Cancelled release of Thriller CD singles in 2003 (were they ever printed?)

MJ Tempest

Proud Member
As some of you might remember, Sony Australia planned to release all seven "Thriller" singles on CD in 2003.

Here are the tracklists:

Human Nature

• 1. Human Nature
  • 2. Baby Be Mine
  • 3. Human Nature (Instrumental)
  • 4. Rock With You
  • 5. Billie Jean
  • 6. Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough
  • 7. Remember The Time
  • 8. The Way You Make Me Feel
  • 9. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'​
P.Y.T [Pretty Young Thing]

• 1. P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)
  • 2. Heartbreak Hotel
  • 3. Working Night And Day (Live)
  • 4. Childhood
  • 5. Off The Wall
  • 6. Billie Jean
  • 7. Wanna Be Startin' Something
  • 8. Black Or White
  • 9. Jam
  • 10. Beat It
  • 11. They Don't Care About Us
  • 12. Scream
  • 13. Eas' On Down The Road​
Thriller

• 1. Thriller
  • 2. Thriller (Instrumental)
  • 3. Things I Do For You
  • 4. Thriller (Frankie Knuckles & David Morales Remix)
  • 5. Thriller (Danny Tenaglia Mix​
Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'

• 1. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
  • 2. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' (Instrumental)
  • 3. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' (12" Mix)
  • 4. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' (Brothers In Rhythm Mix)
  • 5. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' (Brothers In Rhythm House Mix)
  • 6. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' (Tommy D's Main Mix)​
Billie Jean

• 1. Billie Jean
  • 2. Billie Jean (Long Version)
  • 3. Billie Jean (Instrumental)
  • 4. Can't Get Outta The Rain
  • 5. Billie Jean (Tony Moran Mix)
  • 6. Billie Jean (Four On The Floor Remix - Radio Edit)​
Beat It

• 1. Beat It
  • 2. Get On The Floor
  • 3. Beat It (Instrumental Version)
  • 4. Beat It (Moby's Sub Mix)
  • 5. Burn This Disco Out​
The Girl Is Mine

• 1. The Girl Is Mine
  • 2. Can't Get Outta The Rain
  • 3. Someone In The Dark
  • 4. Rock With You (Classic Radio Edit)
  • 5. Remember The Time (Silky Soul 12" Mix)
  • 6. Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough (Enough Mix)
  • 7. Billie Jean (Moran's Luscious Vocal)
  • 8. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' (Brothers In Rhythm House Mix)
  • 9. Black Or White (The Clivilles & Cole House/Dub Mix)
  • 10. Thriller (Def Thrill Mix)​
Unfortunately the release of these CD singles was cancelled.

My question for the MJ experts is: Were these singles ever printed? Is it possible that they're in storage somewhere? Or if they were printed, were they just destroyed? :(

They have been pulled off at the last minute due to the (unfounded) 2003 child molestation accusations and arrest in November 2003.

Some copies have been pressed though.

I'd like to hear the Human Nature instrumental. I'd actually like to hear the whole Thriller album in instrumental.

Yes, I also heard some copies were outside the SONY buildings.... BUT WHERE???? Sadly not at my home..... I still hope I will buy them once....

I think they should have released these right after the trial instead of the "Essential Michael Jackson" CD. Just my opinion. And make them a worldwide release. It would have been nice IMO.

i think all singles are release in promo cd but it very rare i think no body havent it
except mike

I'd love to get the "Billie Jean" single, just for the Tony Moran mix. :wild:

The "Billie Jean" remix by Tony Moran and the Danny Tenaglia Mix of "Thriller" were also scheduled for promotional copies of SMILE.

Proof:

smiles.gif

(this is a promotional announcement by Sony Music / Epic Records for music stores, see tracklist at the bottom)

Thanks to "Visionary" / JacksonVillage

Korgnex :punk:

Interesting! Thanks Korgnex. :)

Sony really missed a big opportunity when they didn't include the Moran and Tenaglia remixes on any of the "Thriller 25" special retail editions (Target, BestBuy, Circuit City and Independent Music Stores) or on Amazon and iTunes.

What did we get instead? Three versions of the Four on the Floor mix! -_- (Underground Mix for iTunes/Amazon, 1982 Club Mix for Target and 1982 Radio Edit Remix for Independent Music Stores) The Circuit City edition got a 1982 Dance Mix of "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'... which was just an extended version of the original. Kudos to them for putting "Thriller" (Def Thrill mix) on the BestBuy edition, though.

Tenaglia was very popular in the late 90's and a BJ remix by him would have been great I guess.

regarding the 2003 CD's : I'm not sure factory Cd were made, but work-in-progress CD's with the cleared tracks may have been made. The thing is that Sony reviews a list of tracks and request some, and the sound engineer checks the tracks and begin to assemble the final master.
The thing is that the tracklists changed once before the whole thing collapsed and that Number Ones and the allegations trapped it. So I'm really not sure such masters have been made.

My guess is that someday Sony will release a remix GH album with some of those cuts. Remixes are not that hard to get unlike unreleased and new tracks (of course).

Apparently a remix album was planned to be released in 1992, but that never happened.

It is certainly a good idea, and it would at least be different than releasing those damn Greatest Hits albums with the same versions of the same songs over and over and over again...

remix albums have been produced on some occasions:

1993 (Japan only) "Dangerous - The Remix Collection"
1994 (international) "The Mega Remixes"
1997 (international) "Blood On The Dance Floor - HIStory In The Mix"
2003 (DJ promo only) "Number Twelves"

Meh, I get upset with the lack of Human Nature instrumentalness! I have the Miles Davis version, an acoustic guitar version, the crappy midi version, the SWV version, and maybe some other ones, I JUST WANT THAT INSTRUMENTAL!!!!!!!

you know what irritates me, these singles keep getting released over and over again, when they are already available as single on itunes. if they were going to release these they should come with acapellas. Professional acapellas. especially billie jean. I've been wanting to hear a professional quality billie jean acapella complete with back up vocals for a long time now.

you know what irritates me, these singles keep getting released over and over again, when they are already available as single on itunes. if they were going to release these they should come with acapellas. Professional acapellas. especially billie jean. I've been wanting to hear a professional quality billie jean acapella complete with back up vocals for a long time now.

Yeh that would be cool

i wish some would leak:

I know one fan had the Thriller Def Mix a YEAR b4 it came out

Danny Tenaglia has been asked dozens of times, but wont, citing "contracts" and "karma"

Unfortunately, Tony Moran has done so many, he has actually said that he may have lost the mix!

Back