Do people become MJ fans when they're children or there is really no age limit?

I agree. This will sound bonkers, considering I've been on MJJC for almost 2 years, but I've realised I don't really want to talk about Michael. Not properly, anyway. It's far too personal and private. It's not that I'm having mad, wild fantasies about him. It's much more sober than that, lol. But it's my Michael story and I'm not that keen on setting out every last detail of it even on this board.

If that makes sense!
Yes, of course, I understand this.
-Ugh, I don't know how to reply in one post, lol, I'm such an a-technical dudette-

Ok, here's a related thread, just so we can get some data:

Please can we all take 5 seconds to vote?

Nostalgic, yes, like nostalgic about place where one grows up, about college days. But that does not mean one cannot develop new interests in their 30s/40s, and that includes developing new interests in music
I'm not saying it's cause and effect. I'm just saying it happens. How often do you see a pensioner in a record store? You don't, because it doesn't happen. They become very closed-minded, stop watching movies, stop watching new TV shows, never have enough time to keep up with stuff, etc.

In fact, you might even use that to explain why all the record stores (and cinemas and bookshops) have closed - because old people don't buy music, and because young people only stream, therefore no need for record stores any more.

Something like 57% of the American population is above 30, and about 62% of the UK. If all the 30/40/50/60/70/80 year olds kept discovering new music, there'd be a queue around the block of every record store in the world.

Possibly. But there is also the fact that we never get told how many people are in the studies. How were the questions worded? Was there any follow-up? Who was funding the research and did that influence the possible results? How representative was the group of people that were invited to take part? Etc etc. Those studies are fine as far as they go. They are not the whole story, imo.
They do tell you how many people are in the studies - it's usually a key point. Like, it's not just a few - it's hundreds of studies, each containing thousands of people, representative of different countries and age groups, using wording that follows industry best-practice, with no pressure from outside influences (ie, they're peer-reviewed before being accepted for publication). Etc.

Go have a chat with some old people. A few years ago I used to spend some time in an old people's home, and it was always "60s greats" being played, and never Drake. Funny that.

In the end we get to appreciate Michael at exactly the right time. I honestly believe that. I've been into Michael since J5 but my interest has definitely ebbed and flowed differently at different times. And I'm fine with that. My love affair with him really exploded with Thriller bc that's when he really blossomed as a dancer. OTW was a very quiet time for me since I'm not mad keen on that album. So it's been interesting. He is so many things for me. He just means so much but I wouldn't ever want to try to explain what I mean by that.

Yeah, staywild is the business! :love:

The Bad era? BWT 1987 for me! šŸ˜²

Brisbane 1987 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! šŸ”„
Yes, at the right time. I feel that this was the right time for me.
The whole Bad era. Yokohama '87, Wembley '88 , Rome '88, Brisbane '87. And the bits and parts I can find related to this glorious tour on YT.
Electric storm Michael...

They do tell you how many people are in the studies - it's usually a key point. Like, it's not just a few - it's hundreds of studies, each containing thousands of people, representative of different countries and age groups, using wording that follows industry best-practice, with no pressure from outside influences (ie, they're peer-reviewed before being accepted for publication). Etc.
I'm talking about MSM coverage of research studies. Most people do not work as academic researchers. Most people do not read about research studies in the relevant academic journals. Most of us find out about academic research by other means. In my case, MSM. For other people, perhaps it's social media.

MSM reports on academic research routinely do not give nearly enough information about the study and I can understand why even though I find it endlessly frustrating. The way research is reported in the papers frequently comes in for criticism; it's not just me who finds it inadequate.

I... don't know what MSM is, but it doesn't matter. We're being sidetracked.

It doesn't matter what sort of coverage it gets on the TV, it doesn't matter about social media or newspapers or any of that. These sorts of things are true regardless of whether you've heard of them, and regardless of what you do for a job.

If it's from a good quality journal, and if you're not going to take the time actually to read the original, then do yourself a favour and just trust that their QA systems work.

I... don't know what MSM is, but it doesn't matter. We're being sidetracked.
Indeed!

It doesn't matter what sort of coverage it gets on the TV, it doesn't matter about social media or newspapers or any of that. These sorts of things are true regardless of whether you've heard of them, and regardless of what you do for a job.

If it's from a good quality journal, and if you're not going to take the time actually to read the original,
and you are not going to bother to find out what MSM means so ... whatever!

And as for how I'm currently spending my time. Well, my mother is on an end-of-life pathway right now so I'm very picky about what I devote my attention to, atm.

then do yourself a favour and just trust that their QA systems work.
I'm fully aware of how academic research works, thanks all the same!

Just to be clear, I said this about those studies re people and their middle-aged musical tastes:
[...] It's not that I'm dismissing the academic studies that have been done telling us that many people mostly stick to the music from their teen years. It's more that I think ... that's not the whole story, not even close.

and you are not going to bother to find out what MSM means so ... whatever!
To be honest, I did google MSM, there were no obvious results. I then googled MSM coverage, and MSM reporting and MSM news, and all it did was suggest MSN. I considered you might have made a typo, then I noticed you typed it three times. At that point, I reminded myself that these sorts of things are true regardless of whether you've heard of them, and that likewise, these sorts of things are true regardless of whether I've heard of them, so I moved on. I don't need to know what MSM is.

And as for how I'm currently spending my time
Really sorry to hear about your situation. As it happens, I'm actually in a similar place with mine.

Just to be clear, I don't want to turn this into an argument. I'm just curious what sort of statements you're willing to accept.

Just to be clear, I said this about those studies re people and their middle-aged musical tastes:
Fair enough.

Let's forget studies for the moment. Let's see if we can get any further in answering the original question.

Do you agree with the assertion that people of different ages have different tastes?

If so, do you also agree with the logical extension that older people prefer older music and younger people prefer recent music?

Let's take this to the logical conclusion - older people are less likely to like new music. And similarly, older people are less likely to like any unfamiliar music.

If you're still with me at this step, then what are some of the reasons you think this might be the case?

Last edited:
Back