Creating a different less New Jack Swing sounding Dangerous album?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
The entire discussion that erupted about Dangerous in one of the threads got me thinking about this. Some of the complaints about the album are about the fact that the first half differs a lot from the 2nd half making it less coherent (which doesn't bother me personally).
I was thinking was it possible to create a Dangerous album not centered on the new jack swing sound and more centered on the then classic MJ sound? This pretty much requires leaving out the entire A side.

So I'd say the songs that stay in would be remember the time, heal the world, black or white, who is it, give in to me, will you be there, keep the faith, gone too soon.
This means dropping 6 NJS songs. One could argue keeping who is it and remember the time but they are not the hard NJS to me.
One song that could take the new open places is without doubt someone put your hand out. What other possibilities are there?

This is just for fun, I have nothing against all the inclusions on Dangerous, it is a grand album.

I know my comment is extremely useless and the exact opposite to the point of this thread, but honestly, I feel like this album would just lose exactly what made it great to begin with. I loved the fact that Michael's sound was always evolving, and I looove new jack swing too, personally. But yet another "classic MJ" album, and oh I do love those albums mind you, but it would just... IDK, kinda feel like pandering almost, and like a limitation of Michael's natural musical evolution and creativity.

There's a reason it's my favorite album... It's already perfect. Getting rid of the new jack swing would just make my heart cry! 😭

this album was just perfection. In my opinion the best he delivered during his career. I like it the way he released it. To me it’s his most creative album. Everyone is talking about the new jack swing sound, but compared to other tracks of that genre Teddy and Michael created a unique sound together. Wish they made more together.

Ok so I’ll have a go at it.

1) Black or White
2) If You Don’t Love Me
3) Remember The Time
4) For All Time
5) Gone Too Soon
6) Give In To Me
7) Who Is It
8) Will You Be There
9) Someone Put Your Hand Out
10) Keep The Faith
11) Dangerous (alternate take)
12) Heal The World
13) Slave To The Rhythm
14) Streetwalker

So here we go a different Dangerous and not anymore a NJS album. The extra added tracks were most likely all considered or recorded during the original sessions.

@IMWhizzle I agree, the NJS songs on Dangerous sound unique to me too. The genre in itself is pretty boring to me but Riley and Jackson added extra spice to it.
@DangerousGal91 Don’t worry, all replies are welcome 😄 it is a toss up for me between thriller and dangerous for favorite album, I sometimes even consider got to be there to be his best 🫢

My take on this

01 - Black or White
02 - Buffalo Bill
03 - If You Don't Love Me
04 - For All Time
05 - They Don't Care About Us
06 - Earth Song
07 - Who Is It
08 - Give In To Me
09 - Will You Be There
10 - Keep The Faith
11 - Dangerous (Bottrell Version)
12 - Someone Put Your Hand Out

That he changed styles for OTW, Thriller, Bad and Dangerous was what made MJ relevant, innovative and fresh..

The real question should be imo:

1.Why didn't he innovate his sounds for the History album and remix the (Dangerous) songs for BOTDF, because that sounded way too much like Dangerous at the time?
2. Why didn't he go for a more contemporary sound for Invincible, because that sounded way too much like what Timbaland and Jerkins were famous for years before?

1.Why didn't he innovate his sounds for the History album and remix the (Dangerous) songs for BOTDF, because that sounded way too much like Dangerous at the time?
The focus for HIStory was the lyrical content, not so much the sonic character. Obviously it progressed and I think it sounds way fresher still than Dangerous (Hot Take maybe), but the most change was the lack of Teddy Riley basically.

As for BOTDF, even less focus, everything about that project did feel like a back to the wall.

2. Why didn't he go for a more contemporary sound for Invincible, because that sounded way too much like what Timbaland and Jerkins were famous for years before?

Because he wasn't with The Neptune's and Kanye wasn't there yet.

Please fact check what you say or state it as your opinion to avoid misinformation
Michael Jackson wanted to present an urban, street sound with that album, hence the inclusion of so many new jack swing tracks on it.

But there are several issues concerning the 'Dangerous' album in general, among others:

Including a cover song (i.e., 'Gone Too Soon') was an unwise move on his part because cover songs have no place in an album that was being promoted at the time as one of his most creative efforts.

Including so simple and childish lyrics (like, 'Can't Let Her Get Away', 'Remember The Time', etc) was again an unwise move on his part, for the same reason.

Including 'Heal The World' was another unwise move on his part, and as music critic Chris Willman noted, this song sounds saccharine, and thus it was better suited for the American female singer Barbra Streisand.

Including so simple and childish lyrics (like, 'Can't Let Her Get Away', 'Remember The Time', etc) was again an unwise move on his part, for the same reason.
"If only his lyrical prose had been as boring and droll as my nonsensical, consistently error-laden intuitions on music with a group of peers who largely are agitated by my presence."

JT has never left Timbaland, to his detriment. mJ left Quincy to his brilliance. Leave it alone.
Honestly, I'm glad at this point that Michael left Quincy. Don't get me wrong, I think Quincy is amazing at what he does, but he's also a jealous opportunist.

Lol I'm not even gonna start on Justin Timberlake, all I'll say is that I'm not exactly a fan.

I really wonder what Quincy would have done on Dangerous, he might also have gave it some sort of New Jack Swing flavour, since he proved as no other with Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad that he could adjust and stay relevant and innovative

It doesn’t happen often with me and modern pop music but JT’s 2nd and 3rd album were great imo. His first and 4th album did. Nothing for me.

Sorry to speak like that but I can’t remember the album titles at the moment lol

I wished 'Invincible' should have been more like Justin Timberlake's 'FutureSex/LoveSounds' album: soul combined with electro/ambient

I really wonder what Quincy would have done on Dangerous, he might also have gave it some sort of New Jack Swing flavour, since he proved as no other with Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad that he could adjust and stay relevant and innovative
Quincy did New Jack Swing, and it was not good.

Not as good as Dangerous at least.

The way people talk about MJ's work on Dangerous is the way other people's music actually sounded. They don't realize he was ahead of the game even then.

I'm leaving Dangerous a new jack album. It's what made Dangerous so damn good.

If anything, I'm replacing a couple tracks with better options.

1. Jam
2. In The Closet
3. Serious Effect
4. Remember The Time
5. Can't Let Her Get Away
6. Keep The Faith
7. Come Together (full version)
8. Black Or White (radio/single version)
9. Who Is It
10. Give In To Me
11. Will You Be There (cut the intro down. It's way to long IMO)
12. Gone Too Soon
13. Dangerous
14. Someone Put Your Hand Out

He would have let him grow even more and shine with his (MJs) own compositions on Dangerous. Just my two cents.

Quincy Jones would certainly not have allowed Michael Jackson to cram the 'Dangerous' album with unnecessary and pointless stuff.

Such as, the spoken intro of 'Heal The World', the spoken intro of 'Black Or White', the Beethoven prelude of 'Will You Be There', and so on.

Also, with Quincy Jones, the 'Dangerous' album would have been more cohesive musically (rather than being all over the place with all these musical genres).

Slave To The Rhythm
Blood On The Dancefloor
Black Or White
Remember The Time
For All Time
Will You Be There (with shortened intro)
Give In To Me
Who Is It
Keep The Faith
Come Together
Mind Is The Magic
Heal The World
Dangerous (Original version)

Dangerous without New Jack Swing:

1. Serious Effect
2. Slave To The Rhythm
3. For All Time
4. Come Together
5. If You Don't Love Me
6. She Got It
7. Heal The World
8. Black Or White
9. Who Is It
10. Give In To Me
11. Will You Be There
12. Keep The Faith
13. Gone Too Soon
14. Dangerous (Early Version)

If Dangerous didn't sound like it did with the producer he worked with, you'd be changing the course of history completely ..Cannot imagine a world without it.
I don't think Dangerous would have made as a strong impact as it did , It hit everywhere and everyone else out. ..because a prolific njs sound was the core of that album. Didn't last that long, but when he hit with it , it was like a sucker punch.

If Dangerous didn't sound like it did with the producer he worked with, you'd be changing the course of history completely ..Cannot imagine a world without it.
I don't think Dangerous would have made as a strong impact as it did , It hit everywhere and everyone else out. ..because a prolific njs sound was the core of that album. Didn't last that long, but when he hit with it , it was like a sucker punch.
why are you looking sad at me?
this thread wasn't my idea.
I only tried to create an album for @filmandmusic .

Back