Could MJ have been a decent drummer?

Being credited playing percussion could mean anything.

Matt Forger brings it to the point (watch 1:00f)

Reactions: xam
Just found this old interview from 1972. In the middle of the second column Michael talks about learning to play the piano and sits down and plays some Elton John.

VsTFdvo.jpg

I don't know what it takes to master an instrument but there is this J5 picture where MJ is in the background playing drums.
When he sings a bit of Who is it for Oprah you can see he is snapping his fingers and bumping his foot on the floor rhythmically so I assume he must be at least handy behind a drum kit?

OR I'm totally wrong, I honestly know nothing about music, I only et my ears judge what I like or don't like :listeningtomusic

I believe that he could play drums, piano and guitar quite well. Joe Jackson said once that he could play a number of instruments, but I don't just take his word for it, of course. Evidence in images like the one you have mentioned, anecdotes by people he worked with, even video of him demonstrating to Michael Beardon the notes he wanted on the keyboard...also tempo/rhythm, etc. in TII, is enough for me to form this opinion.

Here's another thing......MJ is listed in the credits for the Invincible album as playing "multi instruments". I think it was Rodney Jerkins who stated that it's Michael playing the relentless, forboding piano hook in "Threatened", for example.

Invincible credits - Michael Jackson - Arranger, Composer, Conductor, Multi Instruments, Primary Artist, Producer, Programming, Vocals, Vocals (Background)

https://www.allmusic.com/album/invincible-mw0000011263/credits

Let's be real, he couldn't play properly any instrument and I quite don't believe the song credits where it is stated that he played an instrument on them.

You don't know this to be a fact. This is your opinion. Why on Earth wouldn't you believe song credits? You're basically saying people lied, to fudge Michael's abilities.

Someone with such an inate talent for music and an affinity for sound....for melody, rhythm, song structure, etc. is bound to be able to play at least one instrument reasonably well. I think he played for his own enjoyment and to work out songs, privately. Just because he didn't publicly demonstrate musicianship, or play on stage and so forth, it doesn't mean that he couldn't play anything properly, which is what you're saying here.

Has anyone heard the old recording of Michael singing a song (a lament) named "Going Over Jordan"? Michael is the one playing guitar whilst singing. I have an MP3 of it on my computer, but I'm not sure how to copy it and bring it here, or if that's even possible.

Has anyone heard the old recording of Michael singing a song (a lament) named "Going Over Jordan"? Michael is the one playing guitar whilst singing. I have an MP3 of it on my computer, but I'm not sure how to copy it and bring it here, or if that's even possible.
Do you mean this? That's a guy named Tom Fox, not MJ:

I remember this circulating way back in the day.

Reactions: xam
I’ve been reading a lot of old Jackson 5 interviews and articles recently, and there’s almost none that doesn’t mention that Michael was actively learning to play the piano and the drums. Literally almost every single one mentions this.

I think Michael could play very basic things on the piano to get ideas across, but he wasn't a super skilled instrumentalist.

It would've been cool if mj could play the drums

wonderouzmj;4293571 said:

Thanks! Like Greg says, it makes perfect sense. :)

MJ practiced drums and piano a lot back in the J5 days, and there are interviews where he seemed to have considered playing on stage at some point. Of course, that’s not what happened because his career went in a different direction, and decisions have to be made which skills you’re going to focus on. He was busy singing, dancing, songwriting, filming etc, and that doesn’t leave much time in the day to seriously practice an instrument. And to get to a level that MJ would consider “great” would take a hell of a lot of time.

The question is what qualifies as “can play”. When Greg says, MJ “dabbled” with the piano, that’s the perspective from someone who’s a master at it. I’ve had piano lessons for about 6 years now, but if Greg Phillinganes would ask me if I could play, it would be a resounding “No!” from me. I wouldn’t even go near a piano if he was watching. :D

Last edited:
Couldn't possibly know, but I've always felt that Michael would have made not just a decent, but a great drummer.

It is not good for man to be alone (Ephesians 5:25-33)

I've always wondered that as well, I can really see him possibly doing drums considering how well and incredible his beats are, especially with beatboxing, and even the piano he can play it so beautifully, even if it's just a few chords or notes. šŸ„°

Back