Did Michael Have Any Opinions About Nirvana?

PoP

Proud Member
Country
Canada
One of my friends in Picarto.TV asked me about Michael’s opinions about Nirvana and never heard any stories like that. And another confirmed to me about Kurt Cobain respected Michael greatly like he had a drawing and a t-shirt of Michael. Does anybody have stories they heard about what Michael thinks of the band? Unless there’s another thread like that.

Re: Does have Michael have any opinions about Nirvana?

I heard Michael liked it them but i'm not sure if that's true or not.

Michael Jackson never expressed publicly any opinions about Nirvana.

But he did have a good opinion about the band’s drummer Dave Grohl because he asked from him in the early 00’s to play the drums on his ‘Another Day’ song which was meant for inclusion on his ‘Invincible’ album (Dave Grohl agreed and he played the drums on that song).

Apart from the Kurt Cobain’s drawing and the T-shirt of Michael Jackson, there is also the incident when Kurt Cobain was asked about what he thought regarding Michael Jackson’s allegations when they broke out in 1993.

Kurt Cobain did not seem to believe the allegations and he also said that he just felt really sorry for him.

mj_frenzy;4308460 said:
Michael Jackson never expressed publicly any opinions about Nirvana.

But he did have a good opinion about the band’s drummer Dave Grohl because he asked from him in the early 00’s to play the drums on his ‘Another Day’ song which was meant for inclusion on his ‘Invincible’ album (Dave Grohl agreed and he played the drums on that song).

Apart from the Kurt Cobain’s drawing and the T-shirt of Michael Jackson, there is also the incident when Kurt Cobain was asked about what he thought regarding Michael Jackson’s allegations when they broke out in 1993.

Kurt Cobain did not seem to believe the allegations and he also said that he just felt really sorry for him.

While your right about all of this for once, there is one problem. According to Dave Grohl himself in this interview from 2011 (https://www.nme.com/news/music/foo-fighters-313-1280652), after recording the drum track, he was not contacted afterwards and as such, his drum track was not included in the final mix.

Also, here's the Nirvana interview where Michael Jackson is brought up:
[video]https://youtube.com/watch?v=VhBfYB1JRmQ?t=284[/video]

One last thing, here's a picture of both Cobain and Grohl wearing a shirt with Michael Jackson on it: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3f/41/5c/3f415c21fffe0631e6c81edc3b27c1ff.jpg

Last edited:
SRT99;4308492 said:
While your right about all of this for once, there is one problem. According to Dave Grohl himself in this interview from 2011 (https://www.nme.com/news/music/foo-fighters-313-1280652), after recording the drum track, he was not contacted afterwards and as such, his drum track was not included in the final mix.

Also, here's the Nirvana interview where Michael Jackson is brought up:
[video]https://youtube.com/watch?v=VhBfYB1JRmQ?t=284[/video]

One last thing, here's a picture of both Cobain and Grohl wearing a shirt with Michael Jackson on it: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3f/41/5c/3f415c21fffe0631e6c81edc3b27c1ff.jpg

Dave Grohl confirmed at one point that he played the drums on the ‘Another Day’ song.

I do not have his exact quotes at hand, but he did confirm that.

This means that at least an early version/mix of that song includes his drum track (which basically is what I already wrote about that in my above post).

mj_frenzy;4308667 said:
Dave Grohl confirmed at one point that he played the drums on the ‘Another Day’ song.

I do not have his exact quotes at hand, but he did confirm that.

This means that at least an early version/mix of that song includes his drum track (which basically is what I already wrote about that in my above post).

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I know he did the drums, but they weren't in the final mix.

Also, is this the quote you're talking about:

"That was messed up actually. Lenny Kravitz – who I only met once – called and asked if I want to play drums on a track. I said, ‘Sure’, played drums on it and I never heard from them again. On the sleeve notes it says ‘Michael Jackson featuring Lenny Kravtiz and Dave Grohl’ but they didn’t use any of my recordings. That’s not cool."

Because it seems to be the only one I can find from that Red Bull interview, and all other websites that talk about it just quote it and such.

Last edited:
SRT99;4308692 said:
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I know he did the drums, but they weren't in the final mix.

Also, is this the quote you're talking about:

Because it seems to be the only one I can find from that Red Bull interview, and all other websites that talk about it just quote it and such.

I am referring to this Dave Grohl’s quote:

“ ...So Lenny [Kravitz] sends over the track, and I sit down with Butch Vig and we record all this huge f-cking shit. I sent it to Lenny and he's like: "Dude, this is going to be awesome." I'm like: "I'm on a Michael Jackson track!" So a month goes by, and another, and another, and I still haven't heard anything from anyone. Finally, I hear the song online. You know what they used? One snare hit. That's it. I don't know who's playing drums on it, but it ain't me. It says: 'Featuring Dave Grohl'. And it's like: "It does? I can't hear me in that!" It's funny…” (Dave Grohl, Classic Rock)

Basically, he reiterates the same thing here, and the only difference is that he gets into more details about the whole ‘Another Day’ song situation and his involvement into that song.

No Dave Grohl listed in the booklet of my European "Michael" CD from 2010.

edit...

Sorry, Dave Grohl actually IS in the credits (I should have read the booket until the very end).

There is no "Featuring Dave Grohl" anywhere, but it says:

"Drums: Dave Grohl, Drum Programming and noise: Dave Barron and Lenny Kravitz"

Looks like they just chopped up samples from Grohl's recording (such as the snare drum that he mentions in that Classic Rock quote) and reprogrammed the beat with that. So Grohl ended up just providing the/a drum sound/s, but not the actual drum playing.

It always seemed though that those drums where added only after Michael's death when Lenny finished the song, not during the Invincible sessions. At least the snippet that leaked shortly after Michaels passing had no such real drums, but only that noisy electronic drum loop (which I liked much better).

Last edited:
I don't think kurt liked anyone too much

Last edited:
Really weird they would go to the effort of cutting up his drumming instead of just using the drumming he created specifically for the track.

Back