Court rules R. Kelly plagiarized MJ's "You Are Not Alone"

The melody of 'You Are Not Alone' was taken from the 'If We Can Start All Over' song which had been written by the Belgian songwriters Eddy and Danny Van Passel in 1993.

R. Kelly at the time failed to support his claims (that he did not plagiarize that song) when he provided some very weak arguments.

On September 4th 2007, the Brussels Court of Appeal ruled the decision of plagiarism.

Also, R. Kelly wrote 'You Are Not Alone' in a surprisingly very short period of time which also shows that he plagiarized the 'If We Can Start All Over' song.

As a result, 'You Are Not Alone' was banned from broadcast and it cannot be played for commercial purposes in Belgium.

[...] Also, R. Kelly wrote 'You Are Not Alone' in a surprisingly very short period of time which also shows that he plagiarized the 'If We Can Start All Over' song. [...]
That's not much of an argument!

Led Zeppelin - Rock n' Roll / 30 mins
Black Sabbath - Paranoid / 30 mins
Adele - Hometown Glory / 10 mins
Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love / 5 - 10 mins

That's not much of an argument!

Led Zeppelin - Rock n' Roll / 30 mins
Black Sabbath - Paranoid / 30 mins
Adele - Hometown Glory / 10 mins
Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love / 5 - 10 mins
Definitely! Even MJ had a record of writing and recording fledged-out demos in a very short period. Just look at ”Give In To Me,” “Billie Jean,” and “The Girl Is Mine”- countless examples of this in his discography.

Another example comes to mind- Amy Winehouse wrote and recorded a full vocal for “Back To Black” in less than two hours. Just goes to show that talented song-writers and musician can absolutely compose masterpieces in a short amount of time.

Also, R. Kelly wrote 'You Are Not Alone' in a surprisingly very short period of time which also shows that he plagiarized the 'If We Can Start All Over' song.
I guess you never heard of Prince, who probably recorded 5 albums a month. 🤣 In some cases playing all of the instruments and doing all the vocal parts. One of Prince's problems with Warners is that they refused to release as much as he wanted. They said it was too much material & they could not market the albums well if they did that, the public would not buy all of it. WB did release some stuff by his different protege acts like Vanity 6 & Madhouse or as non-album B-sides on singles. Which were technically Prince albums with somebody else singing.

There's songwriters who wrote songs for lots of people like Smokey Robinson, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, Goffin & King, Babyface, James Brown, Diane Warren, Thom Bell & Linda Creed, and so on. They had to write quickly to have so much material. Smokey & Dolly Parton have written thousands of songs. In a 2 year period in the late 1960s James Brown released 9 different albums, some all instrumental, and that's not including the records he did for other acts. Look at all the Lennon/McCartney songs that were on The Beatles records. They were only a recording group for around 7 years, although they first formed in the late 1950s as The Quarrymen. Back then the average act release 2 or 3 albums a year and sometimes non-album singles in addition to that. R. Kelly also wrote and/or produced songs for many acts & his own records too. He didn't only write that 1 song for Mike.

I guess you never heard of Prince, who probably recorded 5 albums a month. 🤣 In some cases playing all of the instruments and doing all the vocal parts. One of Prince's problems with Warners is that they refused to release as much as he wanted. They said it was too much material & they could not market the albums well if they did that, the public would not buy all of it. WB did release some stuff by his different protege acts like Vanity 6 & Madhouse or as non-album B-sides on singles. Which were technically Prince albums with somebody else singing.

There's songwriters who wrote songs for lots of people like Smokey Robinson, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, Goffin & King, Babyface, James Brown, Diane Warren, Thom Bell & Linda Creed, and so on. They had to write quickly to have so much material. Smokey & Dolly Parton have written thousands of songs. In a 2 year period in the late 1960s James Brown released 9 different albums, some all instrumental, and that's not including the records he did for other acts. Look at all the Lennon/McCartney songs that were on The Beatles records. They were only a recording group for around 7 years, although they first formed in the late 1950s as The Quarrymen. Back then the average act release 2 or 3 albums a year and sometimes non-album singles in addition to that. R. Kelly also wrote and/or produced songs for many acts & his own records too. He didn't only write that 1 song for Mike.
Prince was also found guilty of plagiarizing his 'The Most Beautiful Girl In The World' song, which became a hit (like, 'You Are Not Alone').

According to the latest Italian court ruling, 'The Most Beautiful Girl In The World' plagiarized the 'Takin' Me To Paradise' song written by 2 Italian writers (Bruno Bergonzi and Michele Vicino) in the early 80s.

As a result, 'The Most Beautiful Girl In The World' was banned from broadcast and it cannot be played for commercial purposes in Italy.

Prince was also found guilty of plagiarizing his 'The Most Beautiful Girl In The World' song, which became a hit (like, 'You Are Not Alone').

According to the latest Italian court ruling, 'The Most Beautiful Girl In The World' plagiarized the 'Takin' Me To Paradise' song written by 2 Italian writers (Bruno Bergonzi and Michele Vicino) in the early 80s.

As a result, 'The Most Beautiful Girl In The World' was banned from broadcast and it cannot be played for commercial purposes in Italy.
Italy? Yeah Prince really lost a lot of money there. 🤣 You do know that Mike & The Jacksons copied songs. They just didn't get sued. All Night Dancin' is a sped up version of Harvest For The World by The Isley Brothers. Give In To Me is Dokken's Alone Again. Mike did get sued for sampling an orchestra recording on Will You Be There without clearing it though. Daryl Hall said that Mike himself told him & John Oates at the We Are The World recording that he used I Can't Go For That for Billie Jean. Then there's a bunch of Billie Jean soundalikes, one is Caribbean Queen by Billy Ocean. Maneater by Hall & Oates & Part Time Lover by Stevie Wonder both sound like You Can't Hurry Love by The Supremes.

Pretty much all artists have copied something, some songwriters don't care enough to sue. David Bowie didn't sue James Brown for James' song Hot. George Harrison was sued for My Sweet Lord, not by the songwriters of He's So Fine, but by the guy who owned the publishing, who had nothing to do with the writing. Harrison later bought the publishing to He's So Fine. John Fogerty was sued for The Old Man Down The Road. John did not own the publishing rights to his CCR songs, and was accused by the owner for copying his own song. Fogerty wrote a song about it called Vanz Kant Danz. "Vanz" is Saul Zaentz (the owner of Fantasy Records) who stole Fogerty's publishing in the first place. I think Fogerty just recently got his CCR copyrights back.

Italy? Yeah Prince really lost a lot of money there. 🤣 You do know that Mike & The Jacksons copied songs. They just didn't get sued. All Night Dancin' is a sped up version of Harvest For The World by The Isley Brothers. Give In To Me is Dokken's Alone Again. Mike did get sued for sampling an orchestra recording on Will You Be There without clearing it though. Daryl Hall said that Mike himself told him & John Oates at the We Are The World recording that he used I Can't Go For That for Billie Jean. Then there's a bunch of Billie Jean soundalikes, one is Caribbean Queen by Billy Ocean. Maneater by Hall & Oates & Part Time Lover by Stevie Wonder both sound like You Can't Hurry Love by The Supremes.

Pretty much all artists have copied something, some songwriters don't care enough to sue. David Bowie didn't sue James Brown for James' song Hot. George Harrison was sued for My Sweet Lord, not by the songwriters of He's So Fine, but by the guy who owned the publishing, who had nothing to do with the writing. Harrison later bought the publishing to He's So Fine. John Fogerty was sued for The Old Man Down The Road. John did not own the publishing rights to his CCR songs, and was accused by the owner for copying his own song. Fogerty wrote a song about it called Vanz Kant Danz. "Vanz" is Saul Zaentz (the owner of Fantasy Records) who stole Fogerty's publishing in the first place. I think Fogerty just recently got his CCR copyrights back.
Not reading all that

But it's called interpolation yeah

I'm good with saying R Kelly plagiarised it. F*ck him. I like the song. Always have and will.
Really it's better if he plagiarized it, that means it's one less thing to appreciate him for, and that's great

Let's just remove his producer credit too. Give it to MJ and call it a day.

Back