Conversation with my sister (MJ related)

MJJ'slilgrl

Proud Member
About a week, ago, my nine-year-old sister and I were watching Michael's "Private Home Movies" on YouTube (which totally needs to be released on DVD), and when it was over, she saw "The Making of Thriller" in the thumbnails, so she asked to watch it.
Soon after it started, she turned to me, curiosity written all over her face.
"Why is his skin... different?" Now, she's been a fan of MJ since before she was born; when my mum was pregnant, and I would play his music, she would kick to the beat. Only would do it to Michael, as well; it was funny seeing my mum's stomach move to the beat of "Thriller."
When she was younger, she asked why Michael sometimes looked different, and I told her he had a skin disease, but she must have forgotten, so I told her again.
"He had vitiligo, which is a skin disease that makes the skin lose all pigmentation, all colour. That's why he looked pale as he got older."
"Do we have that?" she asked, looking down at her hands.
"No, we're just white," I then proceeded to show her some pictures of Michael's vitiligo.
"I don't want to look at them any more; they make me sad. Poor Michael." I told her that it was okay; it didn't hurt him, and we continued watching the video.

That's my little story; I thought everyone here might enjoy reading it. :)

That was a very sweet story. And your little sister is lucky to have a sister like you to teach her about MJ

Sendt fra min Lenovo A7600-F med Tapatalk

Thanks :) I'm lucky she's a fan, though. She adores him; she thinks he's beautiful.

While we were watching the PHM, she was playing with my label maker; she made labels that said "Michael," "What about us," and "Are you scared yet?"

^^I bet she was wondering because of the color of her skin that's why I agree with ChrisC. Unless people have vitiligo universalis, they have little or no pigment in the skin but the people who suffer from albinism don't have melanin at all.

Nice to know she was understanding though.

^^^ My sister and I are both quite pale, and I was trying to explain it to her in a way that she would understand, and that's why she asked if she had it, because we both get compared to Casper, lol.

Thanks for sharing your story. I wish more people were as understanding, about Michael and others with diseases that separate them from others. I'd never heard of vitiligo before Michael, but saw a grocery clerk several years back who had it. He almost looked like a brown and tan Dalmatian, with big splotches and spots everywhere. I've since met a few others with the same condition, so it doesn't freak me out like in the past.

Thanks for sharing your story. I wish more people were as understanding, about Michael and others with diseases that separate them from others. I'd never heard of vitiligo before Michael, but saw a grocery clerk several years back who had it. He almost looked like a brown and tan Dalmatian, with big splotches and spots everywhere. I've since met a few others with the same condition, so it doesn't freak me out like in the past.

I'm glad that vitiligo doesn't freak you out like it used to. :D
It's nice to hear a story of someone changing their outlook about vitiligo as opposed to shunning people because of it. :yes:

Honestly though, when it comes to Michael I think that some people hate and/or dehumanize him so much to the point that they don't care about what sicknesses he suffered from, nor do they care to learn about them, and instead they just add any sickness he had to their list of what made/makes him a freak.
I hate those people.

I'm glad that vitiligo doesn't freak you out like it used to. :D
It's nice to hear a story of someone changing their outlook about vitiligo as opposed to shunning people because of it. :yes:

Honestly though, when it comes to Michael I think that some people hate and/or dehumanize him so much to the point that they don't care about what sicknesses he suffered from, nor do they care to learn about them, and instead they just add any sickness he had to their list of what made/makes him a freak.
I hate those people.

You can really understand why Michael preferred the company of children; they never saw the colour of his skin, or his surgeries, or anything like that. They saw a human being.

Back