Dancing With The Stars Final 4: Corbin Bleu Dishes On Michael Jackson Themed Freestyle

qbee

Proud Member
Dancing With The Stars Final 4: Corbin Bleu Dishes On Michael Jackson Themed Freestyle

corbin-bleu-600.jpg

Corbin Bleu and his "Dancing" partner Karina Smirnoff explain to Access why they don't feel like the frontrunners in the "Dancing with the Stars" Finals. Also, the duo chats about why their doing a Michael Jackson themed freestyle.

I saw it.. they were good.. They did the Smooth Criminal performance along with the lean... They got all 10's.. 30 points!!

I saw it.. they were good.. They did the Smooth Criminal performance along with the lean... They got all 10's.. 30 points!!

Yep! I watched it too. I thought they did really good.
Apparently so did the judges! :D They also did the moon walk.

I liked what Karina and Corbin had to say about MJ. MJ= decades of inspiration.

video of the dance, watch it till the end to see what Corbin says about Michael.

Thank you Ivy for finding the video of their performance. Wow That was so great.:woohoo:
I'm so proud of moments like these. :heart:

Shit, I really loved how they dropped in 'by helicopter' at the start :D

Made me realise once again just how much I miss Michael. They did him proud.

They did great job with Smooth Criminal routine including the lean :clapping:
I liked the way they kept so much of the original dance and added other Michael's signature moves to it.

I agree...the helicopter move was cool.
Again, they both did really well, but that Corbin was gettin' it eh?!! Lol!
And you know they must have been pretty dang good for Len Goodman to give a standing "O".
Wonderful words from Corbin as well.

Ivy, TYSM for posting the video. I enjoyed it again.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20760324,00.html?xid=rss-topheadlines

Corbin Bleu: I Get 'Goose Bumps' Recalling When Michael Jackson Liked My Dancing

Not only were the judges in awe of Corbin Bleu and Karina Smirnoff's Michael Jackson-centric freestyle routine on Monday night's Dancing with the Stars – but it sounds like the King of Pop himself would have enjoyed the number if he were still alive.

"He came to the High School Musical concert in Vegas," Bleu told reporters backstage after learning he'd successfully made it through Monday night. "When I went and did my bit in the concert, Kenny [Oretga, the choreographer] leaned over and said, 'Michael leaned over to [me] and said, who is that? And I said, 'That's Corbin Bleu.' And Michael said, 'He's good.' I still get goose bumps thinking about it. It was one of the coolest things for me."

Calling his encounter with the icon "the highlight of my life," Bleu describes Jackson as having "such a presence," explaining, "He's extremely tall [and] he's got big ol' hands when you shake them."

Now that the tough MJ number is out of the way, Bleu tells PEOPLE that going into Tuesday's season finale "I feel the major storm has passed. We still have something to go do before tomorrow, but that freestyle has been the bane of our existence this week."

WOW, absolutely amazing. and man everyone always says Michael has such a presence about him. Michael baby there was just something about you.

Vincent Paterson is mad at Travis Payne and Dancing With The Stars

From his Facebook:

Vincent Paterson

PLEASE SHARE THIS POST.
THIS THIEVERY MUST STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is on my mind this morning is how TRAVIS PAYNE STOLE MY CHOREOGRAPHY FOR SMOOTH CRIMINAL on DWTS. He is a thief.
He took credit for my work.
I AM AN ARTIST AND MY WORK IS ALL I HAVE.

To not only watch him STEAL my work but to have the uniformed or misinformed contestant on the show say "This is incredible to have the guy who taught MJ these moves teach them to us!"
How dare both TRAVIS PAYNE and DWTS.
This is not the first time TRAVIS has stolen my work. He did for the 2 Cirque shows he "choreographed."
This is unforgivable thievery.
I never even hired Travis to DANCE in Smooth Criminal.
If this show cares so much about dance, they should not allow this kind of thievery and lies to be told to the viewers.

From Corbin Bleu's Instagram account:

"I just wanted to rectify a miscommunication on DWTS last night. Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal was Choreographed by Vincent Paterson. I had actually stated that when we were showing the package for the show but the edit just states we were working with "MJ's choreographer" and "Travis taught MJ his moves". Travis Payne did Choreograph for MJ, but not Smooth Criminal. Travis helped us learn Vincent's choreography as well as some of his own. Thank you to #TravisPayne for your amazing help with our number! And thank you to @VincentPaterson for your iconic works."

And why do these people and specially Travis take credit for Michael´s moves? It always sounds like they came up with it and "taught" Michael. I thought it was a collaboration..

Re: Vincent Paterson is mad at Travis Payne and Dancing With The Stars

From his Facebook:
Vincent Paterson

PLEASE SHARE THIS POST.
THIS THIEVERY MUST STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is on my mind this morning is how TRAVIS PAYNE STOLE MY CHOREOGRAPHY FOR SMOOTH CRIMINAL on DWTS. He is a thief.
He took credit for my work.
I AM AN ARTIST AND MY WORK IS ALL I HAVE.

To not only watch him STEAL my work but to have the uniformed or misinformed contestant on the show say "This is incredible to have the guy who taught MJ these moves teach them to us!"
How dare both TRAVIS PAYNE and DWTS.
This is not the first time TRAVIS has stolen my work. He did for the 2 Cirque shows he "choreographed."
This is unforgivable thievery.
I never even hired Travis to DANCE in Smooth Criminal.
If this show cares so much about dance, they should not allow this kind of thievery and lies to be told to the viewers.

From Corbin Bleu's Instagram account:
"I just wanted to rectify a miscommunication on DWTS last night. Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal was Choreographed by Vincent Paterson. I had actually stated that when we were shooing the package for the show but the edit just states we were working with "MJ's choreographer" and "Travis taught MJ his moves". Travis Payne did Choreograph for MJ, but not Smooth Criminal. Travis helped us learn Vincent's choreography as well as some of his own. Thank you to #TravisPayne for your amazing help with our number! And thank you to @VincentPaterson for your iconic works."

I was a little confused there for a minute.
I guess he cleared that up. :/

That was a jacked up edit.

O/T: You joined MJJC in 2011? I thought you were here before MJ passed.[]

Sorry

Re: Vincent Paterson is mad at Travis Payne and Dancing With The Stars

O/T: You joined MJJC in 2011? I thought you were here before MJ passed.[]

Sorry

I joined in 2009 but there was some server break down that messed up the join dates somehow.

I was aware Vincent Patterson coreographed Smooth Criminal but I thought Michael collaborated as well. If that was a misunderstanding, Travis Payne should clarify it as well. Anyhow, it was nice tribute from Corbin.

Vincent collaborated with Michael on a number of videos with his first encounter as the blonde gang leader in Beat It and then as a dancing zombie in the groundbreaking Thriller video.

Although Vincent’s early work with Michael was notable, one of his greatest contributions to the legend of MJ came in 1987 when he collaborated and choreographed the epic music video Smooth Criminal.

Vincent gave a behind the scenes view of the making of this memorable video. And if you’ve tried any of these moves yourself on the Michael Jackson Experience Wii game, then you know it’s not nearly as easy as they make it look, especially when it comes to that gravity defying lean that no one has been able to figure out. You’ll have to read on to see if Vincent talks.

I had danced with MJ in two videos. I was the gang leader in Beat It, and a zombie dancer in Thriller, as well as being the assistant choreographer for Michael Peters. I was at home one night and got a phone call. A very soft voice asked for Vincent Paterson. I thought it was someone playing a joke on me, using a voice like Michael Jackson. “Who’s calling? “ I asked. “It’s Michael Jackson,” was the reply. “Who the hell is this?” I asked. Same response. “I’m gonna hang the f*** phone up if you don’t tell me who is calling,“ I said. It really was Michael Jackson. I profusely apologized.

MJ was working on his latest CD at a recording studio in Hollywood and asked if I could stop by. I rushed over hoping he wanted to ask me to dance in another video. We went into the studio and he played the music to “Smooth Criminal” for me, and asked me what I thought. I loved it. He then asked me if I could come up with an idea for the video and would I choreograph and direct it. I was floored and honored and excited beyond belief.

MJ suggested a swanky club with 10 men in long tails and top hats. But he wanted me to conceive my own ideas and he also gave me advice I have used ever since, “Don’t try to impose an idea on the music. Let the music tell you what it wants to be.”

I knew Michael liked the movies of Fred Astaire, so I researched movement from Astaire’s musicals, usually choreographed by Hermes Pan. Michael was in the recording studio during much of my initial creative process with the dancers. He gave me a soundstage on which he had had a wooden floor constructed for the safety of the dancers. The bottom floor of the set that we had discussed was on the soundstage. He also gave me an incredible sound system, a video camera and 10 dancers with whom to begin choreography.

Every morning, we would have a dance class, then I would begin to choreograph movement on the dance floor and then move the dancers into the set. At the end of the day I would video what I had done. I would go to Michael’s house and we would watch the work. MJ usually said, “That is really great. I think you need 10 more dancers.” I would hire more dancers and the daily routine would begin again. This happened until I had a second floor built on the set and had hired about 50 or so dancers to be in the video.

I don’t remember exactly how long the process went on, but I would say for about a month or 6 weeks. What began as a music video became part of the film, Moonwalker. I worked with Michael to extend the song and it became a 10 minute piece in the movie. After creating the piece, I worked with MJ alone. His rehearsal technique was mind-boggling. I would teach him a section I had choreographed, he would play with some of the rhythms and we would adjust the movement. Then Michael would stand in front of a mirror and perform one section of dance over and over and over until it was not only perfect, but also looked as if he was improvising the work at that moment. He had ceaseless energy and focus.

How was Jackson to work with in the collaborative process?

I adored Michael as an artist and as a collaborator. He trusted me. I would create the movement for him and the dancers—every dancer is moving on every beat throughout this entire song. I would leave space for MJ to create his own movement and do his thing. He worked hard to come up with his own specific way of moving and I wanted to always afford him the opportunity to highlight his dancing.

In all the years I worked with Mike–over 16 years, I never heard him say anything cruel or unkind to anyone. In the collaborative process he would always say to someone, “This is very good, but I was thinking we could try something a little more like this…” Whether this was about costumes, sets, lights, whatever. He was a unique and brilliant man and he will always be missed. He was gone too soon.

http://boomitude.com/features/michael-jacksons-moves.html

When you put it in perspective, I can see why Vincent Paterson gets a little defensive about the dance to Smooth Criminal!

smooth1.jpg

If I may say so, Dancing with the stars AUSTRALIA featured a huge MJ fan, the famous magician and illusionist, Cosentino. This is one example of his MJ inspired dancing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfB0gYVlERc

AND, he went on to win the competition.

He incorporates a lot of MJ moves in his shows, which are pretty popular in Aus at the moment.

Cosentino is huge here in Australia, and his magic shows are always sell outs. His combination of Michael moves and his magic are a winning combination. He has now won two major talent shows and is a big star - he never fails to attribute that to Michael. Mike would have LOVED his shows.

Virre;3933921 said:
And why do these people and specially Travis take credit for Michael´s moves? It always sounds like they came up with it and "taught" Michael. I thought it was a collaboration..

Because in this instance, the collaboration was between Michael and Vincent...

I'm surprised....that's was pretty awesome and they through everything into the dance INCLUDING the kitchen sink......mj would be proud I'm sure

Virre;3933921 said:

Did anyone watch Spike's Bad 25 after all:)
SC choreography was between MJ, Vincent Patterson and Jeffrey Daniels.

Back