"Chicago 1945" (1989 & 1995)?

I'm sorry but are you sure about that ? The instrumental seem very early mid 80's, it's seem the estate have asked Porcaro to use Chicago 1945 but he have refused (maybe it was Dream Away) because he feared they would have changed and remixed to modernize etc.., for me the title sound very Thriller/Victory area, the voice is more pure that during Bad

The story I remember reading was that this leak was the most recent revision of the song Porcaro did to the song, which was putting new drums on the track. I think the rest of it may be original. Michael's vocals are very Bad era sounding, so I wouldn't be surprised if the vocal take we hear here was done during those album sessions.

I'm sorry but are you sure about that ? The instrumental seem very early mid 80's, it's seem the estate have asked Porcaro to use Chicago 1945 but he have refused (maybe it was Dream Away) because he feared they would have changed and remixed to modernize etc.., for me the title sound very Thriller/Victory area, the voice is more pure that during Bad
The drums and horns are all from 2010.

Okay so the new instrumentals from 2010s is false ? I have never heard this story and I find that weird, that really sound musically very early mid-80s, the vocals sound also very complete, that don't sound like a demo.

A question, this music and dream away were for Victory or for his solo album ? I have never understand why he didn't have put together this song, Al Capone and Smooth Criminal (really like the 85 demo), I think they complete well each others like a 3 parts story

That can't be. Steve said he let his brother Jeff replay the drums.
Yeah I think the closest date we can track the drums is 1986, during the Bad sessions. The horns could've been from there as well, but horns aren't typically done until way later into an album session.

Okay so the new instrumentals from 2010s is false ? I have never heard this story and I find that weird, that really sound musically very early mid-80s, the vocals sound also very complete, that don't sound like a demo.

A question, this music and dream away were for Victory or for his solo album ? I have never understand why he didn't have put together this song, Al Capone and Smooth Criminal (really like the 85 demo), I think they complete well each others like a 3 parts story
Steve said he was working on this and Dream Away and that they weren't finished yet. They are for sure versions he's been working on imo.

More than likely for his solo album.

Well "worked" could be simply mixed well the song, not necessary new instrumentals, that a very important part of the works too, I really don't see what kind of works he could do, have you a link or a source where he have said he continue to works in these songs ? They look already very complete.

Last edited:

Steve Porcaro said that right after Thriller, Michael started working on the next album with his brothers and those songs were worked on during this time.

The drums and horns are all from 2010.
No the drums are most likely from the 80s. Steve said that the initial synth jam he did used a drum machine. The live drums were most likely recorded when MJ recorded his vocals.

Also the leaked version of the song was never worked on during the Bad sessions.

the question is hard to hear in the recording but it is something like "Did he think about releasing it on another album?"
"You know he didn't. I remember I walked in to work on Bad, and I haven't done that much on Bad. But the first time I walked in on Bad Quincy said "yo Poco, Chicago 1945, nice". You know I assumed it would come up at some point and then I assumed I would take it and do what I was gonna do, what he asked me to do in the first place. And I would get in touch with him and play it for him and convince him to finish it. You know to put it out somehow but no never. "

Here is everything that was recorded from the Steve seminar so anybody can listen for themselves:

Steve said he was working on this and Dream Away and that they weren't finished yet. They are for sure versions he's been working on imo.
Yeah it seems that there is a verse missing..? (one is double).

To me the drums are the only thing that doesn't sound mid 80s btw, you would expect a hard-hitting drum machine if it was from that time.. more likeley 2000's

Here is everything that was recorded from the Steve seminar so anybody can listen for themselves:
My man thank you so much for posting this šŸ™ I've been looking for the full recording for a while now. This can give an idea of how the seminars are like to those who are unable to attend them.

But the first time I walked in on Bad Quincy said "yo Poco, Chicago 1945, nice".
So maybe there's a version of C45 recorded at Westlake in fall of 1986.šŸ¤”

In late 1990s a Toto fan page mentioned (or even quoted, don't remember this now) Steve sayin that MJ's recorded C45 twice. I've always assumed the second recording session may have happened during History sessions.

edit:
The booklet of Xscape (deluxe edition) states C45 as Bad outtake.

Steve Porcaro said that right after Thriller, Michael started working on the next album with his brothers and those songs were worked on during this time.

No the drums are most likely from the 80s. Steve said that the initial synth jam he did used a drum machine. The live drums were most likely recorded when MJ recorded his vocals.

Also the leaked version of the song was never worked on during the Bad sessions.

the question is hard to hear in the recording but it is something like "Did he think about releasing it on another album?"
"You know he didn't. I remember I walked in to work on Bad, and I haven't done that much on Bad. But the first time I walked in on Bad Quincy said "yo Poco, Chicago 1945, nice". You know I assumed it would come up at some point and then I assumed I would take it and do what I was gonna do, what he asked me to do in the first place. And I would get in touch with him and play it for him and convince him to finish it. You know to put it out somehow but no never. "

Awesome thanks for posting that

It's interesting hearing Steve's thoughts on the xscape album. Him saying that he doesn't intend to release Dream Away is unfortunate, although I get him saying the vocal is rough and he doesn't think MJ would want it released.

I probably wouldn't listen to a version he made with another artist though, tbh.

Last edited:
So maybe there's a version of C45 recorded at Westlake in fall of 1986.šŸ¤”

In late 1990s a Toto fan page mentioned (or even quoted, don't remember this now) Steve sayin that MJ's recorded C45 twice. I've always assumed the second recording session may have happened during History sessions.

edit:
The booklet of Xscape (deluxe edition) states C45 as Bad outtake.
As I previously posted, David Williams told Pocaro that he had recorded the song. So the second version of C45 would have been recorded while Williams was working with MJ. That puts that version somewhere between 1983 and 1991.
It's definitely possible that it was 1986, and the claim from the estate would support that (but it's the estate so it doesn't mean much by itself). It's still weird to me that Pocaro wasn't invited to work on this version of the song.

Btw what is the source for 1995?

My biggest problem with the song is that MJ sings the chorus at full power the first time, then falsetto for the rest of it. Takes away significantky from the strength of the vocals.

@Beano Wild Any opinions and maybe Mp3s šŸ‘‰šŸ‘ˆ

My biggest problem with the song is that MJ sings the chorus at full power the first time, then falsetto for the rest of it. Takes away significantky from the strength of the vocals.
maybe 2-track mixes of both original demos use different vocals. I suppose Steve owns only a copy of the 1983 multitrack tape (and 2-track mix of the other one)

Bill Bottrell yesterday, when asked if he worked on Cheater, answered that he could hear Cheater being done at Soundcastle, "during or after Victory, '84." he said
If we take Bill's guess at face value, to me at least Cheater totally sounds like Bad (vocals wise), so if Chicago 1945 is from around the same time period then it totally makes sense for it to be 1984 and still sound like Bad

i guess MJ's voice was just weird like that lol
His voice was not "weird". You guys really underplay the uniqueness of his voice. Michael was experimenting with different sounds for his upcoming album (in this case the album would be "Bad"), if you listen to all of Michael's demos in between and after different eras, you will notice that he sounds like a mix between whichever era came before and the era that came after. Simply put, Michael always had the same voice, he just learned how to sing differently as time passed, which is why he sounds different on Thriller than he does on Bad. Michael could always sing like he did on Thriller even when he was in his 40's. I believe "Chicago 1945" was simply a way to experiment with the "Bad" era singing style.

Back