Crack Kills

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date
According to All The Songs, this is supposedly the demo of “Crack Kills” Run DMC recorded for Mike. I’ve read many conflicting stories about “Crack Kills” so take this with a grain of salt.
Apparently in the album notes this song is titled “Crack (demo for Michael Jackson)” so I think it’s very likely this is “Crack Kills”.
Actually, no. Crack was a song made seperately from Crack Kills. One of the singers said as much when the subject came up.

• When the reel was found for this demo it said "Crack (For Michael Jackson)" on the box, but according to Run the track was never intended to MJ. "We had only met with Michael for once. We had this crazy idea that reminded me of Force MC's (later became Force MD's) and Dot-A-Rock (Fantastic 5 & Cold Crush Brothers). It sounded like Flash on the beat box and the way Jesse D from the Force MC's would sing like Michael over a fly beat box." – Run

According to All The Songs, this is supposedly the demo of “Crack Kills” Run DMC recorded for Mike. I’ve read many conflicting stories about “Crack Kills” so take this with a grain of salt.
Apparently in the album notes this song is titled “Crack (demo for Michael Jackson)” so I think it’s very likely this is “Crack Kills”.
Thank you Lotfik.

Thank you Lotfik.

Actually, no. Crack was a song made seperately from Crack Kills. One of the singers said as much when the subject came up.

• When the reel was found for this demo it said "Crack (For Michael Jackson)" on the box, but according to Run the track was never intended to MJ. "We had only met with Michael for once. We had this crazy idea that reminded me of Force MC's (later became Force MD's) and Dot-A-Rock (Fantastic 5 & Cold Crush Brothers). It sounded like Flash on the beat box and the way Jesse D from the Force MC's would sing like Michael over a fly beat box." – Run
I mean, this information is actually in the book, so this tells me that All The Songs is not the most accurate source. I still find it odd that it’s listed as a demo intended for MJ in the album notes, even if that was never the intention for this song.

I mean, why would it have for MJ written on the box if it wasn't and idea recorded with MJ in mind?

Not sure I buy the MJ disliked rap excuse, considering rap is featured heavily on his tracks in the 90's through 2000s. Maybe if Run DMC's had ego trips during the meeting......then I could see why the collab never took place.

Not sure I buy the MJ disliked rap excuse, considering rap is featured heavily on his tracks in the 90's through 2000s. Maybe if Run DMC's had ego trips during the meeting......then I could see why the collab never took place.
MJ grew to like rap, not straight out the womb. What he felt in 87 is not necessarily the same as the 2000s.

I mean, why would it have for MJ written on the box if it wasn't and idea recorded with MJ in mind?
It's just an inside joke I guess. Still, you could mash it up with MJs lyrics for "Crack" and it'd fit.

Back