[Discussion] Sexual Abuse Claims Against MJ Estate - Robson/ Safechuck/ Doe

Re: [Discussion] Wade Robson files claim of sexual abuse against MJ-Estate

So who ended up in the mini series--a White boy or an African American?

Of course, African-American kids played Michael (more kids at different ages):

Alex Burall (as Michael aged 6-8)

9402_alex_burrall_02.jpg

Jason Weaver (as Michael aged 9-14)

the-jacksons-an-american-dream-the-mini-series-2adb9.png

And adult Michael was played by Wylie Draper

Wylie_Draper_4ad4b09e67e59.jpg

I didnt know wade played MJ as a child in the commercial where when he sings with his child self.
MJ publically stated in an interview( I think Oprah) that he didn't use a white child. I thought that was just speculation by the media.

http://youtu.be/apsPr9EEogg

Yes, I am unclear about that too. MJ denied that a white boy was used to play him on Oprah (as 8701girl says). However, I read in other places that it was Wade--but how reliable the source was idk. The claim was that MJ's own face was superimposed over the boy's and some said the boy was Wade.

I found this on LSA, but the person posting got it from mjjc. It's from Inside Edition:

The Inside Story on life in Michael Jackson's shadow (1995) | On with the show-Showbiz News - Entertainment Industry-Australian Entertainers

"While Michael was their friend, he never interfered with Wade’s career … only to offer advice, but the ultimate decision was Joy and Wades’. However, their lives became virtually `public property’ overnight around the world when the news broke that young Wade was the `white boy’ appearing as Michael Jackson in the controversial Pepsi Commercial. As a result, the commercial was screened only in the countries Michael visited on his `Dangerous’ tour – and not in the USA.

Meanwhile, the Robson family’s lives were thrown into chaos as press from around the world hounded them for the `inside story’.

Variety Today actually had the World Exclusive six months earlier when, having followed the young performer’ career, it published the fact that Wade was the Aussie boy in the commercial.

However, it wasn’t until the commercial was released that international media attention turned to the Robsons. “We were in Australia when the news broke and when we returned to LA the press wouldn’t leave us alone. They tried to get us through out agents, were repeatedly knocking on our door, posed as couriers, followed us everywhere. It was quite scary,” said Joy.

As a result, the family had to move from their West Hollywood apartment, and change all their numbers to bring a little sanity and privacy back into their lives. “Universal Studios did a search to find who did the Pepsi commercial and later were interested in doing a movie based on Wade’s life,” said Joy, still shaking her head in disbelief at being the centre of a media frenzy. It was, indeed, a little different to their much quieter lifestyle in suburban Brisbane."

jamba;3880968 said:
Yes, I am unclear about that too. MJ denied that a white boy was used to play him on Oprah (as 8701girl says). However, I read in other places that it was Wade--but how reliable the source was idk. The claim was that MJ's own face was superimposed over the boy's and some said the boy was Wade.

The pic of the boy who played Michael was posted earlier in this thread. It's not Wade at all! Maybe this myth came from the fact that Joy tried to push Wade into the commercial but it's definitely not him who ended up with the role.

I also wonder how manipulative Joy is.

"As a result, the family had to move from their West Hollywood apartment, and change all their numbers to bring a little sanity and privacy back into their lives. “Universal Studios did a search to find who did the Pepsi commercial and later were interested in doing a movie based on Wade’s life,” said Joy

It's hard to believe to me that a big studio was interested in doing a movie based on Wade's life in 1995. And of course there was no movie made either. She said this on Inside Edition, right? Why would you go to Inside Edition, a tabloid show, if you try to get away from publicity? I wonder if Joy deliberately used these rumours over the commercial to get themselves in the spotlight and raise interest in Wade...

Respect I don't understand what happened. Let's see: African American boys played Michel, so how come the media attacked Michael for putting a white boy to represent him? Did Wade act as young Michel in a Pepsi commercial that was shown outside the US, and is it this commercial that the press attacked Michael with? Write back to Confused.

Respect I don't understand what happened. Let's see: African American boys played Michel, so how come the media attacked Michael for putting a white boy to represent him? Did Wade act as young Michel in a Pepsi commercial that was shown outside the US, and is it this commercial that the press attacked Michael with? Write back to Confused.

I think what maybe happened was that Joy one day appeared on the set of the commercial saying that Wade would play little Michael at Michael's request. Like a mother (who soulds like Joy) did at the set of An American Dream, according to Margaret Maldonado. At the end Michael's people might have clarified that it was not Michael's intention but by then people on the set could run away with the rumor that MJ "wanted" a white boy to play him. And it became an urban legend. Maybe it did not happen at the set of the Pepsi commercial at all, just at American Dream and the media just mixed up the two.

In any case, it's just the media being sloppy and lazy once again, IMO. Anyone can check out that commercial. Is that a white boy in it? But since it wasn't played on US TV apparently the US media could get away with spreading this rumor.

To me it's crazy how even such hard core facts as the fact that the boy in the commercial is black can be questioned by some in the media. And that then this urban myth can go on for decades, though it takes about 2 minutes to check out whether that is so or not.

Here's the link to the full article where it talks about the Pepsi commercial (I quoted a bit of it earlier).

http://onwiththeshow.com.au/the-inside-story-on-life-in-michael-jacksons-shadow-1995/

It seems weird to me that Joy could get away with making this claim if it wasn't true. Maybe the Pepsi commercial was re-shot b/c of the controversy (a la TDCAU???)

Respect thanks for clearing up. ^^ I never looked at the series, & didn't pay attention to media much, so I did not know what the issue was about. I loved that footage in the video above with Michael at the piano.

Was anyone able to find out if Wade had any unstable behaviors around early teens or in his early 20s. I would really like to know what happened during his teenage years. Sometimes youth with developing mental issues have little incidents around pre-teen/teen years. If we could find out what was happening to him mentally much earlier than this "collapse," we could show that Wade had breakdowns way before. I guess Wade went to school in the US.

Jamba wouldn't his people would know if it was reshot.

Respect thanks for clearing up. ^^ I never looked at the series, & didn't pay attention to media much, so I did not know what the issue was about.

It's on YouTube. I think it's pretty good, it's worth watching. Part 1 (the rest are there as well): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naB_p22vAfI

Was anyone able to find out if Wade had any unstable behaviors around early teens or in his early 20s. I would really like to know what happened during his teenage years. Sometimes youth with developing mental issues have little incidents around pre-teen/teen years. If we could find out what was happening to him mentally much earlier than this "collapse," we could show that Wade had breakdowns way before. I guess Wade went to school in the US.

I think most mental illness only appears in adult life, some only in one's 30s. But I also think the way Joy pushed him just as much not healthy for him as it wasn't healthy for MJ to be a child star. Showbiz tends to scar children. In a way Wade too had a lost childhood because of his mother's ambition.

I remember seeing this lil footage what i think is a pepsi commercial from the late 80s with mj in it and this lil boy (whos white) dressed up like a mini mj

Yes, but it's not just an 'urban legend' b/c Joy is being interviewed (see the link I gave above) and goes on and on about how Wade was in the Pepsi commercial etc. The article also cites other magazines that ran the stoy (Variety). So my question is if Joy was lying, why didn't MJ or his manager issue a statement? All we have is the denial on Oprah. There is more to this than an urban legend IMO b/c either Joy is a gigantic liar and MJ did not, for whatever reason, refute her lies (except on Oprah) and issue a press release to that effect, or the story has some truth to it. That's why I said maybe he re-shot the commercial, but idk what is the truth here. Why would Joy lie about this if it never happened that Wade was in the commercial?? Makes no sense to me.

@ Jamba

This is exactly what is said in the article

While Michael was their friend, he never interfered with Wade’s career … only to offer advice, but the ultimate decision was Joy and Wades’. However, their lives became virtually `public property’ overnight around the world when the news broke that young Wade was the `white boy’ appearing as Michael Jackson in the controversial Pepsi Commercial. As a result, the commercial was screened only in the countries Michael visited on his `Dangerous’ tour – and not in the USA.
Meanwhile, the Robson family’s lives were thrown into chaos as press from around the world hounded them for the `inside story’.
Variety Today actually had the World Exclusive six months earlier when, having followed the young performer’ career, it published the fact that Wade was the Aussie boy in the commercial.
However, it wasn’t until the commercial was released that international media attention turned to the Robsons. “We were in Australia when the news broke and when we returned to LA the press wouldn’t leave us alone. They tried to get us through out agents, were repeatedly knocking on our door, posed as couriers, followed us everywhere. It was quite scary,” said Joy.
As a result, the family had to move from their West Hollywood apartment, and change all their numbers to bring a little sanity and privacy back into their lives. “Universal Studios did a search to find who did the Pepsi commercial and later were interested in doing a movie based on Wade’s life,” said Joy, still shaking her head in disbelief at being the centre of a media frenzy. It was, indeed, a little different to their much quieter lifestyle in suburban Brisbane.

This suggests the commercial with Wade was released internationally and that's why the media followed them around. But has anyone ever seen a version with Wade in it? I live in Europe but I only ever saw the known version. And that boy in the known version of the commercial is definitely not Wade. Even if we would speculate maybe he is masked or something. I don't think so. The boy in the commercial is taller than Wade was at the time and has longer legs and arms.

So I have no idea why Joy says this and whether it makes sense or doesn't that she would lie about such a thing, but I believe what I see with my eyes. And what I see is that that boy is not Wade.

And Joy definitely seems very manipulative.

Variety Today is the same publication that published this interview, not another magazine. They just refer back to the fact that they reported it as an exclusive six months before. It seems it was some kind of go-to media for them. So who gave them the "world exclusive" six months before that Wade was the boy in the commercial? Likely it was Joy. Then she complains about how they are chased around by the media... I wouldn't be surprised if that was an exaggeration. Just like the claim that Universal Studios wanted to make a movie based on Wade's life.

ETA: This is Wade from the LA Gear commercial

Michael-Jackson-Wade-circa-1994-230x300.jpg

His body type is not at all like the boy's in the Pepsi commercial. That boy is taller, has longer legs and arms and thinner. Even if this LA Gear commercial was shot a year before Pepsi, Wade was rather a bit chubby child, not a slender one, like the boy in the commercial. So no, I don't believe in the body double speculation either.

Last edited:

^^^ How do we know MJ knew Joy had said this? It wasn't a major interview.

She could also defend it by claiming the mix up Margaret Maldonado did and that that was what she meant.

Respect thanks for clearing up. ^^ I never looked at the series, & didn't pay attention to media much, so I did not know what the issue was about. I loved that footage in the video above with Michael at the piano.

Jamba wouldn't his people would know if it was reshot.

He's taken lots of strange career "breaks" before 2009.

2003-2005 he mostly took a break from dancing and announced on his website and to interviewers that he was moving into film, he claimed he had a movie deal with Disney and was working on a 3 movie deal with them - this all fell through, none of that ever amounted to anything. Then he spoke later about how he had decided to take a break from his career with his future wife just to get a break from dancing as he'd been doing it all his life and spend that time being in love with her, ignoring the real reason he claimed he was doing it for at the time.

All along it seems his "breaks" went along with him hoping he'd finally make it on the big screen in some way and every single time this idea totally collapsed, never amounted to anything, and he failed at it.

What he's claiming is that being able to work on Step Up 4 was the first time he'd ever felt he could be as big as Spielberg, hence MJ's words haunted him and he broke down and couldn't do it - so he's trying to claim he would've had this breakdown if Step Up 4 had happened in 1999, 2000, 2001, etc etc etc. He's claiming he was unwilling to accept the abuse until only after the Step Up 4 breakdown because that was a big enough movie to make him realize he would be a huge success, like Spielberg.

So what happened with the Disney deal and the short movie he and his wife did in 2005 and the short movie he and his wife did in 2007 and the movie he and his wife were working on together 6 days a week in 2009, to the point he claimed he dropped other gigs like Britney in order to do? None of that triggered any Spielbergian prophecies? Why Step Up 4?

His mental illness DOES seem rooted deeply in this movie thing, that's the one thing Wade is being honest about.

Last edited:

I remember seeing this lil footage what i think is a pepsi commercial from the late 80s with mj in it and this lil boy (whos white) dressed up like a mini mj

That was Jimmy Safechuck.

About the commercial, now I understand this part of the Glenda tapes:

MJ: My commercial’s running now
G: What commercial?
MJ: (i)
G: Is it?
MJ: Yeah
G: I haven’t seen it, is it here?
MJ: Oh no, you won’t see it in the States.
G: Why?
MJ: Laughing
G: (Laughs) Why?

I never knew what he was talking about there.

@ Jamba

This is exactly what is said in the article

This suggests the commercial with Wade was released internationally and that's why the media followed them around. But has anyone ever seen a version with Wade in it? I live in Europe but I only ever saw the known version. And that boy in the known version of the commercial is definitely not Wade. Even if we would speculate maybe he is masked or something. I don't think so. The boy in the commercial is taller than Wade was at the time and has longer legs and arms.

So I have no idea why Joy says this and whether it makes sense or doesn't that she would lie about such a thing, but I believe what I see with my eyes. And what I see is that that boy is not Wade.

And Joy definitely seems very manipulative.

Variety Today is the same publication that published this interview, not another magazine. They just refer back to the fact that they reported it as an exclusive six months before. It seems it was some kind of go-to media for them. So who gave them the "world exclusive" six months before that Wade was the boy in the commercial? Likely it was Joy. Then she complains about how they are chased around by the media... I wouldn't be surprised if that was an exaggeration. Just like the claim that Universal Studios wanted to make a movie based on Wade's life.

ETA: This is Wade from the LA Gear commercial

Michael-Jackson-Wade-circa-1994-230x300.jpg

His body type is not at all like the boy's in the Pepsi commercial. That boy is taller, has longer legs and arms and thinner. Even if this LA Gear commercial was shot a year before Pepsi, Wade was rather a bit chubby child, not a slender one, like the boy in the commercial. So no, I don't believe in the body double speculation either.

Thanks so much, respect. This clarifies it. From looking at the article more closely, it seems that the suspicion that Wade was the boy is what sparked the media hounding them and Joy talks about how much this affected their lives--all the media attention--but she actually never states that Wade was in the commercial.

I read that it was the NYPost that came up with the 'white boy' in the Pepsi commercial first, but I don't have a link. Good point that the body shape is different.

jamba;3881611 said:
Thanks so much, respect. This clarifies it. From looking at the article more closely, it seems that the suspicion that Wade was the boy is what sparked the media hounding them and Joy talks about how much this affected their lives--all the media attention--but she actually never states that Wade was in the commercial.

Unless she was the source when Variety Today writes this:

And who else could have been? Variety Today seemed to be the Robson's go-to media when they wanted to promote Wade's career. Maybe Joy did tell them beforehand that Wade would play MJ in the commercial... Just like when Wade talks about certain projects as if they are already and definitely happening, but then it turns out they don't.

Yes, you are right, respect, they are stating this as a FACT. This must be where I got the impression Joy had directly said Wade was in the commercial. Maybe the NYPost picked it up from the Variety Today 'world exclusive." The general tone of the article is to say yes, it WAS Wade. It is so hard to undo all these things--like the Jesus Juice label--once they get taken up by the tabs. Plus we are going back to 92/3--20 years ago.

It would be good for my own knowledge to find out--was Wade ever in the commercial? If not, what role did Joy play in all this? And why did MJ laugh about this in the Glenda tapes? Laughter doesn't seem appropriate, does it? Or was MJ trying to say it doesn't matter if you're black or white so why shouldn't Wade play me as a child??

I think he laughed cuz the way the media and general public made such a hoopla bout it

We don't even know which commercial he's talking about on the Glenda tapes.

It's on YouTube. I think it's pretty good, it's worth watching. Part 1 (the rest are there as well): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naB_p22vAfI

I think most mental illness only appears in adult life, some only in one's 30s. But I also think the way Joy pushed him just as much not healthy for him as it wasn't healthy for MJ to be a child star. Showbiz tends to scar children. In a way Wade too had a lost childhood because of his mother's ambition.

Thanks but I don't want to watch it. It is not that I don't think it is good, but that I have no interest in looking at the story. Now if it was a concert then that would be another thing.

About the mental illness, when I read up some histories of clients with mental illness, I see that they all manifested themselves way before adult life. There is a screening where they are asked several questions about their childhood. When you read those you see that the problem was there long before adulthood. I have seen that, especially schizophrenia, showing up early during the time when the child is a teen. I think what may happen is that people seek help, or speak about their issues, later in life. However, I have been in contact with several young ones, especially teens and preteens. I also think that when they are younger, their behavior is labeled as "bad," "acting out," "moody," when all the time the person has a mental health issue. Then, don't forget those kids who don't like to mingle with the group and are always by themselves, who people claim are just anti-social, when all the time theyr have metal health issues, mainly the "social" disorder.

We don't even know which commercial he's talking about on the Glenda tapes.

It was a commercial that was airing in mid-late 1992, I had thought it was Pepsi Dreams as I thought this ad was aired in 1991.

He doesn't say much about it on the tapes, just that it won't air in the US.

The tapes are interesting though, as they were taped from 1990-1992 during Wade's supposed abuse and MJ obviously had loads of things going on there, speaks about his loneliness and is still seeking families/mothers to confide in.

All is quiet I see...

And is it good or bad? :scratch: :fear: >>>
tumblr_m4wjc0L3el1rqzn5so1_500.gif
:(

You never know. It could be good in that no one is paying attention to this case right now. It could be bad in that schemes & more lies are being planned.

It was a commercial that was airing in mid-late 1992, I had thought it was Pepsi Dreams as I thought this ad was aired in 1991.

The tapes are interesting though, as they were taped from 1990-1992 during Wade's supposed abuse and MJ obviously had loads of things going on there, speaks about his loneliness and is still seeking families/mothers to confide in.

I wonder if Glenda could be called as a character witness. After all her friendship and long phone conversations with Michael was during the time when Wade now alleges he was molested.

Not to mention he speaks about how he wants to have a real relationship with a woman, and which women he was/is interested in. This was before there were ever any allegations of child molestation. He'd have no reason to lie about this in a private phone conversation which he didn't know was being recorded. No mention of Wade anywhere in the 3.5 hours of footage even though Michael was supposedly talking to him every day.

I don't know much about Michael's Pepsi commercials. Is the one he's talking about on the tapes different than the one that supposedly had a white boy in it? If so, this one wasn't aired in the US either so that doesn't have to mean anything.

I wonder if Glenda could be called as a character witness. After all her friendship and long phone conversations with Michael was during the time when Wade now alleges he was molested.

Then there will be a huge list of character witnesses. Wade's family will look increasingly ridiculous in contrast.

Wade's quiet right now because he's waiting to see what will happen to his claim with the estate/his lawsuits, I know once this fails 100% he will seek high paid media deals about this. Right now he can't be seen as greedy and exploitative. When he gets a chance to though, he will.

If wade does go to media if this lawsuit doesnt go ahead it will make him look bad a especially since no one has paid attention to his case anyway

Back