Do TV ads for future episodes or tv shows have to ask the Estate for permission to use MJ songs?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
I was watching the commercials just a few minutes ago and they were advertising for the new episodes of a popular Belgian tv show. They used Beat It as music.

But I don’t get it. I heard the Estate were very tough about these things and that it is very costly to use MJ music in for example a trailer or a film. So how is it possible that a simple trailer for a local tv episode is able to use beat it?

I read somewhere, that they sold Billie Jean song for 2000$ for commercial. Estate are really greedy, when It comes to earn money from Michael's songs 😔

I read somewhere, that they sold Billie Jean song for 2000$ for commercial. Estate are really greedy, when It comes to earn money from Michael's songs 😔
Isn’t the whole purpose to keep MJ’s music alive via any and all means? I don’t see how it’s a negative thing to use his music for TV commercials (depending on the subject matter).

Isn’t the whole purpose to keep MJ’s music alive via any and all means? I don’t see how it’s a negative thing to use his music for TV commercials (depending on the subject matter).
I agree with Paul. It cheapens the songs. MJ and The Beatles are not some acts that really need more exposure. At least not this kind.

Back