Billie jean Kansas City

When I say overrated I don't mean overrated in terms of cultural impact. I mean overrated by the performance itself. It's a great performance but I wouldn't call it ''flawless''

The moonwalk was short and the toe stand didn't work out too well. But it was his first time performing it, so I'll cut him some slack.

When I say overrated I don't mean overrated in terms of cultural impact. I mean overrated by the performance itself. It's a great performance but I wouldn't call it ''flawless''

The moonwalk was short and the toe stand didn't work out too well. But it was his first time performing it, so I'll cut him some slack.
Basically, yeah

I find the Motown25 performance 95% flawless. Every little movement and gesture is eye candy. The opening dance has never been done classier than on M25, it oozes sex and machismo. Michael with his soft speaking voice takes the mic says a couple of words and from the opening beat transforms into a dancing machine, it takes balls to open a song like that, no wonder the crowd got up their feet basically straight away. What an iconic pose! Then there is the imaginary comb, the leg kick, the flower picking, the mic toe stand, the jumping, the constant movement of at least one body part. I cannot take my eyes off of it, not even after having seen it a hundred times.
Like others have said the moonwalk is not perfect, it is too short because Michael clearly couldn’t glide properly on that stage and the toe stand failed.

All those little intricate movements are missing from the live performances because he has to concentrate on his vocal delivery, he never managed to hit all the notes. It is a very hard song to perform and dance to at the same time, I’d like to see anyone try it.

You won’t often find me applauding a mimed performance but M25 is 😘🥰😍

I find the Motown25 performance 95% flawless. Every little movement and gesture is eye candy. The opening dance has never been done classier than on M25, it oozes sex and machismo. Michael with his soft speaking voice takes the mic says a couple of words and from the opening beat transforms into a dancing machine, it takes balls to open a song like that, no wonder the crowd got up their feet basically straight away. What an iconic pose! Then there is the imaginary comb, the leg kick, the flower picking, the mic toe stand, the jumping, the constant movement of at least one body part. I cannot take my eyes off of it, not even after having seen it a hundred times.
Like others have said the moonwalk is not perfect, it is too short because Michael clearly couldn’t glide properly on that stage and the toe stand failed.

All those little intricate movements are missing from the live performances because he has to concentrate on his vocal delivery, he never managed to hit all the notes. It is a very hard song to perform and dance to at the same time, I’d like to see anyone try it.

You won’t often find me applauding a mimed performance but M25 is 😘🥰😍
It was the best part of the whole night. Only Marvin Gaye was as smooth.

the most shocking thing is that there was no glove. throughout most of his public appearances that year, michael was rarely seen without it. for it to be missing during the performance that made it famous (although that wasn’t the first time he wore it) is baffling. I wonder what the story was behind that?

his moonwalk was only three paces, and there was no big spin or toe-stand at the end of it.

as it’s been mentioned, michael’s vocals were off key, but he was still fairly smooth considering it was towards the end of the show. I would’ve had no issue if he mimed, but that’s a whole different discussion..

yet despite all of that, I still find myself coming back to it every now and then. I actually like the way he spontaneously boogies towards the end. he seemed to be enjoying himself, and I imagine that’s the way he would’ve regularly moved to music in an unprofessional setting. the freestyle at the end though brief, was liquid smooth. I just wish I could’ve seen it from a better angle. there’s footage of him rehearsing this in his hotel room.

it’s said that michael would watch and critique his shows after. I wonder what he thought? this is from the opening night of three in kansas dates in total. it received rave reviews. nelson george was the only one unimpressed..

if there’s one michael jackson show that I wish would be released in perfect quality, it’s the new york one from this tour. that’s the best I’ve seen so far.

@83magic

I’ve seen Toronto, Kansas and Dallas. I just saw New York is also on YouTube. I’ll watch that soon.
the quality is not that great, but it’s definitely watchable. I think he struck the perfect balance between the singing and dancing. both were smooth. it’s great to hear more of the audience reaction as well. let us know what you think when you’re done 🙂

Back