Could MJ play guitar part in Stranger in Moscow and Morphine?

Richard76

Heartbreaker
Country
Russia
My friend claims that MJ could play the guitar, is true or not? As far as i know MJ couldn't play any instrument.... he made music with his voice.... he always had voice recorder, which he used to record his beatbox...

Last edited:
Michael Jackson could not play the guitar part in 'Stranger In Moscow' and in 'Morphine', meaning that these credits that he gets on these 2 songs are apparently misleading.

This fact was also confirmed by the singer's nephew Taj Jackson:

"He wasn't very good at playing the instruments to the songs. He could tap on the keyboards and get around, just like anyone could, but he didn't know how to play the piano or a guitar" (Taj Jackson, 2020)

Besides, when Michael Jackson began his career with The Jackson 5, his brothers played all the instruments, so he focused on singing and dancing.

Michael Jackson could not play the guitar part in 'Stranger In Moscow' and in 'Morphine', meaning that these credits that he gets on these 2 songs are apparently misleading.

This fact was also confirmed by the singer's nephew Taj Jackson:

"He wasn't very good at playing the instruments to the songs. He could tap on the keyboards and get around, just like anyone could, but he didn't know how to play the piano or a guitar" (Taj Jackson, 2020)

Besides, when Michael Jackson began his career with The Jackson 5, his brothers played all the instruments, so he focused on singing and dancing.
No they didn't. Jermaine played bass and Tito played guitar, and later on when Randy joined he played congos. They had other people to do the other instruments, like drums, keyboards. So his brothers didn't play "all the instruments"

No they didn't. Jermaine played bass and Tito played guitar, and later on when Randy joined he played congos. They had other people to do the other instruments, like drums, keyboards. So his brothers didn't play "all the instruments"
@Michaels Lover, my point is that unlike Michael Jackson, his brothers knew how to play the instruments on a professional level.

For example, Randy Jackson knew how to play keyboards, even though he did not want to play that instrument during The Jackson 5 performances.

I recently heard an Interview by Greg Philiganes (the one with Questlove, I highly recommend it), and he stated that he caught Michael playing the drums in the studio once and that he was pretty good

Back