stones's) for the release. Whether it
makes your release is not my concern. What I wrote is 100% accurate and factual non the less.

Respectfully,
Jesse Johnson

........................................radio silence..........................!

Dear Lovers of Fine Music,

The track is very, very nice. Too bad egos of the non-music making folks are what the decisions seem to be based on. Because D nor I
really jelled with the executive producer.

facebook.com/JesseJohnsonfan?fref=nf

He further commented:

Hopefully it will get leaked. I don't have a copy or I would have posted it right here and now! LovePeace, Jesse

((Could a mod please edit my Typo in the name of the thread. Thank You!))

Last edited:
Re: Behnind The Scenes rift about "HFITS"

They could have put it on the album as a 9th track. Don't know why they didn't. Hopefully it will get a release later.

He sounds deranged.

Thank God he hasn't got a copy of the song - so he can't leak it. That's the most important to me.
Hopefully we'll hear the song one day (maybe on a duets album or any future release).

Though i understand he is disappointed, that the track did not make the cut on the album.

IMO it's a LITTLE bummer that the LNFSG RMX is the bonus track. They just could have made the RMX, the B-side of the single release of LNFSG. I love the remix as i love the album version - that's not the problem.
It just would have been nice, if they had decided to put HFITS on the deluxe as a bonus.

But maybe this would have been to good to be true. And so we'll have one more song to look forward to in the future.

This Xscape release will be perfect none the less! John Mc Lain (always have to think about "Die Hard" when i write his name :D) did a wonderful job with his mix. And so did Timbaland with the RMX & JT. Both tracks are amazing & stay in the ear & just spread FEEL GOOD & LOVE & HAPPIENESS...

Hot Fun in the Summertime should never be released. At least not on a proper album.

I saw enough anger from fans over the news of the Timberlake remix to know that people don't want other artists to overshadow Michael. With JT, the job was well done, because he took a back seat on the project and let Michael take full vocals.

But Hot Fun in the Summertime? Michael only sings the first verse. The other two are by D'Angelo and Mary J. Blige. That's not even a Michael Jackson song anymore; it's a D'Angelo/Mary J. Blige collaboration featuring Michael Jackson.

If they want to release it on an album of their own, go right ahead. But that's less vocal time than Michael had on any other duet he's EVER done with another artist, no exaggeration.

I would suggest to not be as overdramatic.

If a song has 3 verses & each verse is performed by a different artist, it's simply a collaboration. And not anyone feat. anybody. I haven't listened to Sly version but i heard that this OG version is also performed by many different singers.
To wish that it'll never be released because MJ doesn't sing most of the song is just... overdramatic!
It's not that it's like a song from a certain "producer" called Eddie C..

There were great songs & duets before, without one singer having a major part.
What about WATW & WMCIG? What about other songs by other artists ('All for Love' by Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart & Sting comes to my mind...)???

I'm quite disappointed because of their decision not to include the track on the album, it sounded extremely exciting to me. Hopefully it finds its way out soon, either as a hidden track, a b-side or a bonus track on some edition of the album.

Last edited:

I'm quite disappointed because of their decision not include the track on the album, it sounded extremely exciting to me. Hopefully it finds its way out soon, either as a hidden track, a b-side or a bonus track on some edition of the album.

That track and 15 others. They considered 24 tracks for this album. The only reason we are talking about this track is because of what that guitarist posted on his FB page, something he wasn't allowed to do.

That track and 15 others. They considered 24 tracks for this album. The only reason we are talking about this track is because of what that guitarist posted on his FB page, something he wasn't allowed to do.

He isn't the only one who talked about, LA Reid's own son (which is also Xscape's A&R) had talked about it too in an interview a few days ago, a lot after Jesse Johnson did, so it was probably cut from the tracklist in "the last minute".

He isn't the only one who talked about, LA Reid's own son had talked about it too in an interview a few days ago, a lot after Jesse Johnson did, so it was probably cut from the tracklist in "the last minute".

Not true because the tracklist was finalized 1 month ago when the first listening party was, probably even before that. That son of LA probably just read it in the newspapers or newspapers put the words in his mouth.

Not true because the tracklist was finalized 1 month ago when the first listening party was, probably even before that. That son of LA probably just read it in the newspapers or newspapers put the words in his mouth.

We're talking about an album's A&R and the son of the executive producer of the album and the label's president - I guess that he knows "a few" more things about the album than all of us so he doesn't really need to tell them what he read in the newspaper.... I think that you should trust his words.

And the main tracklist was indeed finalized a month ago, but the bonus tracks weren't played to the attendees of the listening parties, so we don't really know about that.

I would suggest to not be as overdramatic.

If a song has 3 verses & each verse is performed by a different artist, it's simply a collaboration. And not anyone feat. anybody. I haven't listened to Sly version but i heard that this OG version is also performed by many different singers.
To wish that it'll never be released because MJ doesn't sing most of the song is just... overdramatic!
It's not that it's like a song from a certain "producer" called Eddie C..

There were great songs & duets before, without one singer having a major part.
What about WATW & WMCIG? What about other songs by other artists ('All for Love' by Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart & Sting comes to my mind...)???

Maybe "never released" is a stretch. But never release on a proper album.

How do we know that Michael intended Hot Fun to be recorded with anyone else? Moreover, how do we know Michael would have even wanted to collaborate with D'Angelo and Mary J. Blige? I've seen enough from some fans about not using artists Michael didn't work with in his lifetime.

Moreover, if a song is included on a Michael Jackson album (which WATW and WMCIG were not), the majority of vocals should be Michael's, quite obviously. I continue to see fans complain about how Akon is front and center for Hold My Hand.

Remember how angry fans were with the fact that Justin Timberlake was on a remix of Love Never Felt So Good. I saw many, many posts of fans concerned that he would overtake Michael on the remix and that his contribution would be reduced to very little. Yet some people were okay with the idea of Hot Fun being released, which features much less Michael? Doesn't make much sense to me.

If the estate wants to throw it on a compilation or give it to Blige/D'Angelo to release themselves, fine. But there are many more songs to be released by the estate that don't require other artists, and therefore, space shouldn't be wasted on an album where Michael would get 30 or 40 seconds of vocal time max.

Just my opinion, anyways.

We're talking about an album's A&R and the son of the executive producer of the album and the label's president - I guess that he knows "a few" more things about the album than all of us so he doesn't really need to tell them what he read in the newspaper.... I think that you should trust his words.

And the main tracklist was indeed finalized a month ago, but the bonus tracks weren't played to the attendees of the listening parties, so we don't really know about that.

Well the article said according to him Timberlake, Blidge are all guest-stars on the album but didn`t give a direct quote from him in the article regarding this matter.

Maybe "never released" is a stretch. But never release on a proper album.

How do we know that Michael intended Hot Fun to be recorded with anyone else? Moreover, how do we know Michael would have even wanted to collaborate with D'Angelo and Mary J. Blige? I've seen enough from some fans about not using artists Michael didn't work with in his lifetime.

Same questions can be asked about Timberlake, Timbaland, Stargate and many people on this recent album... Those questions will be there about ANY posthumus release. It's what it is.

Same questions can be asked about Timberlake, Timbaland, Stargate and many people on this recent album... Those questions will be there about ANY posthumus release. It's what it is.

Michael and Stargate met around 2008 and discussed collaborating together. There are photos of the three of them during such a meeting, and testimonials from others who spoke to Michael.

Michael spoke of his respect for Timberlake on numerous occasions, even at one point saying he was "inspired" by him. (Before anyone suggests anything, why would Michael pick Timberlake if he didn't mean what he said? There are many other artists out there today.) I'm sure the two would have collaborated together if Michael didn't pass. I'm actually pretty positive on that. And I'm sure Michael wouldn't have a problem with Timberlake featuring on a song.

Timbaland is the only one that is debatable. He highly respects Michael and apparently, Michael did want to work with him, but the two never met. Then again, it was the same situation with 50 Cent, so we can't entirely discredit it just yet.

The estate actually did pretty well abiding by Michael's wishes for collaborators: they were all people Michael stated he wanted to work with in his final years or did work with at some point. (of course Timbaland being the only questionable inclusion, as previously stated).

Maybe they will use this song as the bonus track for the Xscape vinyl?

Michael and Stargate met around 2008 and discussed collaborating together. There are photos of the three of them during such a meeting, and testimonials from others who spoke to Michael.

Michael spoke of his respect for Timberlake on numerous occasions, even at one point saying he was "inspired" by him. (Before anyone suggests anything, why would Michael pick Timberlake if he didn't mean what he said? There are many other artists out there today.) I'm sure the two would have collaborated together if Michael didn't pass. I'm actually pretty positive on that. And I'm sure Michael wouldn't have a problem with Timberlake featuring on a song.

Timbaland is the only one that is debatable. He highly respects Michael and apparently, Michael did want to work with him, but the two never met. Then again, it was the same situation with 50 Cent, so we can't entirely discredit it just yet.

The estate actually did pretty well abiding by Michael's wishes for collaborators: they were all people Michael stated he wanted to work with in his final years or did work with at some point. (of course Timbaland being the only questionable inclusion, as previously stated).

Like others said on the other thread, you are again presenting your own opinion as a fact - as something that MJ would have wanted, instead of what you want. Just because Michael once praised JT it does not mean he would have wanted to work with him. IIRC the context of that occasion when he said he was "inspired" by JT was that he was explicitely asked for his opinion about him - so it could have been just courtesy. He also said in the same breath he was inspired by Usher too (he was asked about them). Definitely no one can derive from such a comment that he would have definitely worked with him. That's a huge stretch. Fact is: no one knows.

To be clear: I have no problem with the collaboration on LNFSG or Xscape - it's the nature of posthumus releases that you will always have the question mark over them whether the artist would like it this way or not. As long as an artist is respected enough (eg. not someone like Bieber, Niki Minaj, Miley Cyrus etc.) and as long as it's someone who has not trashed MJ some time in the past calling him this or that, I can accept a "collaboration" like that. It's just to me it seems a bit hypocritical from you that you attack this MJB-D'Angelo-Questlove collaboration (without even hearing it) on the basis of MJ never working with them, while you are one of the most vocal supporters of the JT-Timbaland collaboration here. I don't know much about D'Angelo, but I do know that MJB and Queslove are massive fans. Just read this article by Questlove: http://www.okayplayer.com/news/uestlove-Remembers-The-Times-132-Michael-Jackson-Memories.html

Who knows what he said to them? Maybe he just said they all worked on the album, not that they will be on the album.

Also Hot Fun was never intended to be a bonus track. It was a candidate for main album, but didn't make the final cut - just as Joe Vogel said when Jesse posted his FB status.

Maybe they will use this song as the bonus track for the Xscape vinyl?

I think for now: This train has passed.

Maybe if the parties can get the hot air out of this in the future. But for now i think we won't hear 'HFITS' within the Xscape project.

IDK but something tells me that Jesse did a mistake when he told us about the song… IDK but it seems to me that he "killed" it himself. IMO HFITS had a chance to be on the album or be a bonus track until it was a surprise. And I have to say by all this drama Jesse doesn’t make himself a favor too.

It's odd. This is the first time I've ever heard of this song.

While I'm all for songs being released, if it didn't fit the album, it shouldn't be on it. Period.

Like others said on the other thread, you are again presenting your own opinion as a fact - as something that MJ would have wanted, instead of what you want. Just because Michael once praised JT it does not mean he would have wanted to work with him. IIRC the context of that occasion when he said he was "inspired" by JT was that he was explicitely asked for his opinion about him - so it could have been just courtesy. He also said in the same breath he was inspired by Usher too (he was asked about them). Definitely no one can derive from such a comment that he would have definitely worked with him. That's a huge stretch. Fact is: no one knows.

To be clear: I have no problem with the collaboration on LNFSG or Xscape - it's the nature of posthumus releases that you will always have the question mark over them whether the artist would like it this way or not. As long as an artist is respected enough (eg. not someone like Bieber, Niki Minaj, Miley Cyrus etc.) and as long as it's someone who has not trashed MJ some time in the past calling him this or that, I can accept a "collaboration" like that. It's just to me it seems a bit hypocritical from you that you attack this MJB-D'Angelo-Questlove collaboration (without even hearing it) on the basis of MJ never working with them, while you are one of the most vocal supporters of the JT-Timbaland collaboration here. I don't know much about D'Angelo, but I do know that MJB and Queslove are massive fans. Just read this article by Questlove: http://www.okayplayer.com/news/uestlove-Remembers-The-Times-132-Michael-Jackson-Memories.html

This one was not "presenting my opinion as fact". I said I'm pretty positive with the idea that they would have collaborated; I never said that they 100% would have.

But my main reason for being fine with JT is because Michael himself had, at the very least, complimented him before. Maybe that isn't a substantial argument, but Michael knew his music, may have liked it, and has stated as such. I've never heard of Michael speak of Mary J. Blige of D'Angelo at any point, nor has he attempted to work with them in the past, so he easily could not have liked their music. Just because someone is a massive fan of Michael does not mean that they deserve to be on his music. With that logic, the estate should have released the Justin Bieber remix of Slave to the Rhythm.

Of course you could make that argument about JT, and it would make sense. But all I'm saying is that Michael was aware of him, and he said he enjoyed him (whether or not he was specifically asked about it is unseen, but for now, I'm believing him). Never said that about Questlove or Mary or D'Angelo or anyone involved with Hot Fun.

But my main reason for being fine with JT is because Michael himself had, at the very least, complimented him before. Maybe that isn't a substantial argument, but Michael knew his music, may have liked it, and has stated as such. I've never heard of Michael speak of Mary J. Blige of D'Angelo at any point, nor has he attempted to work with them in the past, so he easily could not have liked their music.

Of course you could make that argument about JT, and it would make sense. But all I'm saying is that Michael was aware of him, and he said he enjoyed him (whether or not he was specifically asked about it is unseen, but for now, I'm believing him). Never said that about Questlove or Mary or D'Angelo or anyone involved with Hot Fun.

Maybe he didn't mention Mary J. Blige, Questlove and D'Angelo because he was never asked about them. You can watch it yourself here at 6:35 how this complimenting of JT happened. MJ was specifically asked about him and he was courteous. In the same breath he quickly added Usher, although the question was not about him, but JT...

Again, this is not against JT or the collaboration. Michael might or might have not worked with him. Who knows? I just don't think your position is a very strong one to attack a "collaboration" with Blige, Questlove and D'Angelo when you are such a staunch supporter of the Timbaland-JT "collaboration". It's the same thing and the fact MJ mentioned JT in an interview doesn't really change that.

Just because someone is a massive fan of Michael does not mean that they deserve to be on his music. With that logic, the estate should have released the Justin Bieber remix of Slave to the Rhythm.

Ugh, do not twist this around. You were the one who tried to "justify" Timbaland's participation with the notion that he was a big admirer of MJ. I said so were Questlove and Mary J. in an answer to that. But it seems to me if you personally are a fan of someone (Timberlake, JT) you will give them a pass on something that you criticize others for. At least be consistent! I personally have no problem with Timbaland, JT being on Xscape - and I have no problem with Mary J. & Co. being on Hot Fun as long as the job done is good.

Back