Did Michael Jackson wore a wig?

Richard76

Heartbreaker
Country
Russia
As far as I know after Pepsi incident, MJ lost some of his hair on the top of the head, so he used to wear a little bit of wig and hat to hide it. But some people claims, that after his death it was revealed, that MJ was almost fully bald and that he wore a full wig all the time till his end...

I'm not sure how much hair he had but the long hair in the 2000s wasn't real.

I am sure the long hair he had starting from the Bad tour was a wig.

This video has some details from Carol Lamere, his hairstylist and she claims its mostly hair extensions and hair pieces rather than wigs. I don't know how much of it is true or authentic.

Side note: Does anyone know about this channel - 'the detail', it keeps popping up on my YT suggestions and I cannot decide if there is any authenticity in the videos they make about Michael.

Side note: Does anyone know about this channel - 'the detail', it keeps popping up on my YT suggestions and I cannot decide if there is any authenticity in the videos they make about Michael.
I used to follow the detail but I recently unfollowed it. I don’t consider myself especially knowledgeable about Michael despite my constant reading and research about him, simply because I haven’t been a fan that long. But I have found multiple false claims, exaggerations, or misrepresentations in videos I have seen. Don’t get me wrong, there are a ton of great videos also. The quality of the videos is often quite high, especially the more documentary style ones. But they don’t always cite sources and they have a lot of videos that focus on tabloid garbage and that turns me off a lot.

That said, I know a lot of fans really like their content. So this is just my feeling about it. Others may disagree.

I will say, I listened to the entire MJcast interview with Carol Lamere and what you said is consistent with what she said there. She was also very adamant that he had much less surgery than people think and explained some stuff related to that, but didn’t go fully into it out of respect for Michael. But other than that stuff, tbh, I actually found her to be very odd in the interview and she didn’t sound credible to me all the time. I don’t know how to explain it. Something about her vibe just really rubbed me the wrong way. Idk if anyone else has listened to that interview and has thoughts on it, but I’d love to know how other people perceived her. That may be a discussion for another thread though.

I used to follow the detail but I recently unfollowed it. I don’t consider myself especially knowledgeable about Michael despite my constant reading and research about him, simply because I haven’t been a fan that long. But I have found multiple false claims, exaggerations, or misinformation in videos I have seen. Don’t get me wrong, there are a ton of great videos also. The quality of the videos is often quite high, especially the more documentary style ones. But they don’t always cite sources and they have a lot of videos that focus on tabloid garbage and that turns me off a lot.
yes, I also found it a mixed bag of content.

Getting back to hair, its good to know Carol is consistent. I had my doubts about the way some of her claims come across - never did X, but then if anything she said was false, it seems it was to protect Michael. Honestly I don't care if he wore wigs, extensions, false hair, no hair.

Getting back to hair, its good to know Carol is consistent. I had my doubts about the way some of her claims come across - never did X, but then if anything she said was false, it seems it was to protect Michael.
That's the thing - I think she was definitely interested in protecting his privacy when it came to his hair, makeup, and appearance in general, which I appreciated. But her vibe as a person just felt weird to me. I didn't find her particularly likable (not that this matters lol) and I just felt sort of uneasy with her. That's the only thing that makes me question her claims at all. Just the feeling I had listening to her. Hard to explain.
Honestly I don't care if he wore wigs, extensions, false hair, no hair.
Totally agree with this.

so after pepsi accident he lost all of his hair? i just can't understand... I thought he only lost little lock of hair from the top... Are there any photo where he is not wearing a wig?

so after pepsi accident he lost all of his hair? i just can't understand... I thought he only lost little lock of hair from the top... Are there any photo where he is not wearing a wig?

The top of his head went on fire. I'm pretty sure he tried medical procedures (ballooning) to try and recover his hair but it seems it was ultimately not very successful and extensions were used until the point where he had to use wigs.

Last edited:
He didn't lose all of his hair. But he had a prominent bald spot in the middle of his head where he got burnt.

He didn't lose all of his hair. But he had a prominent bald spot in the middle of his head where he got burnt.
That sounds about right, after that incident they possibly tried to do some skin grafting on his scalp, of course which must have been excruciatingly painful, and over the course of healing there was still a lot of pain. Over the years, and with Carol as his hair stylist, there were usages of hair extensions to make his hair more voluminous/full and alternating with hair pieces as well. At least in an effort to try to blend with his hair line and have some naturalness to it.

The top of his head went on fire. I'm pretty sure he tried medical procedures (ballooning) to try and recover his hair but it seems it was ultimately not very successful and extensions were used until the point where he had to use wigs.
but during this is it reherseal, he wasn't wearing any wig... right?

That sounds about right, after that incident they possibly tried to do some skin grafting on his scalp, of course which must have been excruciatingly painful, and over the course of healing there was still a lot of pain. Over the years, and with Carol as his hair stylist, there were usages of hair extensions to make his hair more voluminous/full and alternating with hair pieces as well. At least in an effort to try to blend with his hair line and have some naturalness to it.
so. he started wearing a wig by the end of 90s.... for example on this is it announcement he was in a wig?

okay. if i get it right. on these pics MJ is wearing a wig.... right?
AP090305017338
5f4af86b35287a2a008952170512526f.jpg
Michael-Jackson-L-uomo-Vogue-October-2007-michael-jackson-13868985-462-4621.jpg

merlin_149993034_6c8bd7bc-8a38-4f7c-8696-dcb19800ef58-superJumbo.jpg

That's the thing - I think she was definitely interested in protecting his privacy when it came to his hair, makeup, and appearance in general, which I appreciated. But her vibe as a person just felt weird to me. I didn't find her particularly likable (not that this matters lol) and I just felt sort of uneasy with her. That's the only thing that makes me question her claims at all. Just the feeling I had listening to her. Hard to explain.

Totally agree with this.

I had the same feelings while listening to Carole at the MJCast. She had a weird attitude. It really is hard to explain but she seemed cold to me but who am I to judge lol. What I did not like was that she sold MJ hairpieces on ebay..................

He wore hair extensions during the Bad and Dangerous era, but from HIStory and onwards it was a wig.

Last edited:
I had the same feelings while listening to Carole at the MJCast. She had a weird attitude. It really is hard to explain but she seemed cold to me but who am I to judge lol.
Yeah, that's kind of how I feel. I appreciate you sharing this because I felt kinda bad after I said it. But it's just a weird feeling I was getting while listening. A couple times I sensed the MJCast guys might have felt the same way. But who knows. Anyway, you're right. We have no room to judge! Just relieved it wasn't only me that felt something was kinda off.
What I did not like was that she sold MJ hairpieces on ebay..................
OH, I completely forgot about this. I hate this. Again, don't want to judge. People do what they do. She had a real world connection to him, not me. But it makes me really unhappy to imagine this. Feels very...dehumanizing, or something. Idk. I doubt he even wanted people to know about this stuff, let alone own pieces of it. Ugh.

7315a603425c25606eb3d14961dbdda9.jpg

what about invincible era? Is that a wig too? Or its Michael's real hair?
f68dvyyaoob41.jpeg
Michael-Jackson-Invincible-Era-invincible-era-32317482-620-430.jpg
909-9097105_michael-jackson-photoshoot.png
At any point after 1995 it was a wig, he still had a bit of hair at the back and front of his head but other than that he was completely bald.

At any point after 1995 it was a wig, he still had a bit of hair at the back and front of his head but other than that he was completely bald.
are there any proof for that? i just don't want to get on another tabloid lie...

i thought, during this is it rehearsal he wasn't wearing any wig... just a little bit of hair extension on the top
c06a5114b6e4b343175eaef271021075.jpg

are there any proof for that? i just don't want to get on another tabloid lie...
It's on his autopsy report, it's stated that he had scars around his scalp and almost no hair on the sides.

That wig did reveal more of his natural hair, but it's still a wig entirely.
e3b51a10646b8364a0f6284c86d3208c.jpg
1*ieZn3udnbWZIHB-LPUmvGw.jpeg
I just don't understand how you tell if he's wearing a wig or just with hair extension....in my opinion on these two pics he has the same hairstyle, just using hair extension 😅

Back