Chicago 1945 82, 83 or 86....? Thriller or Bad Era? :/

Richard76

Heartbreaker
Country
Russia
Can somebody make it clear. When was Chicago 1945 recorded? I found info about that: Chicago 1945 is a track that was first recorded a week after Thriller released (December 1982), but was saved for his next album “Bad”. It was recorded in 1986.... But it doesnt make any sence. When i listen to Chicago 1945 i can totally hear MJ Bad Era's voice! But Some sources claim the song vocals were recorded week after Thriller album was released (just like Dream Away song, but Dream Away song has MJ Thiller Era's voice!)

It sounds like it was recorded close to the time State Of Shock and Throwing Your Life Away were recorded, that's of they even were recorded close together. I have lumped Chicago 1945, State of Shock, Be Not Always, The Hurt and Throwing Your Life Away together for some reason. I'd say between 83 and 85

I saw somewhere that must to be release as a single in 2009, so i think it was reworked ..

I honestly think it's up to your individual preference at this point. I'd say if you're getting to 86 it's officially bad era, but I don't really care enough to actually categorise every year.

If it helps, Chicago 1945 has been categorized as a Bad sessions recording by the Estate.

It’s not some sources who claim that it was done one week after the release of Thriller. It’s literally the only other person who wrote and worked on the production of that song, Steve Porcaro.

Whether he meant the album Thriller or the single Thriller is still up to debate and somebody should ask him about it so that we get some clarification.

Either way, it would have either been December 1982 or February 1984. The early 1984 date appears to be more likely since he used to claim that it was recorded shortly before the Victory Tour.

When was 1986 ever mentioned in relation to Chicago 1945? Never heard that.

IMO, it's a Bad outtake. If it was recorded after the release of Thriller, it doesn't make it a Thriller era song.

I think the version is really from December 1982 recording, regardless of it being a Bad outtake recognized by the Estate and the vocals.

Last edited:
IMO, it's a Bad outtake. If it was recorded after the release of Thriller, it doesn't make it a Thriller era song.
Thriller era is 1980-1984... Bad era is 1985-1989. So if it was recorded in this period, we can say its from Thrilller Era)

Okay. If lots of people think that it was recorded in 1984. I guess its Bad era most likely

It does sound more like a Bad era vocal but there are telltale signs it's Thriller/Victory era though.

The way he speaks the word Chicago at the start sounds like Thriller era interviews, also the way he says 1945 too.

The third verse sounds Thriller era to me

The falsetto of "Who solved that mystery"

It reminds me a lot of the Stevie Wonder duet Get It vocally at least. Mike sounds more raw and sings with some grit on Get It, which is understandable given the time at which it was recorded (probably recorded after the Bad Album sessions) that reminds of Chicago 1945, in that it has that same grit and it was recorded not song after the Thriller album

It reminds me a lot of the Stevie Wonder duet Get It vocally at least. Mike sounds more raw and sings with some grit on Get It, which is understandable given the time at which it was recorded (probably recorded after the Bad Album sessions)
Get It was recorded in September of 1987 in Tokyo. (3 days prior to the first bwt show iirc)

Back