Bill Bottrell tells the story behind "Monkey Business"

I think it's a good song, but ultimately glad it was left off Dangerous. They were going in a serious direction for the album, and honestly, the sound of monkey's in the background would have brought it down IMO.

I do think they should re-release this on another album like they did with a couple other Ultimate Collection tracks. I even think a collaboration with the surviving members of The Gorillaz with a music video similar to Feel Good Inc would be fantastic, and one I think Michael would have loved and found hilarious. That song was The Gorillaz biggest, if not only hit, and came around early 2000s....so Michael should have known who they were.

I think it's a match made in Heaven.
They were not strictly going in a serious direction for the 'Dangerous' album.

Note, for example, that they included car horns on the 'She Drives Me Wild' song.

Or, that Michael Jackson included those moans towards the end of the 'In The Closet' song.

Or, the danceable, carefree, and light-hearted sound of the new jack swing songs of the album.

'Monkey Business' would not have sounded out of place on the 'Dangerous' album, considering also the fact that the artwork of that album has monkey illustrations.

Back