Billy Joel Appreciation Thread

DarylJoel_B

Inactive
Country
United-States
I thought this kind of thread might have already existed on MJJC, but shockingly, it doesn't! At least, not one with this kind of title, anyway. So I've created it myself.

During this past week, I've been re-listening to the discography of Billy Joel.

I've grown up with Billy Joel for as long as I can remember. He was my father's favorite. He idolized Billy Joel almost as much as I idolize Michael. So growing up, I became very familiar with him, and later down the road, became very nostalgic for his repertoire. Sometimes though, it's combined with a beautiful sadness. My father passed away almost a year ago now. And I never even saw him for years before that, due to complicated reasons.

I still feel regret about not being able to have a more adult conversation with him before his death, nor not being able to receive any kind of closure from past events. I never got to ask why he felt such a platonic attachment to Billy Joel. I always wondered why. But what I did find out later is that he was definitely not the only one.

Are there any Billy Joel fans here? What is your favorite song by him? for me, i would say it would be "scenes from an Italian restaurant." that one was my dad's favorite. or "Zanzibar." but my favorite album is "an innocent man".

I thought this kind of thread might have already existed on MJJC, but shockingly, it doesn't! At least, not one with this kind of title, anyway. So I've created it myself.
Hey, DJ! There is one BJ thread from 2011. No replies. :(

I'm very predictable. Innocent Man is my fave, Uptown Girl is fab. Love Piano Man. Still Rock n' Roll. I only know the singles, never listened to the albums.

BJ rocks! :D

i mean... i did see that, lmao. but i don't like replying to threads that haven't had any replies for 10+ years, or are 10+ years old in general if no one ever responds to them. šŸ˜­ so i made a new one
I don't mind bumping an old thread if I can see the point. Sometimes there's a really cool video or someone posted a fab interview with someone who worked with Michael. I remember finding one that had a great interview with Stevie Stevens about his guitar solo that got cut out of DD. That was news to me so I was very excited. But that doesn't always happen.

This thread needs a BJ photo!

Top-Billy-Joel-Songs.jpg

in my opinion, the greatest live song of Billy's ever. this was also one of my favorite songs ever of his when i was younger. the long intro was always my favorite. i remember asking my dad how someone could play the piano that fast. i was absolutely astonished.

also my dad actually saw this concert in person! of course i was too young to remember but i was 2, almost 3 years old when he went on this journey. i don't remember ever talking about it with him or asking him about it though. even the concert we saw together in Madison Square Garden YEARS ago when i was around 9 i think? (yes, i saw Billy live before!) i don't even have enough memories of that concert because it was so long ago and i also i slept on my dad's shoulder a lot while Billy was playing.

what i actually remember more was my dad asking whoever was controlling the escalator there to turn the escalator off for me as we were leaving because i was afraid of escalators at the time, so everyone there had to go down the stairs. and they were told the escalator "wasn't working." true story! i still can't believe he did that for me...

so if by some miracle that anyone who is reading this who went to a Billy Joel concert at Madison Square Garden around 8-ish years ago and were forced to take the stairs while leaving because the escalator "wasn't working"... my bad šŸ˜­

Last edited:
how i should've known i was trans, reason one million and three: being 8 years old, singing this song, pretending i was billy instead of the girl šŸ˜­ being a singing mechanic with a rich girlfriend was like a dream for me. and honestly kinda still is

672337_1686767879_e186586c-33c3-4af6-b174-a2e5356e3a5e.jpg

found this pic again...

i feel like deep down in my soul Michael loved listening to BJ but i can't even prove it šŸ˜­ especially albums like Glass Houses or the Nylon Curtain (pictured above)

underrated gem from BJ's debut album... definitely strong paul mccartney vibes from this. i believe this and "falling of the rain" may be my favorite songs from cold spring harbor.

Imma share my story with Billy Joel here because I think it's quite interesting...
The very day I got my drivers liscence, the first thing I did was drive to my local record store. Just to shop a bit, I had no special records in mind that I wanted to purchase. That day I bought records like 'The Bodyguard' or 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'!
But in the very back of the store, I found 'An Innocent Man' by Billy Joel and I thought ,,Why not? I like Uptown Girl, so let's try the whole album''
I listened to it on vinyl that night and I was absolutely blown away... The introdcution with 'Easy Money' over to the Beethoven sample in 'This Night'... It all seemed perfect to me and I enjoyed for the entire month of January and beyond!
In February, I went back to my record store and purchased 'The Bridge' which I equally loved for the rest of the month and beyond!
Since then, Billy Joel is a must in my playlist and when I talk great artists! His albums remain as one of my all-time favourites.

Imma share my story with Billy Joel here because I think it's quite interesting...
The very day I got my drivers liscence, the first thing I did was drive to my local record store. Just to shop a bit, I had no special records in mind that I wanted to purchase. That day I bought records like 'The Bodyguard' or 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'!
But in the very back of the store, I found 'An Innocent Man' by Billy Joel and I thought ,,Why not? I like Uptown Girl, so let's try the whole album''
I listened to it on vinyl that night and I was absolutely blown away... The introdcution with 'Easy Money' over to the Beethoven sample in 'This Night'... It all seemed perfect to me and I enjoyed for the entire month of January and beyond!
AMAZING.

fun fact: an innocent man is actually my favorite Billy Joel album!

Back